Half-Life 2 theives caught

Parakletos

LOS ANGELES - Arrests have been made in the theft last year of source code for Valve Software's highly anticipated PC game "Half-Life 2," an FBI spokesman in Seattle said on Thursday.

Details about the arrests, which were made in several countries, were not made public because they are part of an ongoing investigation, FBI spokesman Ray Lauer said.

Valve officials said the online gaming community tracked down the purported hackers within days of the company's announcement last fall that the release of "Half-Life 2" would be delayed because of the Internet break-in.

The hackers stole the source code and distributed portions online in one of the worst data thefts to hit the video game industry, prompting fans to pledge their help.

"It was extraordinary to watch how quickly and how cleverly gamers were able to unravel what are traditionally unsolvable problems for law enforcement related to this kind of cyber crime," Valve Chief Executive Gabe Newell said in a statement.

Newell said Valve has been working with law enforcement authorities in various nations to prepare cases against the accused code thieves. It was not clear when the arrests were made.

"Half-Life," one of the most popular games ever, stars hunky scientist Gordon Freeman as he battles against aliens. Its sequel was to be published by Vivendi Universal Games, the video game arm of Vivendi Universal.

A Valve spokeswoman said no release date has been set but the firm expected to complete the game this summer.

it's all a hoax cause Valve couldn't construct a cardboard box in that short a period of time.. watch, there will be another delay.

Yeah I heard about this... the article was put up around june 8 I think.  I also read that they were from around seatle. And that Gabe Newwell said that it took a few days for members of the online community to track them down.

Is this news possibly a hoax? When I visited Valve Software's web site, I couldn't find such a press release.

As for the difference in dates (the hackers being caught several months ago and the news only being released now), it might be for legal and security reasons. Maybe.

Considering how many times Valve has broken their promises, I don't know if I would believe them even if they did post a press release.

*hugs Epic Games and his copy of UT2004*

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tek7 @ June 14 2004,3:49)]*hugs Epic Games and his copy of UT2004*
Right on
biggrin.gif

Hugs wife.. kids.. dog.. cats..

(Piet has a life as well
biggrin.gif
)

then hugs copy of Battlefield:Vietnam

(but he is a little bit of a geek)

then drive away in his '73 Camaro...

(he is OLD.... therfore insurance is cheap for him)

laugh.gif

Back