Durids: Dis Thred is 4 spec!!

Neirai the Forgiven

Christian Guilds List Manager
Post your speccs, argue about them, that sort of thing.

Neirai's Build

After debating whether or not to get the unadulterated sweetness that is mangle or whether to go with the clearcasting formula of 14 points in resto, I chose Omen of Clarity because I figure I hold aggro well enough as it is. The clearcast serves to help me out in sticky situations where I don't have enough rage generation.

Moreover it pwnz in cat form. Proccs alot and reduces those 40 Energy Claw attacks to 0 energy w00t. That'll help with the soloing process :)

Hm. I'm at work and can't double-check it right now, but I'm fairly certain that this is Herekitykity's cat build.

Ugh, gotta run. finish this later.

You really Should..

You really should get that 1 point in mangle. It does some super dps.:D

Randy --- No OofC? I know you can't get it AND mangle, but I'm not sure it's not the better of the two. Ahh well I guess the only way to find out is to duel someone else doing the same thing. :p

It was a toss up. I started with OoC and played with it a little bit soloing. Then I respec'd and picked up mangle and PvPd a bit. Manage is way better than OoC from a damage standpoint. Not only does mangle do a considerable amount of damage, it also makes your bleed effect hit for about 8 times what it normally does (400 instead of 50, IIRC).

The nice thing is that it works in both cat and bear forms... it's a huge source of damage (and therefore threat) in bear form, that doesn't require "on next hit" the way that maul does... Mangle hits immediately. Yes, it costs more rage, but it's instant and does as much damage, causes DOT, and gives damage warriors, rogues, and other druids a nice damage bonus as well.

Basically, it was HUGE in PvP, even without hemo rogues or warriors.

hmm I see :)

I went OoC because I figured that as a bear tank, I don't need the added aggro generation atm, and therefore OoC is better cuz it lets me keep going in bad situations (knockback, stun, PW:S, etc.)

yeh, I'll probably OoC at 61, also.

Oh..and John...could you imagine if frenzied regen clicked off from OoC? *drool at all the free health*

pvp build

Hey, would you say then, that a mangle build would be ideal if you're gearing for pvp? How about fastest leveling? I'm currently building up a level 24 durid.

mangle (I respecced to mangle) is definitely for fast leveling.

Unfortunately it also gimps your ista-rage generation (because you don't have 3/3 Absorbtion or whatever it is called now) until you hit about level 67. This drastically reduces your aggro capabilities unless you have insane +crit gear, which I don't have anymore :(

Feral Druid at level 29 -an observation

Hey, this isn't a question or a rant, just putting this out there to see if there is any agreement.

right now, with the intent to level as quickly as possible, i'm specced in 17 feral, 1 (Nature's Grasp) Balance and 2 Resto (Furor). I'm finding that I'm still dying A LOT while soloing, although this is probably due to my struggles with the druid learning curve. self-heals and dps seems adequate to bring down 1-2 regular mobs at my own level.

-However, I find that if I want to focus on crit and dps in the feral tree, I have to accept having all my growls resisted in instances, and just settle for being a healer, an off-tank/secondary dps

that's one of the hard things for feral druids... there are talents that you *really* need if you're going to tank that you don't need if you're focusing on your cat. The reverse also applies.

How to approach the situation will be different for everyone. First you have to decide a few things:
1) Do I want to be a bear, and subsequently have lower cat damage while soloing?
2) Do I want to be a cat, and have slightly inferior tanking ability?

Further, you should also consider your choice between:
3) Soloing, forgoing any instances pre-BC
4) Grouping, hitting every dungeon, perhaps multiple times

If your goal is to go for 1 & 4 - go bear, go lots of bear. Take a swipe at everything.
If your goal is more for soloing and 2 & 3 - prowl past the instance quests and keep soloing!

Something to keep in mind is that now there are far less people in Azeroth, so groups will be more difficult to find. You may or may not have much luck finding groups for instances if you don't want to heal. I decided to skip instances on my rogue and just power straight to 58, skipping all group quests, dropping every chain as soon as they said "go into a dungeon and..."

Ultimately, the choice on how you want to play belongs to you.

Actually, there is a very specific way in which I've been playing, which is to level quickly to join my 2 friends, one is a level 57 warrior, and the other is a level 33 mage. I'm not exactly power leveling, because i'm still checking out the instances (all these horde side leve 15 to 30 instances are all new to me). That said, i'm definitely spending the greater majority of time soloing. So thanks to you, I think my question is answered. Since i'm soloing more than i'm grouping, going for cat dps is going to make me most efficient.

PLUS, I'm on a PVP server, so that argues for +dps over +aggro.

When I do cap out though, I'm thinking of going Boomkin. As a compliment to warrior and mage to make a 3-man deathsquad. Any thoughts on that idea?

Thanks for your help!

"B"oomkin?
Isn't that OOMkin? :)

On the plus-side of oomkin, you get an aura that increases your mage friend's crit chance and your own. This is a cool thing. Also at the high levels you get a nice PVP cc.

However, if you go cat form, you can get an aura that increases your warrior friend's crit chance and your own -- and heals both. This is also very cool. And you get Maim which makes rogues cry.

However, don't take my obviously biased word for it. Once you hit level 40, I'd spend some time in both speccs, just to check it out. To facilitate this, at level 35+, start snagging gear for BOTH forms. The reason for doing this is that if you try to moonkin in all +str +agi gear, you WILL think it sucks. Same reason I suck as a healer -- I don't have the mana, the plus healing, or the regeneration.

Thanx for the advice! It's odd, although i'm leveling a melee druid right now, I have no +str gear, and only one +AP piece. Everything happens to be spirit and intellect. I guess it just worked out that way. Anyway, here's what I've learned about soloing so far, I wonder if this is deemed 'efficient'

For tough mobs at the limit of my ability who could accidentally trigger others:

Regrowth -> self
Starfire
Moonfire
Shift Bear or Cat depending on the enemy (elemental-bear, clothie-cat, etc.)
Nature's grasp
Melee
If it looks like i'm going to die, back to druid form and rejuv or thunderstomp+ healing touch
Back to melee

First, I have to tell you that I am a Resto Druid.

Second, when I do solo, my typical way of dealing with mobs is:
Roots
Starfire
Moonfire (repeat if the DoT wears off before the roots do)
hit a Regrowth as the mob approaches and switch to bear form
Melee
Pop out for a heal if needed and repeat

-Steve(MoonRazor)

Sounds good.

Your mana pool and your casting time must be way bigger and shorter than mine, respectively.

But yeah, ending up in bear form is good for the bonus mana regen.

I just feel like for me, in order to minimize downtime, i try to spend as much time in animal form as possible.

Back