Gamers as caffeine addicts?

My experience has been that my group of gaming friends (including me) drank LOTS of Mt. Dew for the caffine - while they were in high school and college. But as they got more mature and responsible they gave up the caffine and sugar of soda for more healthy alteritives. I am a former caffine addict. I now try and drink mostly water.

I'm definitely a caffeine junkie but it's not due to gaming. In fact I had a rock star and a medium coffee today... lol

I guess my addiction started out of necessity and had nothing to do with gaming. When I was an overnight/on call supervisor, which required me to work 12 hours or more, not including travel times, there were days I'd only get a few hours of sleep so on top of coffee I would take caffeine pills. Now I work a part time job overnight so the next day I'll drink a monster or something on the way to my full time job.

Btw, I hate red bull... too bitter and a horrible after taste.

I drink Diet Mt. Dew in the morning to wake me up. Throughout the day it's usually a combination of Iced Tea with Splenda, water, and diet sodas.

Caffeine=FTW
Sugar=FTL

Pop isn't very nice to my body for some reason. I drink mostly water and the occasional Dr Pepper/Root Beer. I'm certianly not addicted to caffeine. I should also mention that caffeine has very little effect on me, I can drink it and go right to sleep. If anything, it gives me the option to stay awake and not notice that I'm tired.

wishanem said:
I usually drink about 3 liters of iced tea (3 cups sugar, 6 teabags) a day when I bother making it, and otherwise just a ton of water.
Woohoo! My drink of choice. Yours really IS "sugar tea," isn't it? ;)

I have found I'm mostly immune to caffeine. Only if I'm REALLY flagging does caffeine make a difference. It's probably due at least in part to my days (nights) in art school, where I regularly stayed up until two or three am, or didn't get to go to sleep at all. (Starting about the third week of the semester, actually...and more frequently than I stay up late with gaming...)

I drink coffee only about two to three times a week, soda three or four. I drink iced tea daily almost, but that's only about 60 mg of caffeine per twelve ounce glass. (Even regular coffee is far higher.) I also drink hot tea, which may or may not contain caffeine, depending on whether it is black, green, oolong, red, white, or herbal. (We have tea shelves in the kitchen cabinet...)

Strangely enough, both Paul and I have found that decaf coffee is as effective as regular; the taste and smell have a very stimulating effect on their own.

I quit drinking caffeine when I was diagnosed with IBS, but after 6-8 I picked it up again. I am going to quit again and cut the intake of carbonated bev's down. I drink alot of juice, mostly Welches 100% grape juice.

Tek said:
I suppose I'm a bit strange, anyway.
Nah, strange is directly related to me. I don't mind eating after other people (ie. I will finish your left-overs) and also I don't mind eating food people have thrown away. This started when I got sick of how much a glutton I was and I think it activated a mini-eating disorder. I feel like the way I eat now allows me to appreciate food more and helps me realize how food is a gift, not something that's somehow readily available for me to eat.

Back