Guild Wars 2 pre-purchase is not a pre-order.

ewoksrule

Just to make sure there's no confusion: The pre-purchase program will begin on April 10th. If you pre-purchase the game in full starting on that date, you'll have guaranteed access to all Beta Weekend Events, three-day Headstart Access to the final game, and the Hero's Band digital item designed to enhance your gameplay experience. *A pre-order is not the same thing as a pre-purchase.* A pre-purchase beginning April 10th is the only way to receive the items and access listed above. Check out all of the details on the pre-purchase FAQ: http://www.guildwars2.com/en/the-game/game-faq/#forty-three ~RB2

More FAQ tip bits:

In addition to Pre-Purchase, a number of our retail partners are offering a Pre-Order program. Customers who pre-order will receive one-day Headstart Access to the final game.
Pre-Purchase is the only guaranteed way to get into all Beta Weekend Events. We will also be running promotions for access to individual Beta Weekend Events.
Yes, players who have Headstart Access will be able to claim character and guild names during that period that will carry over when Guild Wars 2 goes live. Players who pre-purchase and receive 3-day Headstart Access will have an advantage over players who pre-order and receive 1-day Headstart Access.

Never really got into the whole guild wars. Is it basically the same thing as the first one? Or done better? Havent seen enough on this game to go ahead and get it.

Never really got into the whole guild wars. Is it basically the same thing as the first one? Or done better? Havent seen enough on this game to go ahead and get it.

It's a radically different game. Basically only the concept of GW1 is transferred to GW2, IE. the world of Tyria, the races (norn, charr, human), some classes (warrior, ranger, necro), some titles from GW1 (GWAMM, Hall of Monuments), and a "continuation" of the storyline, a hundred years later.

Those are pretty much, more or less, the only things similar between the two games. Other than that the gameplay will be much different, much different PvP and PvE, new classes, new playable races (Sylvari), new equipment (intro of guns) and a slew of other stuff that just can't be explained here. ;)

I know there's a lot of examples in there that only a GW player would know, but trust me on this: GW2 is not GW1, it's much much better.

ok this is a cut and past of my own work in a different forum.

Ok ill bite...

I feel that will be groundbreaking in the MMO world. They have challenged the expectations of games, and I might add they have done it in a big way.

1. GW2 will be a persistent world (not instanced world) True MMO style.

2. GW2 will be free to play with no need to buy anything to play and enjoy the game. Once you buy the game you will be able to play the whole game with no limits. The only cash items they intend to sale in game store will be appearance items that are intended to not affect game play.

3. No leveling curve, unlike the typical MMO where you have to sink increasingly massive amounts of time into each consecutive level, GW2 has opted to make leveling from 1-10 take the same amount of time as leveling from 41-50 and from 71-80. The emphasis is no longer on grinding experience to get to end game but more about enjoying your time playing the game.

4. Mentoring/side-kicking will be set up so any low level can match the level of their higher level friends and go enjoy the game even in high level zones. Also zones will have a level cap that will demote others to lower levels in lower level area allowing for even making leveling less of the game and making enjoying lower level zones to be enjoyable and keeping higher level characters from ruining the experience of others who are not wanting to just breeze through the game with no effort. This will benefit even the higher level character as the exp gains should still be decent for their level.

5. Active combat. No longer will you just walk up to a mob and just exchange attacks throwing in your occasional taunt or really good attack, until they run out of health before you do, they have made combat active so it will be in your interest to stay active and moving to keep yourself alive. They have even given us a dodge button to help avoid damage. This button has a bar much like mana that will be used up and need to replenish before one can dodge more. No longer will you be dependent on a healer but rather on avoiding damage and using situational self-healing to keep you in the fight. To assist with this most all spells and skill will be usable when your moving, no longer will you feel like your stuck to a spot of 3 seconds of cast time.

6. Dynamic class interactions. Each class will have abilities that when combed with other classes abilities they will have a bonus effect. One example of this would be a Elementalist and a Ranger. Let’s say the elementalist put down a ground effect of fire and the ranger started shooting his projectiles through the fire each one of his arrows would take on the added effect of burning and thus set the target on fire. Every one of the classes has some form of this the ranger I was told have a poison ground effect thus allowing others to cause poison damage when combed. This will take a lot of learning to fully understand but this is also another case of this game taking it to the next level. You will no longer just buff your friend’s weapon with poison, but rather use a skill and he can take advantage of your ground effect.

