crystal chronicles echoes of time

DrHammy

anyone else planning on picking this up? I love the cc series, and so I plan to pick this up. Plus ds - wii online cross platform play with out friend codes required. Oh yeah.

I would advise against purchasing the Wii version (Metacritic score: 65), as what I've seen makes the game look like a DS emulator running on the Wii; however, the DS version scored a 77 on Metacritic and, while it looks like the same ol' cliches we've come to expect from Square-Enix, looks much better (in terms of interface, controls, and gameplay) than the Wii version.

Of course, Chrono Trigger DS was the last Square-Enix game I thought was worth buying, and I even passed on that purchase because of the price. ($40 USD for a re-re-release? C'mon, Square-Enix. Even if it IS the best RPG of all time, it's not exactly hot off the press.)

My brothers played the DS version, and they enjoyed it. It's more of a adventure game with FF slapped on the side of it, but it's a good distraction for about 15~ish hours. The lag is gone, but the AI has gotten stupider. Play with a friend. :D

But yeah, avoid the Wii version.

My main issue with the FFCC games is the control scheme. The game is far better suited to analog sticks (e.g. Playstation 2 controller) than a traditional four-directional pad. Using diagonal directional on the DS Lite feels awkward after even a short while.

If I'm going to be running around in 3D, I strongly prefer an analog stick.

But, hey, that's just my personal tastes.

well, I didn't think to check on this thread before I got it, but I picked up the wii version, and I have to say it's pretty cool, even if it is just a near direct port... You can resize each of the screens depending on what you need to see, which is handy, and the nunchuck controls, like tek mentioned, are better than the ds pad. Also, I've learned not to trust critics of videogames who are paid to play them. often times they are rushed when they review them, due to deadlines and having to review so many, which in turn makes their experience less fun, considering they must rush through asap and they get less chance to actually just sit back relax and enjoy the game. But that's just me. If I see a game I'm interested in, I'll ask my friends who have played it for their opinion and go by that.

Last edited:
Back