For players who say swearing isn't in the bible

"What the hell" isnt on there, but a admin in toj warned me about that saying. That word swearing too?

good link, I was looking for something like that...def gonna bookmark it...

you know, i'm going to be honest...i have swearing problems and i'm trying to avoid as much as possible...my weakness is that i tend to swear when i'm mad or upset...trying to quit that habit
smile.gif

and myles u're finally doing something beside disguising ;)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Corpfox @ Feb. 03 2004,12:44)]"What the hell" isnt on there, but a admin in toj warned me about that saying. That word swearing too?
Its not just about the words corp, its the context in which they are used.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Corpfox @ Feb. 02 2004,11:44)]"What the hell" isnt on there, but a admin in toj warned me about that saying. That word swearing too?
short answer: yes
Long answer: If you use "hell" when talking about the place, then its fine. But if you use it like "what the hell"
or "see you in hell" or something like that most people would consider it a curse word.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (.se3ker. @ Feb. 03 2004,1:06)]good link, I was looking for something like that...def gonna bookmark it...

you know, i'm going to be honest...i have swearing problems and i'm trying to avoid as much as possible...my weakness is that i tend to swear when i'm mad or upset...trying to quit that habit
smile.gif

and myles u're finally doing something beside disguising ;)
Me too... I have a few issues with that. I decided it would be helpful If i stopped going to bash.org and something awful in my free time.

Ok fine, I'm gonna say all the "half-swear" words that I know, and you tell me if, a: swearing from the bible, b: just plain swearing, c: inapproaite.

Holy Cow
Aie Creumbia (A mexician word)
What the heck?
Lame
NO FREAKING WAY!
damn
Oh my goodness
Oh my...
Shut up.
Merde (French)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Corpfox @ Feb. 03 2004,5:40)]Ok fine, I'm gonna say all the "half-swear" words that I know, and you tell me if, a: swearing from the bible, b: just plain swearing, c: inapproaite.

Holy Cow
Aie Creumbia (A mexician word)
What the heck?
Lame
NO FREAKING WAY!
damn
Oh my goodness
Oh my...
Shut up.
Merde (French)
Holy Cow -- contrary to Hindu's belief there's nothing holy about cows. It's an expletive, plain and simple.

Aie Creumbia -- not sure of the def/history of that one...

What the Heck -- this is what the hell. they're the same thing. one is just 'sanitized' for 1950's tv

Lame -- unless you're talking about a hurt leg, then you're insulting someone/something.

No FREAKING Way! Freaking, is used in that sanitzed context again. Just replacing a word, doesn't do away with the swear word

damn -- ok, if yer talking about a beaver's building that holds back water, or similar things. Yet it's still using a God's name in vain. the same applies to Oh my goodness, and oh my...

Shut up -- this is just rude.

merde--it's a french swear word. just because it's in a different language, doesn't mean its not still a curse word.

God bless.

how about O M, dangit, stupid?

then which from all or all of them i said is breaking the ToJ's charter, ToJ's server, ToJ?

Most of the words I gotten away from it, except for the "D" word and well, i never say merde anyhow, just heard it.
rock.gif

just seeing if you/you ppl swear on cs, reading the condumps i got, only regular ppl swore, dang.

good site zelly...that site answered yer questions better than I ever could
tounge.gif

I don't think I've ever seen any ToJers swear in-game, but I've seen some people come very close...it's a good point to remember that even when we use half-swears, we still mean the real thing in our heads/hearts, so it's a good thing to catch ourselves on.

Good point everyone. In the Old Testament it was a sin to commit adultery, but in the New Testament just having those thoughts is the same act as adultery. I say this to show you that even though we may not curse out loud, merely thinking it is just as bad. It's a difficult thing to not do, but God's grace will help us get away from that mindset.

Also, the Bible tells us not to call our brothers a "fool". This also goes for calling them stupid, moron, idiot, and anything else that puts someone down. "But anyone who says, 'You fool!' will be in danger of the fire of hell." I believe this passage is from Matthew 5:22?

I struggle with calling people moron & idiot...God help me!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Corpfox @ Feb. 03 2004,9:05)]how about O M, dangit, stupid?

then which from all or all of them i said is breaking the ToJ's charter, ToJ's server, ToJ?

Most of the words I gotten away from it, except for the "D" word and well, i never say merde anyhow, just heard it.
rock.gif
speaking as an admin, I'm usually more lenient on non-ToJ members about so-called half-swears than ToJ members, but if it's obvious that the player is bypassing the filter with any given word, i'll punish for that.

That explains, why you wouldn't have been punished for OM or dangit, stupid on the other hand is another matter. That's being said to insult someone. I punish for it.

God bless.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (ToJ | Dead_Aim @ Feb. 04 2004,9:03)]What if you call yourself an idiot? Remember still on quote
tounge.gif
are you not still insulting someone?

Just because you are insulting yourself, does not make it any better.

Back