Glad I have my PS3 now :) Looking for some good cheap games.

Logos

WHY? Because when you PCs stink, I can still play decent games on my PS3...without having to upgrade every year...arrrgg. :) Anyways, I am looking games I can add to a list of 17-20 dollars in range that are GOOD...besides I am going to my ordering from Amazon or even Ebay for the most part ALOT cheaper I noticed....sad that Gamestop has some games still at regular price even when they are "pre-owned" imagine that. :) Anyways, if anyone cares to begin the list it would be appreciated...again i am not as familiar with the PS3 lineup as I am nintendo's so I wasn't for sure what was good and wasn't. Include any style of game you want, I am a gamer who enjoys a little bit of everything. :) Thanks guys!!

Howzabouts a list of favorite games? You may enjoy a little bit of everything, but I can tailor my list to your existing preferences thissaway.

Burnout Paradise is cheap now, though, and it's a lot of fun for fans and non-fans of racing games alike.

I think they shutdown the LOTRC servers though. :/

Copied from my post over at CCGR:
Burnout Paradise: Ultimate Box (still a lot of players online, fun races, stunts and crashes)
Modnation Racers (only get if you're gonna be online)
Rock Band 2 (if ya don't got it yet)
Red Faction: Guerrilla (Had a blast with this one, you'll love it if you like seeing buildings asplode and crumble xD)
Motor Storm 2: Pacific Rift (off road racing, up to 4 players)
Eternal Sonata (fantastic looking 3-player RPG, not the longest story, but combat is fun)
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection (plenty of retro games, most are two player, good value)
Marvel Ultimate Alliance (why not? xD)
MGS4 (A lot of sexuality and mature themes, like old people smoking >.>)
Dead Space (<333333333333)
Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (decent campaign, online is incredibly fun)
Batman: AA (a bit more darker T-rating)
inFamous (mostly S-words as well...)
Uncharted 2 (some S-words and blood splotches when shooting, and a female straddles Nathan on a bed in one small scene, it's like a PG-13 movie. First is "cleaner" and a good starting point, but only as a rental >.>)
Resistance 2 (fun online, offline, and campaign)

If you didn't play 'em back in the day, PSN offers some excellent PSone RPGs. Pretty sure Final Fantasy VII-IX are there now, along with Tactics. Suikoden, Wild Arms, and Grandia are available, too. These range from $6-10.

If you haven't played through the Orange Box on the PC, it's pretty much a must-recommend. Portal alone makes it worth getting in my book. I <3 Portal.

I'm currently having fun with Bionic Commando, and I got it on the cheap. It's more an action/adventure game than anything, but it has good game mechanics. Got some language, too, though.

I also support the Marvel recommendation. It's not a mindblowing game by any stretch of the imagination, but I think it does Marvel licenses justice. It's also pretty cheap last I checked, so if you're into Marvel (and if you're not, we need to have a talk), then I recommend giving it a go.

Unreal Tournament 3 is a lot of fun. It plays decently with the pad, but it has built in support for USB keyboard and mouse. It still has people playing online, too. Real fast. Real fun. Nothing complicated, just frags galore.

Quote from another post I had put out...these are all games I have, most of these I could play with you online, and most of these are cheap (like me!). This was in response to specific co-op games, so I'll have to think about the non-coop ones as well:
Here are the list of PS3 games with local co-op that I own and have enjoyed. I'm cheap, but I also only spend my allowance on games...

Shooters (some of these have language):

Army of Two
Campaign was fun, this game is designed for co-op. Also online co-op.

Army of Two 40th day
Campaign was fun, although I didn't like as much as first. 4-player Extraction mode wasn't as fun as I hoped it'd be. Gun custimization was fun.

Conflict: Denied Ops
Another shooter designed around co-op. Not great, but not bad.

