Do you buy games from the Nintendo eShop?

Tek7@Work

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
I had originally intended to post this reply in the eShop sales thread, but didn't want to risk de-railing that thread (especially since it's stickied).

So here goes:

I am going to grab MHU and SMT IV. :)
I'm planning on buying a physical copy of SMT IV after I finish Pokemon X (the main single-player campaign, at least) and Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (which I'm waiting to start until I finish A Link to the Past) and even then only after I can find it for $30 or less shipped.

My wife and I both own 3DS XLs and I want to be able to share games with her. I also don't like the game being tied to the hardware and being unable to resell it. It's one thing when I buy a $4 game on Steam and can download it and play it on any of my 3 computers. It's quite another to drop $30 on a 3DS game and have to worry about losing another $30 value on top of the $215 I spent on the hardware if it's stolen.

If and when Nintendo introduces a hardware-independent account system (and it's embarrassing that they haven't already don so; it's 2014, for cryin' out loud!), I'll take a closer look at eShop purchases. As it stands, unless a game is less than $10 and not available in physical cartridge format, I won't even consider buying anything on the eShop.

I agree with your frustration. Although not sure the implications of this article http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2014/01/nintendo_planning_to_offer_flexible_price_points_for_games. But looks like they are maybe trying to catch up to current marketing mechanics. Not holding my breath though. :)

Of course with the sd card system transfer capability it does allow for some change. I did notice something about a account/games backup under the eshop announcements. Not sure what all it entails or how it works though.

Last edited:
Call me old fashioned, but I much prefer cartridges to downloading the game on my system. Helps with IRL inventory management!

Well, I must say, I went against what I normally avoid (as in buying digital Nintendo games), and bought SMT IV for $29. I got a $35 card for around $24 with a $5 gift card and employee discount. Anyways, just tried out the first 30 minutes of the tutorial/intro. I love the atmosphere and premise behind the games build...the "demons" (though only a few encountered now) are very well developed and interesting. I understand that the Japanese idea of angels and demons is a bit different than the Christian worldview, so it helps to remember that to keep things in perspective of where the story arc(s) are coming from.

Agreed. Japanese media tends to present youkai (frequently translated "demons," but not necessarily analogous to demons as presented in Western art and media) as creatures that are neither inherently good nor bad. Someone unfamiliar with Japanese culture could easily misconstrue a game like SMT IV or Persona as promoting demonic activity when, in reality, the game designers have no such intention and are probably just out to make something that they think looks "cool." Neon Genesis Evangelion did the same thing with imagery from Christianity and Jewish mysticism (all the while promoting a Jungian worldview).

I still advise people to follow their conscience regarding what they play. If they feel convicted while playing Diablo III or God of War or any other game, then they should stop. SMT and its spinoff series (including Persona) feature imagery and content that may present stumbling blocks to younger Christians or Christians who have come out of backgrounds involving the occult. Most SMT games are very well-made, but no game is worth a heavy conscience.

That being said, I plan on purchasing SMT IV once I clear through more of my backlog and the retail game goes on sale for $30 (or less) again.

Last edited:
Back