Favorite hymn?

Parakletos

Whats your guys's favorite hymns?

I dont know why, but the church organ just kinda wants to put me to sleep. Personally, I love it when they take those old hymns written in 1600 and add rock to it. SonicFlood did "Before the throne of God above", but my absolute favorite is how Passion remade "Come thou fount of every blessing"
smile.gif

Hymns schymns.
My school's gay. They say music's not allowed, unless it's a. classical, b. instrumental, or c. hymnal.
Okay. For one: classical music utilizes instruments. So that's stupid right off the bat to divide it into two. Instrumental also doesn't have to be classical, but you could have just paired them together under instrumental, as both are such.
Hymnal is anything of the Gregorian Monks, or such things. Obviously, we can't sing them on tape, and play the song in class, because that would be disruptive. BUT we can't have contemporary Christian music either, EVEN if they sing hymns, or utilize instrumentals during their hymnal singing.
Really good logic you got running there. The school says the reason for these mundane laws is so we're not taken up in the secular words of the world.
Well, uh, not all classical composers were Christians...some could have been practicing humanists. Who's to say they were Christian? So it's better to listen to music from one who denies the existence of God than one who's singing praises to God?
What?
That's my school rule, being a "Classical Educational" Christian school.
But my fave hymn is...umm....Amen. Or Joy to the World. Or "On Christ the Solid Rock I stand, all other ground is sinking sand." or "Come thy fount."

I luv the songs at my church, we dont got a big organ or anything like that. We got a keboard, 2 guitars, drumset (wo0t) and choir. We dont sing alot of old hymns. We sing alot of contemperary stuff.

SINNER! You're goin' to HECK!
Just kidding. I believe that is the appropiate answer the traditional Church of Christ would respond to, or South Baptists even.

Yea, we sing a lot of christian contemp stuff too. Not like Michael W. Smith but still not 1600 hymns.

I wish there was a band that played old hymns to hard rock.
cool.gif
The closest I've seen is skillet.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MaxX @ April 05 2003,12:15)]Yea, we sing a lot of christian contemp stuff too. Not like Michael W. Smith but still not 1600 hymns.

I wish there was a band that played old hymns to hard rock.  
cool.gif
The closest I've seen is skillet.
well a band in the 90's called Deliverance did Psalms 23 and Tragidy Ann does "Nothing but the Blood of Jesus". As for my favorite hymn, I would have to say "Old Rugged Cross" is one of my favorites. Our church doesn't do many hymns except around Easter/Christmas time. Mostly contemporary.

Cory

40? Never heard it, if its not on the best of 80-90 or 90-00 then I've never heard it. Theres always "Pride" and "I still havnt found what I'm looking for" though.

Is "before the throne" the same as "the circle will not be broken"?

I love Johny Cash's version - Daddy sang bass (in super deep voice) Mama sang tener (it was a woman with a really high pitch, that really well complemented the "daddy" singer), Me and lil' brother jumped right in, (in "normal" voices).

Yah, I love that song, but its probably because I just heard it, so I have that "new toy euphoria".

I also like Fortress is our God (by Martin Luther), Old Rugged Cross, Give me that Old Time Religion, Lord Build Me A Cabin, and uhh, basically everything.

I don't like contemporary stuff..., its waaaay too overdone. At my church the group that does contemp also goes a bit too into emotionalism as I'd like.

My church was a very traditional mennonite church up to 10 years ago. Now we sing a lot of contemporary stuff (Matt Redman, Tim Whatsisname, stuff.) 2-3 guitarists (1 acoustic, 1 electric), 1 bassist, piano, drums (really good drummer), and a small group of singers. Fun.

My old church sang hymns in Chinese. Guess what: I was illiterate in Chinese (which means lyrics on projector = useless for me), so I had to jog my mind to keep up while guessing what word came next. It really brought me down, and since I did not have a choice to go to another church, I wallowed around in a spiritual muck. The guys in charge were also WAY too conservative for me. One guy's like... "I won't talk to you guys about what men and women do together since you guys are too young..." (something to that extent). I was 17. I had already taken 4 years of sex ed in public school, as well as bio class. uh... too young? (I eventually tuned out to everythign, whcih now in hindsight, I realize that that was wrong to do.)

Problem was, though, our class had this parity: the younger kids were 12-14, and the older kids were 17-18. nothing in between.

As for hymns... Amazing Grace comes to mind, and this Chinese song called (5 AM in China) <-- talks about the underground church in China, which is surprisingly huge with a growth of over 70-90 million members since 1949.

Ultimate Avatar: I take it you go to a Christian school, no? what grade/year are you in? and where do you live? Info might help me with a sociology paper I'm writing.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shark @ April 05 2003,6:27)]40? Never heard it, if its not on the best of 80-90 or 90-00 then I've never heard it. Theres always "Pride" and "I still havnt found what I'm looking for" though.
It is on "U2 War" - 1983, good song

My favorite hymn is "And Can it Be"

"Great Is Thy Faithfulness" because God showed me His incredible faithfulness on a mission trip I went on and continues to be faithful to me every day.

And

"Solid Rock" because there is NOTHING else to build our lives upon except for Jesus Christ.

Yes pieman.
Christian school. Classical education. Annapolis Christian Academy. You can go their gay website and check it out. Pretty lame. Some parent testimonies (most of their kids I know, ain't nothing special)
The kindergarten to eighth grade education is excellent. High school just plain sucks. Learning is rather poor and straightforward. Nothing to actually educate you: just plodding on. Middle school kids are supersmart (usually). High schoolers, meh. The four seniors go home before the day's over because they've got all their credits they need to graduate by that time. But the school's gay about that and make them stay til at least after lunch.
I live in South Texas. I am 15. I am in 9th grade.
And that's a cool story there pieman.
We've yet to take sex ed I think...I think the sixth graders take it. We're taking bio and all that, and the extent of sex ed in that class is to date: mitosis.

*GASP* CELL DIVISION!!! I really get off on that!
tounge.gif

Well... since I've already graduated, all I can say is good luck on graduating from your allegedly crappy school. I won't state my opinions of private/religious schools. Might anger a few people here, and make me look like an ......... donkey.........

Or an emu.
You can tell me. I don't care. You're probably right. The best one I went to sucked, and now it's shut down after 27 years (the church didn't like the school, since it had been started for homsechooling).
Then the second one got me in trouble all the time.
And now this one.

I have several fave hymns. Although I generally prefer groups like Disciple, Tourniquet (older stuff), GS Megaphone, Mercy Me, Supertones, etc (okay, so those are all diff from each other), I find the hymns have a kind of reverence about them, and ease of singing that makes them great for just worshiping (as opposed to performing).

My short list, in no particular order, and no where near complete.

Great is Thy Faithfulness
Amazing Grace
How Great Thou Art
The Solid Rock
The Old Rugged Cross
It Is Well
Beulah Land
I'll Fly Away
When The Roll Is Called Up Yonder
Victory in Jesus
One Day
Jesus Loves Me
Away in a Manger

The short list........

<kid'svoice>
Jesus loves me this I know, for the bible tells me so....
</kid'svoice>

I loved that one.

Christmas ones were good as well.

Back