Motherboard Motherboard
Graphics Card
Ram 8Gigs
Power Supply
Hard Drive
Windows 7
CD drive
and the case HAF Case

now you can change the case and the power supply if youd like but i was able to buy everything for about 700$ without the case. You could get a standard case for pretty cheap. If your lookin for a good computer that will run well and with high graphics detail this would do.

And replace that graphics card with one in stock with 256 bit 1gb ddr5. And make sure your power can support it.

My end product

After much searching I have made my decision. I am choosing an ACER brand desktop specifically designed for high performance gaming!

I have only one remaining issue. They have two models which cost the same and only differ in their processor speed. My gut says to just go with the higher because higher is better right? Here is a link where the two models are compared:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/compare/PT.SG6P2.001-PT.SHBP2.001

I should be ordering this tomorrow! Hope to hear from you before noon!

~Dika

Looks pretty good. Hard drive rpm's are low. Thta will effect performance quite a bit. Should be 7200 or 10,000 for a speedy rig. Power supply is small too. It should work if they put everything together but it may run hot and will eventually cause problems if it's borderline.

To your question tho, yes, faster is (almost) always better

Alienware...

After searching and searching I am still finding that every computer lacks one or two traits that I desire.

For about 1,200 (and two more months of savings) I could buy and alien ware computer which I am starting to believe is the end all of gaming computers.

Any owners out there? I will like the model I am interested in below:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-aurora-r3/pd.aspx?~ck=mn

I'm in love...

After searching and searching I am still finding that every computer lacks one or two traits that I desire.

For about 1,200 (and two more months of savings) I could buy and alien ware computer which I am starting to believe is the end all of gaming computers.

Any owners out there? I will like the model I am interested in below:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-aurora-r3/pd.aspx?~ck=mn

I'm in love...

I was going to rip it because it's not NewEgg, but the specs are decent. Good find.

The specs might be nice, but the price is not.

...which I am starting to believe is the end all of gaming computers.

That's not entirely true. The end all of all gaming computers is the one you build yourself with all the options you want. (It's not hard either.)

Last edited:
that's a given.

But for a premade one, I would trust Dell more so then an Ibuypower or other boutique shop. I def like them WAY more then an Acer. Of course you can drop 6 grand on a Falcon Northwest system but that's not the point of this thread. Alienware are pretty solid machines and a lot of fun to play with all the added toys they ship with. It was a rocky few years when Dell bought them out but now they are doing a good job in my opinion.

A good place to configure a good gaming PC with A LOT of options is cyberpowerpc.com. They currently have lots of Halloween specials and other deals including mail in rebates on some items.

The Acer computer you listed earlier comparably equipped from them (i5-2500 3.3 GHz, 8 Gig of DDR3 1600 mem and a 1TB 7200 rpm hard drive were better than the Acer and the closest options) was 695.

The amount of customization they allow and the huge number or parts they carry for the PC's they build make it a little overwhelming but worth it for anyone that wants to build a PC without having to assemble it themselves and still get a really good price. They do both Intel and AMD so everyone but the Apple nerds will be happy there.

As another plus they also carry fully customizable laptops.

Finally, the computer I looked at for you on there also came with a free copy of BF3.

(My gaming rig was bought from them 5 years ago and is still running solid)

Last edited:
I think Acer is doing better currently than how a lot of people describe. I was completely content with my two previous Acers.

I just saw your list and I would seriously swap out the Intel-based parts for AMD parts - they're always cheaper for the same performance.

Cyberpower is good from what I hear as well. I have no experience with them.

Acer is crap since they bought out Gateway, actually they were crap before that too and now they made Gateway crap. Odale just got lucky 2 times. I see hundreds of busted acers in my line of work . I would never buy a HP or an Acer after seeing what I have seen in this job the last 6 years.

FInal thanks!

Thanks you guys! Your feedback has been helpful.
I am going to save an extra two months for the Alienware model!
It should be the model I posted above, so if any of you want to play around with it and offer a few add-ons feel free to post them. I know I am going to swap out the graphic card for the Alienware recommended $50 more (The reviews said it would help prevent hot internal temperatures).

