Dedicated server

L

Lithonis

Hey I'm making a server, on a different computer, how will it work with the cdkeys for hl? can I still run a dedicated server and play on it with my other computer?

I am pretty sure you can as long as your run the server using hlds.exe instead of starting the server ingame.

well if you are on a lan you can have the server as a "internet game" but you can still join as a "LAN" game.

so your wonid wont be checked.

Ok so far I have a server up and running, I now just need to figure out admin mod.

But I have a mojor problem

No one can join, zipy and I have been trying to work on it, but it seems my router wont let outsiders in the game. its possible it has something to do with the forwarding, but I'm not sure. the ip I enter to join the server is 192.168.1.4 I'm also using a linksys 4-port router.

any help I will be grateful for.

ya i have the same prob wit my router.

192.168.0.4 is ur lan ip but not ur real ip.

it seems u have to do somthing like forward ur ip or packets or somthing to host. it has somthing to do wit the router blocking it like u sed. but im no xpert

yup in your router's configuration utility it should allow u to open up certain ports (there's like 6 of them) if these port's aren't opent he CS won't run as a pub server

you need to set 4 as the dmz host on your router so that your computer will let you host a game.  then go to www.whatismyip.com and get your external ip from there.

type in 192.168.1.1 in IE to access your router. password should be administrator (or however you spell it) then go to setup, then to dmz host. check to make sure which local ip is yours and then set accordingly with the dmz host.

DO NOT USE DMZ

there is a safer way, DMZ will set the computer completley outside of the router, so you wont have the hardware firewal protecting it anymore.

heres what to do..

go to your router using your browser 192.168.0.1 if you didnt change it.
then find something called "virtual server" or "port forwarding" and open the folowing ports..

UDP 27015
TCP 27005
TCP 6003
TCP 7002
UDP 27010
UDP 27011
UDP 27012

now go to a place like this to give your ip to other people, because the address you will be connecting to is local (different)

Back