Dungeons and Dragons Online: Stormreach

The "it's not a race to endgame" argument has been used about GW, FFXI, WoW, and almost every other MMO out there-- pre-release. Generally, these are the honest dreams from fans of that particular series/genre, but sadly these idyllic thoughts are shattered time and again by power gamers who often can't put together a complete sentence and still use acne cream.

(No offense to teens meant.)

I hope for the sake of all you AD&D fans that the game lives up to everything you hope it will be, but don't be shocked when "xXx Sephiroth Drizzt xXx" calls you a n00b because you've only got a +4 Vorpal sword instead of the +5.

[toj.cc]WildBillKickoff said:
I hope for the sake of all you AD&D fans that the game lives up to everything you hope it will be, but don't be shocked when "xXx Sephiroth Drizzt xXx" calls you a n00b because you've only got a +4 Vorpal sword instead of the +5.

Even though I love D&D I won't buy this game, mainly becuase of that reason, and the money it would cost me. However I do hope the WotC maybe monitors names and makes sure people use "real" names.

Nightravn,
What time do you think your Friday night group would start playing? (we're on EST time here). Our son games with us on the weekends since he can stay up late. At this point we're all just level one - Rogue, Cleric and Fighter. I'm Crystabel or Rhaele in game. I'll keep an eye out for you in game as well.

Mr. Slice,
Yep we'll be playing Vanguard. We've got friends who are on the development team so we've been following it's progress. I'm sure it will be quite good since its from the original creators of EQ (up to the Velious expansion).
I'm not in the Old Timer's Guild but when I saw the amount of people you posted (300+) I recognized it from checking them out earlier. We still haven't decided what to do guild wise - let us know how OTG is treating each other and when they might allow recruiting again. I meant to post over there asking about their policy on families playing since our son is not over 25 :)

Oh, does everyone here use the voice chat thing? We're using fingers and keys with letters on them here at this point :)

Crys

I use to play D&D all the time, alone and in my underwear. YAY.

I won't be playing DDO, because I don't like MMORPG's. I'm waiting for a good MMOFPS to come out. I saw one on Shacknews.com some time ago, but I cannot remember the name of it.

Crytabel- Well anytime is good for after 7-8ish EST. I am on CST so I am an hour behind you. I would like to see the group start at 8CST/9EST but can most night do 7CST/8EST and I like Friday Nights for the ability to stay up later and play. As for your Characters they are perfect as Nightravn is a Sorcorer or I could use a Wizard char instead. I will be ingame tonight and will check for you chars. You are on Ghallandra server right?

WildBill- Ohh there are going to definitely be powergamers who race to the end as fast as possible and then run around thinking they are the leet but it will not effect my game what so ever. They can interact with me only if I choose to allow them so let them take a month to hit level 10 and runaround with the vorpal swords... they probally wont stay to long at 15 a month with nothing left to do. I will take my time, play with my group and get to level ten just about the time they release the expanision to up the level to 20 in a year or so. You can always /ignore those pesky leet Dolts.

Last edited:
The problem with powergamers isn't in the things that can be /ignored-- it's with their incessant need to have the best equipment, which drives the price on said equipment up so high that whole economy inflation follows closely behind. Basically, they make it so that non-power gamers have to spend hours and hours farming or be content with sub-standard equipment.

Also another good point about powergamers but it won't be an issue in DDO as it is not a player run economy so there is no price inflation. Items are basically priced as in the DMG. Though most people will be finding the items in quests and not on the very few vendors that players can sell the loot to.

DDO is quite different than most MMOs. There is no XP given and there are no items rewarded for killing monsters. Instead, you must complete an entire quest before receiving a reward. As mentioned above, the uber items are all going to come from chests and quest rewards anyway. The majority of players are not kids who want to have the cool loot, so that won't be an issue like in most every other game. Older players are more interested in completing these intricate quests using tactics with other party members rather than blazing through to get another level.

9 EST is good here, it's about when we usually start playing. And yep, we're on Ghallandra. :)

Nightravn said:
Crytabel- Well anytime is good for after 7-8ish EST. I am on CST so I am an hour behind you. I would like to see the group start at 8CST/9EST but can most night do 7CST/8EST and I like Friday Nights for the ability to stay up later and play. As for your Characters they are perfect as Nightravn is a Sorcorer or I could use a Wizard char instead. I will be ingame tonight and will check for you chars. You are on Ghallandra server right?

[toj.cc]WildBillKickoff said:
The problem with powergamers isn't in the things that can be /ignored-- it's with their incessant need to have the best equipment, which drives the price on said equipment up so high that whole economy inflation follows closely behind. Basically, they make it so that non-power gamers have to spend hours and hours farming or be content with sub-standard equipment.

thus, my problem with D2. I loved making wierd builds, like the singing Barb, or meleeing Sorc, but the game itself is devoted to power gamers, (especially with the newest patches) not to people like me.

Mr_Slice said:
DDO is quite different than most MMOs. There is no XP given and there are no items rewarded for killing monsters. Instead, you must complete an entire quest before receiving a reward. As mentioned above, the uber items are all going to come from chests and quest rewards anyway. The majority of players are not kids who want to have the cool loot, so that won't be an issue like in most every other game. Older players are more interested in completing these intricate quests using tactics with other party members rather than blazing through to get another level.

If that's the case, it may be an MMO I can supplement my GW time with. I'm going to see how Factions plays out in a few weeks though-- it may have enough content to keep me occupied for a while.

I just started playing DDO and my impression is quite lackluster.

MEH

Every character/class looks very much the same.

There's very little loot

You can only rest at inns and shrines?!?!

You can only use a rest shrine...ONCE??

If I have to run across the map to rest at an inn...at least make it automatic, why the heck should I have to stand around waiting to regen? I can't even sit in a chair!

Something exciting better happen soon or I won't make it past the free 30 days

Have you ever played D&D? It's not about massive loot. It's about adventuring. It's about the story, about playing your role. DDO has done these things very well. The character classes play nothing alike and each has its time where it will be needed to complete a quest. Yes, you can only rest once at a shrine. That means you actually have to think about the fact that you're getting pounded on and try to avoid it, or have a cleric with you at all times.

Maybe it's not just for you. DDO is not supposed to be like WoW or Everquest or Guild Wars. It's supposed to resemble a pen and paper game, and it did a pretty good job of that.

Dark Virtue - You can sit in a chair at the inn. Just stand on the chair and type /sit. I personally take a nap on the tables with /sleep. :)

Nightravn - We had a great time last night even if we were just doing the initial level 1 quests! We'll look into getting some voice chat stuff set up so you know better what's going on from our side.

Crys

Thanks Crystabel...that's a bit more of a hassel than in WoW, where you can actually click and the chair and "use" it.

The one frustrating bit is still having to rely rest shrines to recoup mana and hp's.

I would love to try this out, is there any free trial or something like that someone can hook me up with or tell me about?

I just bought it. It's installing now. I'll post my thoughts on it as soon as I have some.

Phantom, there's a guest pass that comes with the game, but you'd have to find some way of getting the CDs yourself-- I'm not going to mail them to you. :p

Back