Gearing the New 80s

Azzie

HAY GUYZ

Sarugon, Hezron, me and a few others just hit 80 recently, but with Ulduar being the main focus of raids in Redeemed these days, I thought it'd be cool if we set some times to do quick naxx 10 runs to gear up the new 80s.

Ozy, Icthus, Krimsonx, mustadiette and a few others will be hitting 80 soon too (hopefully) so maybe we could keep this idea running for a while.

Naxx 10, from what I have heard, is comparable to the old UBRS in terms of difficulty if not easier.
"You can do it in greens!" To quote Gobby.
However, I've heard it takes a while, so perhaps we could organize groups for only sections?

I'm up for anything that works.

Fastest way to gear up is to run heroics and pug Naxx and OS. There is a constant stream of people who are doing Naxx 10 in LFG.

Pugs are great for gaining skill. There is nothing worse than being carried by better geared people because you don't have to work hard or even be good.

Pugs really stretch and demand more because you never know what some random person is going to do. Plus, it's a great opportunity to show the grace and kindness Christ has lavishly poured out on us. Especially when the group is terribad. :) Good times!

Pugs aren't all bad......not my favourite way to play. Although I do occasionally like to do one for entertainment purposes. My favourites are the ones with the DK's in them that pull mobs off the tank with their death grip and mysteriously die tanking.....or the ones that use their frost aura thingy when I'm tanking and blame me for not keeping agro....

In my experience, the worst thing about PuGs is not the lack of skill or the loot problems, but rather the time constraints.

Maybe Naxx 10 is different, but I haven't seen more "lfg/lfm naxx 10s" than UBRS or Stratholme requests back in the day, and those dungeons only took 1.5 hours or less if done right.

Back when I used to lead pug UBRS runs several times a day the biggest obstacle was people having to leave in the middle, people getting booted for whatever reason, and then having to get replacements that want to do the thing over again etc etc. Sometimes getting people took just as long as the dungeon itself. People like me often can't commit 4-5 hours at once in finding a group and running the whole thing, and unless Pugs get together for only sections of the dungeon, that time stretch is far too long for it to be possible for some.

This is why I propose we (I could probably do it) organize guild runs that cover only sections at a time, since Naxx is only weekly, isn't it? A friend of mine said a single quarter might take only 40some minutes.

Tonight I think Beardsly is running a naxx 10, so I'll try to get into that and see how it works out. Maybe I'm just thinking too hard about this =P

Yeah I have to say that is the way to go. I am fairly well geared tank now with 32,500 unbuffed health and I think I only got 2 pieces from guild Naxx runs. The rest was all from Heroics, PuG Naxx, PuG Vaults, PuG Sath, and of course crafting items that Goblit helped me get! If you hang out in town for just a little bit you will see a constant barrage of PuG 10 man raids.

But besides that , we have been running 10man naxx just about weekly as a guild either with Nev, Goblit, or Schmeea leading so hang in there and you will get your runs.

In the mean time farm gold for your titansteel helm, titansteel neck, titansteel ring, titansteel destroyer. You can buy a badge bracer with gold as well as some great shoulders. Cape, boots, and chest from Wyrmrest faction. Rest from heroics.

Azzie:Back when I used to lead pug UBRS runs several times a day

transfer those skills and start rousting up a 10 man naxx in guild chat and lead it. we are always short pug leaders, that way you can also be in control of the lewt situation, and back fill with pug peeps if not enough guildies can come. be in control of your own wow destiny :D

Once again, however, is the matter of time constraint. How long does a typical PuG naxx run take? Based on my current intel a full run with an average group takes 3 hours. Can everyone commit 4-5 hours all at once to get a PuG group together frequently enough?

It looks like heroics are indeed the way to go, though. Thanks for the advice! I'll tell the new 80s that too...

I might focus with PuGs on Vaults and OS. Both those take around 30mins or less and are pugged all the time. Make sure to run them every week and you might get lucky with some drops. I have been doing them myself but have yet to see a good drop other then a bag of badges i won.

That kind of badge gear is uber! But not available yet. We are waiting for the Mushroom Snake instance to be released to attain it!

I PUG all the time with limited play time. It's really the only way to go especially if you are just starting out getting gear. The much better geared players will pretty much completely avoid doing Naxx10 anymore.

They are hit and miss sometimes but that's life. Try and make your PUG better by performing the best you can.

welllllllllllll so after downing Sapphiron last night, I have come to these conclusions:

1) Full naxx run in one night = bad idea, especially for PuGs. Splitting them up into sections over 2+ days is much better.
2) Difficulty is not hard so long as people know the fights
3) The shoulders I need are proving very elusive T_T

Once again, however, is the matter of time constraint. How long does a typical PuG naxx run take? Based on my current intel a full run with an average group takes 3 hours. Can everyone commit 4-5 hours all at once to get a PuG group together frequently enough?

It looks like heroics are indeed the way to go, though. Thanks for the advice! I'll tell the new 80s that too...

Well you can see how much time it took us to run through 10 man naxx the other night as a guild...I remember you were there, yes? We cleared everything up to KT with about 5 wipes total? And that took from about a 6:00 start time to a little past 11 if i'm not mistaken.

Something to be said about that...we didn't have the greatest raid dps...we had about 2 peeps who were crankin some good numbers, 2 who were average, and even one who was behind the tanks (no names mentioned). Obviously some/most of this was gear related, hence the run. I chain pulled pretty much everything in Naxx that night, with no spots to rest even while loot was being passed out.

My point being, your time spent in Naxx is heavily dependent on Tank pulling, DPS, time spent explaining bosses, and wiping. Yes it can be done in 3 hours, but obviously with a pretty good all around raid make-up with little to no wiping. Typical Naxx full clear is around 4.5+ hours ( I use the term "typical" loosely")

One last thing. Don't be afraid to hop in a PuG. I've done it tons of times on 10 and even 25 man Naxx and the results are varied. Naxx has been around long enough that most peeps know whats going on in the boss fights, but then again who ever knows. I've been in groups that have cleared faster than I can blink and ones that haven't been able to down Anub'.

Back