Damage meter mods

Mods like SWStats and Damage Meters are great for at-a-glance, "how am I doing" information reporting. I like using them for instant feedback: "Am I doing as well as I should be? Should I be trying harder?"

However, if you want a tool to do a more thorough analysis, I would recommend recording your combat log and running it through WoW Web Stats. I found WWS invaluable for tracking down where I was failing to do dps during certain encounters. As a raid leader it was also great for analysing the other people in the raid for weaknesses.

WWS will give a breakdown of the whole raid, or each attempt on a boss. You can see stats by class, or look at an individual person. It will show each spell or ability used, how many crit, how many missed/resisted, and the min, max, and average damage. It will show buffs/trinkets used, pots used, etc.

WoW Web Stats site:
http://wowwebstats.com/

Example of a log: Elitist Jerks kill of Gruul
http://wowwebstats.com/qhbzndj3qeynq?s=12125-12296

For example, when I looked at my own logs from Gruul fights, I could see that that I was getting too many resists and so I needed to work on more +hit gear. I also saw that my active dps time (time during the encounter actually spent doing damage) was lower than I liked, so i could focus on improving that. I would recommend trying it out, even on a Mech run for example, then uploading the log and looking over the resulting webpage. It is quite beneficial.

Lastly, whenever running any sort of meters or combat logging, be sure to add these parameters to your <your wow install dirrectory>/WTF/Config.wtf file:

SET CombatLogRangeCreature "200"
SET CombatLogRangeFriendlyPlayers "200"
SET CombatLogRangeFriendlyPlayersPets "200"
SET CombatLogRangeHostilePlayers "200"
SET CombatLogRangeHostilePlayersPets "200"
SET CombatLogRangeParty "200"
SET CombatLogRangePartyPet "200"
SET CombatDeathLogRange "200"

The default logging range is quite small. The greater your range, the more accurate your damage meters will be. Some encounters require the group to spread out quite a bit, and you may not pick up their actions if your logging range is short.

Remember in 2.4 they are completly changing the combat log. This will make damage meters so much more correct and i'm sure there will be a few new mods asap out there that will take advantage of this change.

Back