FIFTYfifty - A Luck Based Fixed Space-Shooter

master[mind]

Thought you ya'll might enjoy this game I put together as a portfolio example for employment. It's a space shooter that uses a risk-reward based probability system for the ships weapons. Comes with fresh music, programmer art covered up by shaders, and Galaga inspired sound effects. Supports the Xbox 360 Controller.

FIFTYfifty

I played it but I want to type out a longer response when I have the time.

To those who don't know him I've played with Mastermind on Toj TF2 night for many months.

Last edited:
I know your game is only just a demo but I had some basic ideas about it.

1. Weapon concept is fine but perhaps add a second enemy type that requires a slightly powered up shot to damage at all. If the game's defining feature is on show one should be more compelled to use it for more than just score. A second enemy type with a minimum threshold value on damaging it would necessitate this. It would also force you to pay attention more and alter your game play if they spawned randomly, albeit with less frequency than the first type. As is one seems to play by making sure half the screen is continually clear, providing a safe area to charge, and then strafing over to clear the other half. A second enemy type may both re-enforce and provide variation to the dynamic of needing to destroy enemies before they build up juxtaposed with the difficulty of getting a successful charge off.

2. Add a more obvious visual feedback about your score. You've put all the elements of the hud in 5 different areas of the screen which makes your eye have to travel away from the action to look at each. I can't say this is an uncommon practice but I've always found it odd when developers arrange huds in this manner. I haven't thought of how I'd arrange them yet but to aid in score tracking I suggest grouping the score from your last laser shot and displaying it over the actual area the enemies died in. You could even put a higher score combo in red/larger text to emphasize and reward when you do good like other games do. My top score playing was 667200 but I have little idea of what I did better to get a much higher score than other runs.

3. Mouse support. It screams for it with it's two button game play.

4. I was going to make you some art but I have not gotten very far as yet. I'll make a 2-D image of the model (and an enemy craft and start screen) IF I ever get it done.
5. I think the music fits it perfectly :) .

Anyway perhaps it's already good enough for your purposes I dunno.

Last edited:
Sorry I'm so late on this, haven't been checking this section.

I liked the options screen, I always like to be able to adjust sound.

Game play was functional, albeit a bit slow for my tastes. The enemy didn't seem to fight back much (I had no trouble avoiding their shots). I didn't use the charged shot as it didn't seem to ever fire (perhaps I didn't wait long enough). The first time through I didn't even know about the charged shot and just eliminated enemies as they appeared with little to no difficulty. The regular firing laser felt sluggish and difficult to control timing.

As Gerbil stated, enemy variety/difficulty would enhance game-play. I think weapon variety would also help. I was hoping for power-ups or something but didn't get any reward other than a higher score. Also, incremental play would be helpful for a sense of accomplishment. Like a countdown of the enemies needed to be destroyed before moving to the next level/stage. So rather than saying I go to some score I could say I made it to stage 7.

As far as artwork goes, the background works and I enjoyed the explosion effects. I think the player and enemy ships need a little more beautification. Enhancing the weapon effects could help as well. Shrapnel from the destroyed ships could be a bonus.

All in all, not a bad start. I'm trying to provide constructive criticism and not just be all negative. I think with a couple improvements it could be a decent game.

Patriot made a shooter game once too Mastermind :) .

I think mastermind is trying to make a demo of his programing talents to go in his portfolio so I don't think of it as a full game but as more of a "concept".

My first play though I didn't bother with the charge mechanic either because the game doesn't re-enforce the only reason to use it which is score. If you do go for score basic game play becomes charging one laser for the high score kills while keeping their numbers down with the other one.

I was thinking of a power up too like you said Patriot. Perhaps a pick up that improves the probabilities temporarily so you can fire charged shots easier?

Last edited:
Patriot made a shooter game once too Mastermind :) .
Yeah, kinda never finished it. . .
Enemy AI was very basic and never incorporated levels and more powerful enemies (although I had planned to).
If you want to take a look at it, the file is here: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=E936CDDC0CCFA026!471&authkey=!AI4togTHCnB9PVE&ithint=file,.zip

It uses XNA, but I have no problem sharing the code so long as I don't start seeing my game showing up under someone else's name ;)

I think mastermind is trying to make a demo of his programing talents to go in his portfolio so I don't think of it as a full game but as more of a "concept".
I understand. I was just thinking with the number of programmers out there it might be better to have a more comprehensive design. But then, I have no idea what game studios are looking for, I'm just your generic, run-of-the-mill programmer with 3D design as a hobby.

Risk/reward + shooter? You're already on the right track. Jamestown, one of my favorite games in recent years features an excellent risk/reward system (called "Vaunt"), so you're definitely on to a good start.

Back