Gaming Has Died

[toj.cc]phantom

Tribe of Judah Membership Administrator
http://www.lazygamer.net/xbox-360/without-clues-dishonored-was-too-difficult/

Are gamers now-a-days really this stupid? Do you have to have your hand held every time you play a game? Do you need waypoints and fast travel? Do you need a tutorial to teach you how to crouch jump (a complaint some people had with Black Mesa is that they didn't know how to crouch jump)? An easy mode in the next Demon Souls game? Gaming is dying right before our very eyes, and no one cares.

[video=youtube;q5mLjKI968g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5mLjKI968g[/video]

A.D.D. and the "participation trophies" have ruined today's youth.

I remember playing Blaster Master on the NES. It didn't have a save feature and if your power went off you had to start all over again. My Mom turned of my NES while I was at school after 4 days of advancing..... I was really mad at the time, but such a nice life lesson now.

I kind of felt this way when (I know I'm aging myself) the internet came out and there were "walkthroughs" posted on how to get through games.

I have to disagree. The addition of easier modes and more tutorials speaks more towards the fact that we're seeing games hitting new audiences -- people who never played games before the internet or before save states.

Yes, this does mean that some games are getting much easier before, but it also means that devs are starting to move in both directions -- harder games and more accessible games.

I'm pretty sure from what I can tell, games are still alive.

Or maybe gaming is moving beyond a niche market to a cultural norm.

And maybe developers are trying to share their love of gaming with as many people, even those who suffer from disabilities, as possible.

I used to feel the same way ("Easy Mode/Tutorials = Ruined Forever"), but reading a few of the articles in Includification and being married to a wonderful woman who enjoys puzzle games but doesn't care to play first-person shooters helped changed my point of view. I really like to play games with my wife, but she didn't spend countless hours learning WASD controls playing Doom II during her teenage years (and beyond) like I did.

There's a place for Nintendo-hard games like Super Meat Boy and there's a place for tools like the "Super Guide." (Side note: People talk trash about Super Mario Galaxy 2's "Super Guide" feature, but the optional levels in SMG2 kicked my rear and I'd been playing Mario games for 25 years when the game released. Just because the feature's there doesn't mean you have to use it.)

When non-gamers or casual gamers read people raging about tutorials, it just reinforces the (largely mistaken) concept that gamers are an elitist, snobbish, "insiders only" group trying to keep their hobby to themselves.

I enjoy playing Angry Birds Space on my phone. I enjoyed clearing the first level of Jamestown on Judgment difficulty. I enjoy Plants vs. Zombies and I enjoy Team Fortress 2.

Gaming hasn't died. It isn't dying. If anything, it's growing. There's still a place for "expert-only" games (though probably not in games with 8-figure budgets). Thanks to Steam, Kickstarter, and console digital download markets (PlayStation Network and XBLA), all players of all skill levels can find something they'll enjoy.

And I think that's pretty awesome.

Last edited:

I remember playing Blaster Master on the NES. It didn't have a save feature and if your power went off you had to start all over again. My Mom turned of my NES while I was at school after 4 days of advancing..... I was really mad at the time, but such a nice life lesson now.

I LOVED Blaster Master. What a game.

My better half is wiling to play a game with a challenge, but she is adamant about not playing games that involve killing, or drinking. I acquired Cogs in an indie bundle and she fell in love with it. She also loves Timez Attack, an educational game that involves learning multiplication. Is she a "Gamer"? Not in the traditional sense, but in a new definition wherein people don't play traditional games in traditional ways yes.

More people who belong to different demographics are playing games now and companies want to cater to those people. It's not just guys playing videogames anymore.

I think that's all there is to it.

CowRocket said:

As an avid gamer and as someone with ADD I can say with 100,000,000,000% certainty that ADD has only helped gaming grow. :p

(ADD is more about impulsivity and doing activities you enjoy rather than about a true lack of focus, say on school work. I can focus on GW2 all day long, lol.)

Last edited:
More people who belong to different demographics are playing games now and companies want to cater to those people. It's not just guys playing videogames anymore.

I think that's all there is to it.

As an avid gamer and as someone with ADD I can say with 100,000,000,000% certainty that ADD has only helped gaming grow. :p

(ADD is more about impulsivity and doing activities you enjoy rather than about a true lack of focus, say on school work. I can focus on GW2 all day long, lol.)

Also as a gammer with ADD I can say... look, was that a chicken?

Also as a gammer with ADD I can say... look, was that a chicken?

Squirrels!!!!

I wonder if there is a study comparing the number of people with A.D.D. that are gamers vs the ones that aren't. I also have real bad A.D.D., but have spent 30+ straight hours playing a single game.

Last edited:
Supposedly ADD will effect which games you play and how.

There is such a study, I saw a title like that when I was in college. I just don't know where it is anymore :)

Back