Thanks again!

The Aurora comes with a dual video setup. This is useful for running multiple monitors. You have downgraded to a single video card that is more powerful. Good choice if you don't run multiple monitors.

However a slightly more powerful rig from Cyberpower will run you just over a grand. I'm not sure what power supply they put in but Alienware used to have great reputation (it's slid some since Dell bought them out) and would probably put a larger one in. Cyberpower recomended at least a 700W power supply so I stuck in an 850W one. They also only do 4 or 8 gig of memory so I slapped in 8 timed at 1600 instead of the slower 1333 you will be getting. It's also hard to judge not knowing what motherboard comes with the PC so I used the standard one that Cyberpower uses. Total cost with no extras other than win 7 was $1142.

Alienware used to be a really good company and still builds powerful rigs but you pay for the name now and you get Dell quality... (good but not great)

Wow just checked out Cyberpowers site. What a FUN site! So many options, so many awesome options. I just had the best time window shopping and custom config on a system.

The Aurora comes with a dual video setup. This is useful for running multiple monitors. You have downgraded to a single video card that is more powerful. Good choice if you don't run multiple monitors.

However a slightly more powerful rig from Cyberpower will run you just over a grand. I'm not sure what power supply they put in but Alienware used to have great reputation (it's slid some since Dell bought them out) and would probably put a larger one in. Cyberpower recomended at least a 700W power supply so I stuck in an 850W one. They also only do 4 or 8 gig of memory so I slapped in 8 timed at 1600 instead of the slower 1333 you will be getting. It's also hard to judge not knowing what motherboard comes with the PC so I used the standard one that Cyberpower uses. Total cost with no extras other than win 7 was $1142.

Alienware used to be a really good company and still builds powerful rigs but you pay for the name now and you get Dell quality... (good but not great)

So the rig has an 875W power supply. I also have a choice with between 6-8 gigs of 1333 memory (30 dollar difference), but they had an option to upgrade to 4 gigs at 2133 for $50! That would mean less storage space but extremely high performance right? That might be a better way to go for me because I could use my old PC for storage of files, music, videos ect. while filling my Alienware PC with choice games.

The grand total is $1349, but I do get liquid cooling, a cool looking chassis, no hassle and a one year warranty.

Last edited:
Really 6 gigs of memory is good. 8 is better but not too much. Clock speed (1333, 1600,2000) on the memory is what's important (sorta). Memory is hwere the computer stores it's thoughts as its thinking so I'd go with at least 6 for Win 7. Faster speeds = faster thoughts. Bigger size = more thouhts.

I'm running a raid 1 setup on my computer with two 7200 rpm hard drives. It spreads the data out over two hard drives to improve access speed (speeding up your system) but if anything happens to one of the drives you lose everything on both.

If you can afford it, get a 10,000 rpm hard drive or solid state (still to expensive to justify). That will speed things up too.

I'd go with a smaller hard drive and get an external later if I could got with a 10,000 rpm. Just don't go too small for your operating needs.

Also get the best video card you can afford. That will be the real bottleneck on the system. I'd step down a little if I could get a bit more memory on my card.

If you're sold on the Alienware enjoy it. But I really think you can get a better rig (both in content and looks) for less money and then use the money you save to get whatever games you want.

Last edited:
ewok could you post something that you consider a pretty good build that would run high end games well that wont completely make me go poor?

Wow just checked out Cyberpowers site. What a FUN site! So many options, so many awesome options. I just had the best time window shopping and custom config on a system.

I know! I could spend days playing on there with my lottery dream. However, it must be mentioned I did buy my laptop for tigerdirect as a refurb for a slightly better price.

ewok could you post something that you consider a pretty good build that would run high end games well that wont completely make me go poor?

A complete build? I just built an awesome PC for 1300... I could cut off a bit beings I bought some fun things.

Back