Great cheap or free games for LAN parties

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
With one CGA 2012 LAN party already planned and interest in other parties growing, I wanted to take a minute and ask for input to help compile a list of cheap or free games with LAN support.

My purpose for building the list is to ensure that all participants at any LAN party have at least 2-3 games they can all play together even if their gaming budgets are limited or their PC hardware is showing its age (both of which I can personally relate to).

Ideally, the games would feature peer-to-peer LAN multiplayer or a simple dedicated server setup and a simple client connection process. Games with smaller client downloads are also preferred (since some LAN parties may be using older 100Mb network equipment and transferring several hundred megs to multiple users over a network will take some time).

If you add a game to the list, please include a link to the game's home page and the size of the client install. In the case of non-free games, please include the price. Additional details (game genre, peer-to-peer or client/server, etc.) will be helpful.

I understand most of the time at any LAN party will be spent playing commercial games, but I wanted to plan ahead and make every reasonable effort to ensure that all participants will have something fun to play together.

Note: I've marked games I've played and enjoyed myself with an asterisk (*).

Xonotic *
Size: 943 MB
Genre: First-person shooter (Arena)
Network: Dedicated/listen server + client

Warsow *
Size: 442 MB client + 11 MB patch
Genre: First-person shooter (Arena)

Half-Life *
Price: $9.99
Genre: First-person shooter

Half-Life Deathmatch: Source
Price: $9.99

Half-Life 2 Deathmatch *
Price: $4.99

Team Fortress 2 *
Genre: First-person shooter (Team-based)

Soldat
Size: 17.6 MB
Genre: 2D Platformer/Shooter
Network: Dedicated server + client

TrackMania Nations Forever
Size: 506 MB
Genre: Racing

OpenRA
Size: 2.7 MB
Genre: Strategy

The Battle for Wesnoth
Size: 268.6 MB
Genre: Strategy (Turn-based)

Teeworlds
Size: 7.5 MB
Genre: 2D Shooter (Party)

Savage 2
Genre: Hybrid (FPS/RTS/RPG)

Tremulous
Genre: Hybrid (FPS/RTS)
Network: Dedicated server + client

Last edited:
Quake 3: Arena? here maybe I think it might be abandon-ware.
I don't believe Quake III is abandonware, but Xonotic features similar fast-paced FPS multiplayer action and is definitely free. Warsow (also definitely free) is more like UT99 than Q3.

I'm also realizing we need people on Windows 7 64-bit to test these games to verify they work before recommending them.

I doubt many LAN party participants would run Linux at a LAN party, but if there are any Linux-only or Mac-only folks out that interested in a CGA LAN party, speak up and we can look at adding an "OS" line to each title in the list to show which games also support Linux and Mac.

Last edited:
Synergy
Free if you have HL2

King Arthur's Gold
Free
Think terraria meets a total pvp mode where you build a fort that is completely destructible and you have to capture the enemy flag or kill them all.

/bump

The Springfield, MO City of Refuge/CGA LAN is confirmed for July 27-28. I'd like to have a list of free games to burn to DVDs to pass around well in advance of the party, so keep those suggestions coming!

EDIT: I think we're going to have to get a 4-player game of Team Fortress Arcade going at the Springfield LAN party...

EDIT#2: Oh, and I'll be up for multiplayer Streets of Rage Remake as well, provided no one objects.

Last edited:
Back