Engineer Update is up

Well Tek will hate me now but I got the Gunslinger in a random drop :D . I also got the pot hat for the Soldier. Oh yeah I crafted the Southern Hospitality too so I got all the Engineer weapons now and haven't even got the second milestone :p .
Random chance is not my friend.

But I have all 3 weapons, so I'm done paying attention to achievements. If I accidentally earn some in the normal course of play, great. If not, no bother.

I would have really liked them to have made a robot kinda like the one in the classless update
http://www.teamfortress.com/classless/hidden/populace/
my only other complaint is that the wrangler can be overpowered if it is around a corner with two other sentry.

I wanted a mobile sg or a robot dog but at the heart of it it's the same thing you want a controllable "pet". If you compare the classes in TF2 to mmorpgs standards the Engineer is the pet class.

Ok I've now played the Engineer update a good bit so I'll give my opinions...

1. On the ability to move things Valve fortunately added significant drawbacks to moving things, slower walking speed, build time, and you can't move a Sg in the process of setting up. Because of those things it doesn't break things as bad as I feared however it does vastly change how you play Engineer and still needs some nerfs. It is great it liberated the Engineer from having to be near ammo spawn points though. The things that may require nerfing are...

A. I've seen ubers/stickies coming in or have been getting large amounts of damage on my sg and simply picked it up and moved away until the threat had passed.

B. I've attempted being an offensive Engineer by following ubers or sneaking in with my level 3 SG/wrangler. The few times I've managed to do it cleans house good. Currently the problem doing it is other players are still playing uber rushes like normal and won't block enemies from killing you. It's frustrating now but if people actually learn to block for the Engineer, as opposed to letting enemies run right by to kill you T_T, it could become too powerful. At the same time unless you are an offensive class destroying a lvl 3 in the process of setting up after a move is too difficult. I've even directly hit one with 2-3 Grenades and it did not go down.

C. I have not tried to place a lvl 3 at spawn doors as yet but it's coming I know it. My theory is two Engineers one with the Gunslinger and one with a lvl 3 sg could do it best.

My suggestion fixes: I'd nerf the armor for lvl 3's in the setting up phase as it's too difficult for non-offensive classes to deal with both an Engineer and destroy his SG before it builds. I'd also add a short "packing up" time preventing immediately picking up your sg. I point to the first video on this page http://wiki.teamfortress.com/wiki/Sentry_rocket_jump that shows a wrangler/rocket jump/sg move that needs to be nerfed immediately. Teleports/bases in difficult to access locations are matter that my fixes won't address though.

2. On the Frontier Justice and Gunslinger. The Frontier Justice requires that you not only get kills with your SG but that your SG dies for you to be awarded them. I don't know about you but if I am playing defense I do my best to keep my lvl 3 up usually having it destroyed if I am already dead or going to die at the same time. This loses any crits you may have coming from your SG making the Frontier Justice less effective with a defensive level 3 sg. For better results play offensive Engineer with the Gunslinger. Temporary sgs die one after another so you'll get your crits when you are alive and can use them.

3. On the Wrangler. The Wrangler is by far the most fun of Engineer update weapons. I've used it effectively on both defense and offense though once again I've found it to be less effective with the Gunslinger than a level 3. A wrangled level 3's rocket splash damage also helps killing those who would "edge" kill your sg. While the increased range (and move ability) makes virtually any location at least usable for sgs in some regard. As far as the shield I don't find it overpowered itself though it could be with another Engineer repairing your sg while you control it. That makes it difficult to nerf properly as you can't just go down on the shield value and expect it to still be good solo.

Here are the 2 best working setups from the Engineer update I've worked out...

Setup 1 for offense:
Frontier Justice
Pistol
Gunslinger

With this setup you earn crits from the disposable sgs while the pistol aids in dps until you build up a stash of crits. One time I used this while taking a lvl 3 dispenser with me and had good results. I could build many sgs before I ran out of metal.

Setup 2 for offense or defense:
Shotgun
Wrangler
Southern Comfort

Our server has crits disabled so I'd use the Southern Comfort. On other servers I may not use it all the time as the regular wrench crits often, particularly on spies T_T. The increased flame damage using it does not seem significant unless you think you'll be going against a bunch of Pyros. I did find myself having difficulties using a crit-less Frontier Justice so I went back to using the shotgun with my level 3 with better results.

On the visuals I don't particularly like the looks of the Southern Comfort or Gunslinger but it's not that bad and I am slowly warming up to the arm. I guess it's good all the handicapped people now have a class they can relate to in TF2 :) , well there is the Demo's eye but that's not the same thing. Valve seems to have been lazy animating the ejection port's on the pistol in the Gunslinger hand and on the Frontier Justice though.

Note getting crits with the destruction of your stuff is similar to what I've suggested (somewhere can't find it :/) while the Wrangler reminds me of my mobile sentry idea which worked by remote http://www.cgalliance.org/forums/showthread.php?t=32289&highlight=Mobile+Sentry+Gun idea I had (a year ago). They both work a little different but are close enough to make me think I could make a game... just saying.

Finally I think the best thing of the update is the new maps. They are exactly what TF2 needed new good payload maps. Badwater and Goldrush are good but we need more maps like them as they are getting stale. Upwards is the best of the bunch, probably being the best official PL map yet. While Thunder Mountain is good it may need some nerfs to make the first level easier to take. Hightower is alright but can be a stalemate fest. Coldfront has good visuals but meh gamplay I would have picked a different map before it like Glacier.

Last edited:
Upwards is the best of the bunch, probably being the best official PL map yet.

As great of a map as Upwards is, Badwater and I would disagree with your statement.

While Thunder Mountain is good it may need some nerfs to make the first level easier to take.

Agreed. I really enjoyed Thunder Mountain, but the first section was way to hard for a first section. I found that I had a much harder time getting the first section than I did the 2nd, and that needs to be fixed.

Hightower is alright but is almost always a stalemate fest.

Fixed that for you.

Back