Resistance: Fall of Man
Campaign co-op; this game is simply great. The demo of this is what got my wife into shooters. The game has a great story with interesting dialogue in between...it's both interesting and very well done, which is what drew in Brittany. We now regularly play shooters together...often times with her bringing one home. Thank you Insomniac Games! (Thanks for Ratchet & Clank, too!)

Resistance 2
No split screen campaign However, there is a special co-op mode designed around how an MMO works...3 classes (Soldier/Medic/Marksman). Each class depends on each other. This isn't a throw-together mode, it's really the meat of the game if you're not into PvP...and Britt and I played this online for a very long time. 2 on console split screen with a max team size of 8.

Platformers

Little Big Planet
What can I say, this game is magical. The opening sequence really brought back a sense of awe/wonder I hadn't had for a game since being a kid. Physics are kind of wonky/annoying at times, but the game is a blast for up to 4 players local (or any combination of local/online). TONS of incredible custom levels online...can't be stressed enough.

Hack 'n Slash/Brawler

Sacred 2
Not a great/deep story really, but it does what it needs to do. Can be played local or online, world is huge, lots of loot to find. Outfits can be skimpy on female toons, but nothing too obscene. Best easter egg in the game after a long quest chain...love this song:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fakNlghOJY

TMNT: Turtles in Time Re-Shelled:
Decent fun, although I would've rather seen them remake some of the other games like TMNT 2 or manhatten project. Hopefully they will. Still a blast with 4 people...total mayhem

Shoot'em'up

1942: Joint Strike (PSN)
Very fun if you liked the arcade game

Gunstar Heroes (PSN)
Very fun if you played and liked the original.

Racing

Modnation Racers
No co-op, per se, but you can race split screen against the computer and split-screen online. Excellent game that takes LBP's "Play. Create. Share" mentality.

Strategy

Pixel Junk Monsters (PSN)
Great tower defense; two players adds to the fun. Has an expansion with a second island.

Misc.
Guitar Hero 3, Guitar Hero World Tour, Rock Band - very fun if you like that sort of thing, which I do
Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection - Great if you have someone who remembers these games to play with. Worth the price for the Phantasy Star/Shining Force series alone, though those don't have any real co-op.

Co-op games I've bought on sale but haven't played much yet:
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 - Decent brawler/hack'n'slash, not fantastic
Lego Indiana Jones 2: The Adventure Continues - Fun with the kids or even alone, will be fun for a few hours like most lego games, very casual
Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga - Same as above.
Lord of the Rings- Conquest - Decent game from what I can tell, not great but fun enough for some couch co-op.
Rainbow Six Vegas 2 - I hear this game is simply awesome, and Britt and I will play and love it; just haven't gotten to it yet.
Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom - Decent hack'n'slash
Soldner-X 1&2: Futuristic schmups, fun from the little I've played
Trine (PSN) - More of a puzzler, very fun and interesting. Have heard that wears off

Games I know have co-op, will love to play, just haven't bought due to price (I'm cheap) or massive backlog:
Borderlands - heard the co-op was great
Resident Evil 5 - Now with playstation move support announced
Deadspace Extraction (PSN) - Also move support, on rails shooter game, will be free with Deadspace 2 when these come out

I may have missed some, so I could always go back and look when I get home. Pretty much any of these (as well as ones I haven't listed but own) can be played online...so if you are ever up for that, let me know. Also I'd be happy to give more in-depth on any of these. Anything I missed that I should add?
If you go to your friends list and "compare trophies", you can get a pretty good idea of what games people have access to if you're looking for games to co-op with.

