Custom map-making?

HockeyNut

Hi everyone! I have been wanting to make my own Team Fortress 2 map for me and my friend to play on,or anyone else who wants to use it,but I don't know how to make one. I could probably Google it (or YouTube it),but I felt like posting my question here. Does anyone know how to make one? And if not,does anyone know where I can find an easy,step-by-step guide to making one?

I know the ends and outs of how to make maps quite well... just not finish them (/see Boomtown thread erk, erk, XD.)

From the main Steam window click view, tools then on the list find "Source SDK" (the listing that says JUST Source SDK NOT Source SDK Base). Right click on that and click install. That will download the map making tool.

Then follow this https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Your_First_Map .

...and this is for TF2 specifics https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Team_Fortress_2_Level_Creation .

That should get you going :) .

Last edited:
Is there a way to upload my future map to the ToJ server so that people can play my map on there?
Yes, I'm the one who puts them up but don't get ahead of yourself to much. I'd really like to give a new map made by you a try but many of the maps completed by first timers suffer from major bugs (usually leaks, holes in the map caused by gaps between the brushes) and layouts that simply don't work. I have to consider the enjoyment of everyone playing a map when running it. I say this not to discourage you but be realistic in your goals and compare existing maps next to yours. Be prepared it takes time and effort to make a good map. Your first map does not have to be anywhere near Valve quality but if you slap something together that does not function I'd be forced to reject it. First get a handle on how maps are made and what makes for good game play. If you run into and specific problems just post in the forum Tek mentioned and I can try to help.

Last edited:
Ok,I haven't even downloaded the SDK thing,or read the two links you gave me,lol. I was just curious about that for when/if I make my own map. Is there a forum here for programming? Like computer programming? I have been wanting to learn some kind of programming language for some time now,but my dad has to do some research on it first. So until then,I really like learning little bits of info on my own.

Ok,I haven't even downloaded the SDK thing,or read the two links you gave me,lol. I was just curious about that for when/if I make my own map. Is there a forum here for programming? Like computer programming? I have been wanting to learn some kind of programming language for some time now,but my dad has to do some research on it first. So until then,I really like learning little bits of info on my own.

We do not have a forum for programing specifically but you could use use the forum Tek mentioned for game programing questions as it is meant for game design. I happen to know at least a few members have programed a little. Realistically though you will want to seek help elsewhere if you want to get into programming. The guys here could probably point you in a direction to learn but not give you explicit aid. There is a whole range of different programing languages to choose from and it is far more complex than map making. Map making for an existing game, with a sdk, does not require any programming. Now if you want to make a mod or a new game you will need programming or at least scripting skills.

On a side note if you do have a little programming knowledge one can see how the entities in the TF2 map editor are laid out program wise. It can be kind of edifying if one ever wanted to make a game engine.

My advice is baby steps dude lest you become overwhelmed and discouraged. Ask in that forum what programming language should I learn first and if there are any good beginner sites to do so.

Last edited:
Back