7. No Holy trinity of MMO's. No longer is the game based on Tank/Healer/DPS. No long will you have to spend time waiting on a warrior or cleric who is not busy to flesh out a group for an instanced dungeon. You will not be limited based on who has time, but rather will be able to do what you can with what you have. I have to admit I didn't understand upfront how they would accomplish this, I have seen in it videos since and I agree it looks like fun. (I can go into depth on this later on)

8. Interactive grouping. No longer do you need to tag mobs to get exp, you now get exp based on your activity against that mob, no more KSing, No more ninja looting, in that everyone who is involved will get loot, no more competition for loots, and no more getting to that mining node just as someone else starts to mine it Once you get there to a node you will be able to loot it, so will they, however once they finish looting it they will not be able to do so again for some time. You will not need to group up for others to benefit from your presence. Heals will hit in AOE around the character helping group mates and non group mates alike. Buffs and bubbles will help everyone, people who are participating in an event near you will benefit from your rez, your buff, your activity in general. Gone are the days of being annoyed others are around because of KS, Ninja looting, and mob tagging. Now the events will scale up based on the number of people involved in the event. The game will decide how difficult this should be based on the number of people with active participation in the event.

9. Massive list of abilities and combinations of skills. There is no way I can do this system justice in this short area. Because this is complicated and very deep I will make a follow up post on this system it may not be brand new and ground breaking but it sure looks like a fun system.

10. Crafting: As in any game this is complicated but the GW2 people have made some major improvements. Have you every had 150 + ore that you wanted to make into bars and you just went AFK for 30 mins to let the game spam through the slow process of making Gold bars? They have done away with that mechanism. You will need to make them into bars but when you have a bunch to do it rapidly speeds up until it does a massive amount of them quickly. Then you don’t buy recipes of items, You attempt to combination one item with another item to see what it will make. Once you find a combo you learn the recipe for that item. I am sure lots of source material will be available online for some but this system will make crafting much more fun for those people who love stuff like that. An Example of the crafting system can be found on this NDA cleared youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-elq2JYl ... AAAAAAABAA

11. WvWvW: world vs world vs world: will be a 2 week event where three servers fight over a huge block of land filled with keeps and defensible areas. If you have played Warhammer you will recognize some these ideas but they have tuned this up more. You will fight over ownership of keeps, castles, and villages in a 3 way battle in real time 24 hours persistent world. Each server will gain bonuses from the actions of the WvWvW activities. They have proposed that servers will get exp bonuses, or damage boosts, that will also stretch over into the people just playing in PvE areas, thus making it important part of the game for everyone. This area will be designed with siege weapons that will be placed by players who will defend their lands and or attempt to take control of the other servers lands. They have said that at the end of each 2 weeks’ time one of the three servers will be dubbed winner of the time frame and 2 new servers will be linked to your own keeping the fight fresh and relevant even for the server who lost the previous match up. Including a rotation of what servers are matched against whom. They said they will rank the servers with an attempt to not out match weaker WvWvW servers against very well organized ones. The people who played in the latest NDA opened Media event said they loved the game play in the WvWvW areas, and even with massive groups of players said the servers performed well.

12. Dynamic Event Quests: No longer will you go to a quest hub to gather quests to go around an area and kill 40 of this mob or gather 10 of this item that has a 1 in 10 drop rate. Now the game will spawn dynamic events in areas even when people are not around similar to the way Rifts, Rifts were, however these events will be dynamic to the zone. Raiders on a village will take over a town, kill the towns people, burn the houses, if they are not pushed back. All of these events have stages as well. As I have heard if you don’t succeed in saving the town they set up house there and launch more raids on other areas of the map, if you do push them back you can launch your own attack on their base village or what not. The events will change based on player activity thus dynamic events. This includes attacks by large giant Dragons, one such video has been released by the guild wars guys showing a huge skeleton dragon attacking a beach line.

13. Orchestrated Music: by Jeremy Soule. Actual orchestra music composed specifically for this game. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trAzl6aF8J4

There are other good changes to this game, I was just limited in time today so I wanted to just throw this together for you quickly.

This site is also helpful in explaining some of the changes to this game. http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game ... tions.html

There has been so much info leaked on purpose by the GW 2 makers that they are not hiding their game behind a NDA, they have opened the window and have allowed us to see inside to what they have done and I have to admit I have watched 6 hours + of game-play videos done by various people and so far as I can tell the game is living up to all the hype and is actually looking very good. The graphics look better then SWTOR in my opinion and it looks like its a bit bug free.

I will add another post on this subject shortly to help detail other information specifically about abilities and skills, I left that one a bit open because it would have taken me hours to set up a post on it.

I just noted that a few of these items need to be updated as more is known now about the real cash items and the leveling curve, but most of the info is very close. I will make an update on this at some point.

To be honest.. all that sounds realllly good :). Especially 3, 4, and 5.

If i could just get in the beta to give it a quick test.

Back