Flashback Botnet

The main reason there are very few viruses on a MAC compared to Windows is market share. Yes they may do things different under the hood but if was 50/50 mac vs pc I bet you would see some more interest in coding viruses for macs. No matter what the OS, they are all vulnerable to someone smart enough to code.

Market share is the issue because the Trojan writers make money on each PC. Every email they harvest or spam they send out may net them 1 penny. If they can infect 10s of thousands of PCs they can actually make some decent money in a third world economy (those pennies add up!). There is simply not enough MACs out there for them to make even close to as much money.

Also from personal experience: I have run a residential tech support business for the past 6 years. About 30% of my business is MACs, so I see a lot of them. I would say that about 60% of my work is virus/malware removal. In those 6 years, I have yet to see a single malware on a MAC. I absolutely know they exist but I have never come across even 1 in the wild. I probably clean malware from PCs 3-5 times a week, every week for 6 years. Not sure what the numbers are but that's like 1,000 to 0 in favor of the MAC.

Last edited:
Market share is the issue because the Trojan writers make money on each PC. Every email they harvest or spam they send out may net them 1 penny. If they can infect 10s of thousands of PCs they can actually make some decent money in a third world economy (those pennies add up!). There is simply not enough MACs out there for them to make even close to as much money.

I did not know that, thanks! I knew someone somewhere was making money off it just did not know or even care to look up how it worked.

Back