GIMP how-to?

ChickenSoup

Banned
I'd like to download this (free stuff ftw) but I've heard it has a steep learning curve and all so I have two questions.

1. Would you editor guild people tell me for sure if it's really that difficult to learn to use? :)
2. If I download it could someone at least pm me a link to some sort of how-to guide?

It's probably just one of those learn-as-you-go things..

I have used this program in the past. Its really pretty powerful for being free. Its basically Photoshop, but is set-up differently. In fact there are "mods" to make it look almost exactly like Photoshop. The best way to learn how to use this program is to do a search for GIMP tutorials. They are easy to find and can really show you how to get familiar with it. As for a how-to guide, I don't think there really is one, just find some good tutorials and you'll be set.

I can search my bookmarks, I've used quite a few tutorials for photoshop, gimp and paint.net. I'm in no way trained or great at making pretty things, but considering that it's a hard thing for me to figure out I've done pretty well. If you google "GIMP tutorials lots of pages will pop up that give you step by step instructions (including pictures and settings options) on how to do some basic things like effects on up to more advanced things.

well I messed around with it for a little bit and made my new sig... working on a logo. Kinda fun, really
Wow... it's.... beautiful.

Here's the image (for the archives), just in case it gets changed (read: *cough*removed*cough*):

banner1rf0.jpg

yeah it's kinda hard to tell what the "Esq." is cause the letters are all cursive and wot. But that stands for "Esquire", of course.

Oh, and it's the simplest thing I've ever done, I'm almost embarrassed to say I did it. I was like,

"okey dokey, let's see... new. Template? Ummm web banner, large. Ka-ching! Uh oh, I've run out of inspiration. :( Maybe... colored background??!! I'll do a random color gradient :eek: :eek: YAY!! Now... Make text. Ooh! Lookie! Text! HA! :D :D *wipes forehead* phew that was hard. now... let's color it in. AWESOME! Um. Now. We... duplicate? Wow, I can move this text BEHIND the other text?! Maybe if I blur it it'll look like a shadow.. AWESOME. :D

Well... I'm done! I'm gonna go eat something to revitalize myself."

Last edited:
ACK HOW DO I WORK THESE PLUGINS?! I download them and they show up on mah desktop and I don't know what I'm supposed to do with them... put them in a folder or something???

C$ - take the .scm file - place it into your personal GIMP script-fu folder (see the Preferences dialog, Folders category, and click on Scripts if you're not sure where that is.)

I've used Gimp in the past. It's a little harder to use than Photoshop but it's just about as powerful. I like it really. I mean it's hard not to like since it's free.

filesjd7.png

it won't let me un-check them!! (I originally checked them all because I didn't know what it meant by file associations :eek:)

Ohh... well you could manually reset the file associations.

(Right-click on file, go to Open With menu, click Choose Program, select the program you want to use, then put an X in the checkbox.)

Ohh... well you could manually reset the file associations.

(Right-click on file, go to Open With menu, click Choose Program, select the program you want to use, then put an X in the checkbox.)

*cringes*

Well, thanks. I'll go through and do that. :)

Back