Aside from the stuff listed above, good place to look:
http://www.metacritic.com/games/ps3/scores/

Scores aren't everything of course, and can even be a detriment because some games take a little while to enjoy and most reviewers spend a day or two max with a game. Anyway, in addition to the stuff I listed above, I can personally attest for these games:

Adventure
* Uncharted series - Very awesome adventure games following Drake's treasure hunting escapades. This is one of the flagship franchises of the PS3 for good reason. Could fall under "shooter" too since that is the majority of combat in the game.
* Assassin's creed (saw you playing this), heard the 2nd is even better
* Ratchet & Clank series (more of a platformer)
* Darksiders - great if you don't mind God of War-like violence...very fun Zelda-esque game.
* 3D Dot Game Heroes - what can I say, this game features the most interesting hero in 3D

Shooter
* Boishock series is great; amazing atmosphere and story telling
* Resistance series - mentioned above and I'm mentioning it again. Love this series.
* Deadspace - great game, light "survival horror" and neat atmosphere. Classic "trapped on a ship and you're the only one alive...or are you" type scenario.
* I hear MAG is amazing online, but can't personally attest to this one. Looks great, but only one player per console limits this one for me.

RPG
* Elder Scrolls 4: Obvlion - DANGEROUS if you are OCD...just so many things to do this can keep you busy for hundreds of hours
* Demon's souls - this one is actually co-op too if you have someone to play with. I'm pretty close to the beginning and would be up for that
* Have heard Star Ocean and Eternal Sonata are decent, but haven't played them myself yet.

Oh, and if you like strategy board games, get Catan. Catan is the best strategy board game I've seen in recent years.

I'll second the PSN Classics listed above; great games if you haven't played even though the graphics look pretty dated. Shouldn't be too big of a deal if you don't have a huge TV.

Lastly, I'd recommend everyone pick up PSN+. I already owned Wipeout and I still got my $3 worth this month. The thing is, though, if we all have PSN+, we'll all be getting the games at the same time, and might be able to play together more.

Last edited:
WHY? Because when you PCs stink, I can still play decent games on my PS3...without having to upgrade every year...arrrgg. :) Anyways, I am looking games I can add to a list of 17-20 dollars in range that are GOOD...besides I am going to my ordering from Amazon or even Ebay for the most part ALOT cheaper I noticed....sad that Gamestop has some games still at regular price even when they are "pre-owned" imagine that. :) Anyways, if anyone cares to begin the list it would be appreciated...again i am not as familiar with the PS3 lineup as I am nintendo's so I wasn't for sure what was good and wasn't. Include any style of game you want, I am a gamer who enjoys a little bit of everything. :) Thanks guys!!

You upgrade every year? I can upgrade once and not have to for another 4 or 5 years, and still play games that are coming out. I had a Radeon 9800 for almost 5 years and was still able to play Oblivion and Fallout 3 on high settings the day they came out.

[toj.cc]phantom;387236 said:
You upgrade every year? I can upgrade once and not have to for another 4 or 5 years, and still play games that are coming out. I had a Radeon 9800 for almost 5 years and was still able to play Oblivion and Fallout 3 on high settings the day they came out.

Many people don't upgrade all at once. Maybe a video card here, little RAM there, changing out the CPU/mobo there, bigger hard drive here... even on a 5 year upgrade cycle upgrading "every year" is very possible.

Picked up Oblivion for $7.00 tonight :) In fact it was a ziploc baggy of quarters, dimes, and nickles I had been saving for such a time as this. :D Hehe...of course it wasn't the GoTY edition but it still has the "knights of nine" thingy...anyways, looking forward to getting into it, as soon as I finish SW:The Force Unleashed. :) And then Oblivion, and Assasin's Creed. :)

May just wanna rent Assassin's creed, it's not that long of a game.

[toj.cc]phantom;387398 said:
I'd say the same for SW:FU I didn't think it was very good at all.

Yeah, that game fell into the "oh man this game looks great from previews" to total disappointment when trying a demo. They would've been smart not to put out that demo, because I know letting people play the game in this case hurt their sales, haha.

I enjoyed Force Unleashed, but the 360 version glitched out on me 90% through so I gave up. Some cool cinematic moments for sure though. :D

If you like Oblivion Logos, ya may wanna give Fallout 3 a shot. I personally couldn't stand both games but almost all of my friends loved them... /oddball

Back