Gear Calculator

[7F]LarryBoy

So I was bored this morning waiting for the servers to come up, so I built myself a gear comparison calculator. You can see it here:

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=pnGvKXiwjBQh7aCDbURoTSA

The modifiers I am using are pertinent to my Death Knight's built, but you can of course change the weightings and stats that you want to watch. Seems to work pretty well so far, but of course i haven't tried it out in game yet....

I guess I should go put up those xmas lights while I wait...

Haha, what manual?

Ok, the value in column "Value" is multiplied by the weighting in column "Multiplier" to get the "points" for that stat. The values for each stat are totaled to give the value for the piece of gear. To adjust the weighting for each stat, simply type in a new value in the appropriate "Multiplier" field.

Yeah, but how'd you come up with those numbers?

Edit: And why not just use RatingBuster to do it automatically?

Last edited:
neat :)

I am like.. the biggest excel nerd EVER. I never really took any courses or anything, just self taught.. but I use it for everything at work. it drives my boss nuts because 1) he is not computer savvy at ALL 2) he can't understand what I've done. ever.

my boss then sends it to someone above him who thinks I am insanely brilliant (who am I to argue with that?). They, of course, can't read it either.. but thinks I am the smartest person in the world because it looks fancy. They usually just delete it (because they dont want to ask questions) and I earn another step up in their minds. It's all about how you present yourself lol

my friend, otoh, thinks I am the biggest nerd ever.. I showed her a file that took my sales on a particular group of items from last week. it then took what my projected sales for that department were (for this week) and figured out a trend (oh hey you sold 100 last week, you think you'll sell 110 this week so your trend is +10%). I put in each item and it tells me what to order this week. She thought that was pretty cool. Until...

I showed her where I put in the percentage of sales I think I will have each ordering day (ie: 40%/30%/30% or something like that) and it figures how many I need to order each day by that (we order every other day). BUT WAIT.. if I have inventory on hand it subtracts that from my orders.. if it calls for 1 to be ordered but I have 1 on hand it should say order 0 but then I have also made it so that IF it = 0 it will always say 1 (or whatever number I think is appropriate). it tells me random things like how many I sold last week compared to the week before etc etc.

simple things, really, but at this point she started calling me "nerd". I'm sure by this point, every reading this is calling me one too.

But I do love excel.. I use it for my scheduling, lists, figuring special orders etc etc. anything and everything I can put in there I do. so I think your thingiewhachamacallit is pretty neat :)

youll have to tell me more about google docs. I would be very interested in seeing other people's excels files if they are available to share.

Renee: you are grossly underpaid! You should be their boss and one day will. I almost got lost in your explanation of your spread sheet, but it shows great logical thinking. What a blessed boss you have! I do sales professionally and am thinking of how I can "borrow" your idea for myself. I am certain your skill even reflects as a great positive on our Lord and Savior! I love it!
Anyone who can do stuff in Excel = awesome. Me - I really struggle just to get it to do sums! Yes & Lar - wow...

sam, thanks for the compliment!

I am actually the second in charge and very well paid :) the way things are headed, one day soon I will be the first in command (at another location). I know I act stupid and goofy in game, but WoW is my downtime from all the seriousness at work. My time there isn't filled with so many ribbons and sparkles.. and I definitely can't act as silly as I do online! Believe it or not, I'm a pretty tough boss and go toe to toe with the guys :)

when my associates find out I am a gamer: first, they can't believe it :eek: then, they all ask what server I am on :D

anyways.. microsoft has some online classes you can take for excel and other office programs for free. I have been meaning to take them for some time now, but never got around to it.

Back