Emergent gameplay

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
With Scribblenauts and Milo attracting so much attention at E3, now seemed like a proper time to start a discussion on emergent gameplay.
Emergent gameplay is the creative use of a video game in ways unexpected by the game designer's original intent. It commonly appears as complex behaviors that emerge from the interaction of simple game mechanisms.
Molyneux also claims that emergence (or emergent gameplay) is where game development is headed in the future.
Source: Emergent gameplay - Wikipedia

Aside from general discussion on emergent gameplay, I had a specific question in mind: Will emergent gameplay give Christian game developers a less heavy-handed way to promote Christian values in games?

If so, what would/will that look like?

Aside from general discussion on emergent gameplay, I had a specific question in mind: Will emergent gameplay give Christian game developers a less heavy-handed way to promote Christian values in games?

If so, what would/will that look like?

Yes. But you knew I'd say so.

I'm extremely overdue to give a technical write-up of how this works, tho.

Yes. But you knew I'd say so.

I'm extremely overdue to give a technical write-up of how this works, tho.
I actually had your Black Hour write-up in mind when I was posting this thread. I've read a good chunk of the thread, but need to print out the remainder so I can read it properly.

Yes, I suppose (when I think about it) Black Hour is intended to run on emergent behavior. By instituting real-world consequences and a realistic (although highly fictional) ability to explore the use of exploitive power (with real-world consequences,) my goal is to allow the players' realization of the destructive nature of prejudiced violence to emerge in their own, non-gaming lives.

I really don't have time this morning to talk about how emergent gameplay can be fostered by the Holy Spirit, but! I am going to be locked up at a Garage sale all day, and might just bring my lappy and type a whole bunch there.

I love the way ppl have done creative things with video games, especially the machinima.

on a side note...I have a hard time thinking/reading about Emergent gameplay and not having thoughts of the heretical and dangerous "Emergent Church" in my head.

on a side note...I have a hard time thinking/reading about Emergent gameplay and not having thoughts of the heretical and dangerous "Emergent Church" in my head.

Be careful about throwing around those adjectives -- not everyone (least of all me) thinks that the Emergent Church is heretical, although some very small subsets of it have been.

Edit: my apologies, I sound way too harsh in the above comment.

It's not my intent (never my intent) to shoot you down, ewoksrule. That would be very, very stupid of me.

However, the Emergent Church (read: post-modern church) is not heretical in nature. It is different, and this often finds people reacting to it as heretical. I (as a fairly thorough, but balanced post-modern Christian) do not really like being told that the Emergent Church is necessarily heretical, as doing so lumps a whole bunch of really solid Christian theology in with a few whackos.

My goal is not to call you names, ewoks, but rather to defend what is in fact a great thing happening in the church.

I'd also much rather create a new thread to talk about the Emergent Church than derail this one.

Sorry for sounding defensive and mean. It is not my intent :)

Last edited:
I am hesitant to ask BUT yes please do start a thread on the emergent church. I have never heard of it before. I have great pictures in my head of sermons on how there is "no outside the text of the bible" or "a deconstructive reading of religion" etc.

No offense taken, you didn't sound mean at all. If anything I see you took more then enough care to make sure you do not offend which is a skill many do not possess. (including myself)

Back