Downloading Sonicflood

I'm not hung up on the whole legal/illegal music debate. I purchased legally their first three CDs but have lost them, so I don't have a problem downloading the music.

No, it isn't that simple. As I stated, I legally bought three cds, so re-downloading the music that was on those cds is perfectly acceptable in my eyes.

Mr_Slice said:
No, it isn't that simple. As I stated, I legally bought three cds, so re-downloading the music that was on those cds is perfectly acceptable in my eyes.
No, HCS, that's completely legal. I do it all the time for my scratched CDs and such. Mr. Slice owns the CD already, so he can make as many copies as he wants for personal use -- wheather that's a CD or not it doesn't matter. As far as I know, ripping a CD is legal, too, right?

Anyway, Mr. Slice, a good place to get music is Shareaza. It's open source, spyware/adware/malware free, and uses all the big P2P networks. =)

I'm not sure what can serve as "proof of purchase" and provide legitimate legal ground to make a "fair use" copy, but I know that BitTorrent and P2P programs are not a legal option in this scenario as you're distributing (uploading) the file as well as downloading it.

Even if you can find someone who's willing to rip the CDs and host them on a personal FTP server, that person will be breaking copyright.

As far as I know, there's no legal solution here. Believe me, I've thought this one through. I had several of my favorite CDs stolen several years ago and I'd love to download digital copies (especially Mariah Carey's second album, Emotions) but recognize I'd either break copyright law or cause someone else to break copyright law.

Last edited:
Use a P2P program and manually cancel any downloads other people initiate until your music has downloaded. That's how I am still able to listen to Paradigm Shift's now-out-of-print CD. Mine is too scratched to play any more.

kraniac said:
Use a P2P program and manually cancel any downloads other people initiate until your music has downloaded. That's how I am still able to listen to Paradigm Shift's now-out-of-print CD. Mine is too scratched to play any more.
Hm. I'm sure there's also a way to shut off uploads completely (or set them at like 4 bytes per second, something really really low) so nothing gets out.

I actually have used Bearshare in the past. It's a pay service, but allows you to completely turn off uploading. I believe uploading is the illegal action, not downloading, correct?

Uploading is how people have been busted by the RIAA recently. Yes there is a way in most popular programs to shut it off.

I used www.zpoc.com to replace christian cds that I own but ive lost. (Including my beloved autographed TFK Phenomenon cd :() It is a program based on the DC++ client. Browse around online, find a tutorial for DC++. I do not condone downloading music that you have not already purchased, and is available through a store/itunes.

Sonicflood's first CD used to be legally available to download for free on their website. Apparently it isn't anymore. Honestly, the group just isn't the same since a majority of the band members have changed (lead singer, guitarist, and keyboardist). Jeff Deyo, the former lead singer, is solo now and you can check him out at http://www.jeffdeyo.com.

Thanks for that info, Tolkien. I've been on a long hiatus from Christian music. This just happens to be one of my favorite bands (and ironically, I am mostly referring to their first CD).

Back