Having Some Issues (and Questions)

Ryooshi

Apart from having some gameplay issues such as horrible lag, graphical lag, and stuttering/chugging gameplay, I really like FFXIV. I can't say for sure that I'll be getting it though. Other than money being extremely tight right now, I'm a bit confused as to how to play. :p I are noob.

I'll get to my tech issues in a moment, but first:

Questleves- When I complete a battle leve and use the aetheryte rift, what do I do next? I can't accept any more battle leves from the Adventurer's guild, and I know there's a 24-48 hour CD on leves, but does that mean I'm done for the time being? Obviously, the beta isn't the full game, so there's going to be more content in the release -- just curious if this is beta only or the mechanic of questing in XIV?

Classes- I understand that I just swap weapons to change, but I'm not sure where to get any. Can someone who started as an archer go fishing, mining, or smithing, or must I stick with pugilist, gladiator, etc? Or is this not implemented in the beta?

Gear Repair- Is there durability on gear? If so, where do I repair? Speaking of gear, how do I obtain more? Or is this another example of limited beta test content?

Ability Training- I completed Color of Sins in Gridania, and along the way I was told I learned a new ability and to move it to my action bars via the menu. I checked the Traits and Abilities submenu, but nothing was there. Beta bug, or not implemented in beta?

I think that's about it for gameplay questions. I'm having a blast otherwise. As for tech issues:

Chugging/Stuttering/Choppiness- Not sure what the technical term is for this, but as I'm running the game seems to be skipping forward a few frames, almost like a constant Mage mini-Blink if you're familiar with WoW. It's extremely hard on my eyes. :( Beta client issue, or hardware (see specs below)?

Lag/Latency- It's hard to tell exactly what my ping is, because I'm not familiar with how packets are supposed to be handled via S and R. But I'm R(receiving?) anywhere between 200-300+ and S(sending) less than or around 50. When I'm in combat or typically interacting with something via menu such as NPC menus or Aetheryte Crystals, it takes 10-30+ seconds to show up. Selected actions like Initiate Levequest, and even combat abilities and target/self HP are severely out of sync. Beta client issue, server side issue, or possibly firewall or physical location?

Graphical lag- Pretty annoying to say the least. It takes upwards of a minute to two minutes to load NPCs and players when entering a new area. I can run out of the Adventurer's Guild and not load people running by for a few seconds as well. And for instance, I ran to Camp Bentbranch in Gridania from the forest path, and it took around six minutes to load players and the NPCs. Sometimes I can turn my camera and lose sight of players, then stop and wait a second and they load back. Beta client issue, or tech issue (see specs below).

My setup:
I've tried fullscreen and windowed mode, and no AA/2xAA/4xAA. I always have low shadow, no AO, no DoF, low texture quality, lowest texture filtering, no shadows, no dust, no physics, and no extended drawing.

Intel Core 2 Processor Q6600 (2.40Ghz 1066FSB) w/ Quad Core Technology & 8MB Cache
3GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz
500GB Serial ATA II Hard Drive (7200 RPM)
ATI RADEON HD3650 256MB
Dell 0FM586 266 Megahertz Bus Clock Motherboard
Vista Home Premium, no desktop window effects

Anyhow, I know beta is beta and not a demo of the final product. Right now it's just hard to play with my lag and the chugging/stuttering. I think the main two things that will keep me from purchasing at launch will be my hardware (feedback please? :) ) and money. $13 a month isn't too bad, and $50 for standard edition isn't either; however, I've already made my pre-order for WoW's Cataclysm CE, and look forward to that immensely. I wanted to be able to play FFXIV during WoW breaks and boring days. So far, it's awesome though.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Also, does anyone have word on gametime cards? Or is subbing via debit/credit the only option? Thanks!

The FF14 Core forum has plenty of ATI-chuggers, myself included (on a 5850 with a PC that can more than handle this game). This too is becoming a deal breaker.

As for the latentcy with the menus/combat, I'm getting (2-5) second lag between animations or menu systems. May be because server is in Japan, orrrr they have a lot more optimization to do.

For the class question, may need to check out your class's... shop? (Think it's 3 per city?)

Don't know about the rest.

Apart from having some gameplay issues such as horrible lag, graphical lag, and stuttering/chugging gameplay, I really like FFXIV. I can't say for sure that I'll be getting it though. Other than money being extremely tight right now, I'm a bit confused as to how to play. :p I are noob.

Yeah, this game is not the easiest to get used to. I know they tried to make it more like a PS type Final Fantasy game and less like an MMO, but I think they went just a bit too far in that direction.

I will try to help you though. The first thing though, try starting in a different town, I had crazy problems in Gridania and the game crashed on me every couple of minutes until I finally started a character in another city. (the Desert city)

Questleves- When I complete a battle leve and use the aetheryte rift, what do I do next? I can't accept any more battle leves from the Adventurer's guild, and I know there's a 24-48 hour CD on leves, but does that mean I'm done for the time being? Obviously, the beta isn't the full game, so there's going to be more content in the release -- just curious if this is beta only or the mechanic of questing in XIV?

After you complete the first leve they give you go back to the city and talk to the leve vendor and sign up for some more leves. Do not do this before you complete the first one or else you lose the first one (as it is sort of a training leve). Then you can go back to the town and go to the arathorite thingy and start the leves.

Classes- I understand that I just swap weapons to change, but I'm not sure where to get any. Can someone who started as an archer go fishing, mining, or smithing, or must I stick with pugilist, gladiator, etc? Or is this not implemented in the beta?

The weapons cost just under 1,000 gil, so if you do the first training leve they give you then you can get a weapon right away. In the city I started in, the desert one, (I forget the name :p) there is one shop vendor for disciples of war weapons and another shop for disciples of magic. I do not know where to get the crafting items, if anybody finds out please let me know. :D

Gear Repair- Is there durability on gear? If so, where do I repair? Speaking of gear, how do I obtain more? Or is this another example of limited beta test content?

I have not played long enough to figure this out but gear is supposed to have durability and people who have the right class will be able to repair it for you. I'm sure there will be some NPC vendors to do it too. I do not know if it is in the beta or not, but I see no reason why it wouldn't be.

Ability Training- I completed Color of Sins in Gridania, and along the way I was told I learned a new ability and to move it to my action bars via the menu. I checked the Traits and Abilities submenu, but nothing was there. Beta bug, or not implemented in beta?

Yeah, this one got me too and Sean had to walk me through it. (You cannot equip new abilities when you are dead by the way. ;)) In the menu there is an option labeled abilities and something (not in the game right now so I cannot look up the exact name). Once in there you have to select an empty slot, go right and up to the drop down menu (hard to see, I missed it several times lol) and select the one option in there (which is whatever weapon you have equiped, i.e. sword for Gladiator). Then give it a couple of seconds and your new ability will appear, click it and select to use main hand and then I had to wait like 10 seconds before it actually popped into the boxes on the left. But that was it.

I sure hope the lag issues go away before launch.....

Anyway, good luck and let me know if any of that helped. :)

I'll get to my tech issues in a moment, but first:

Right now you can only have 4 leves at a time...which is a beta only thing... Also...we are looking at about 15-20% of stuff we will be able to do... Not only will there be many more leves and storyline quests to do at launch, but there will also be hourly events call Behests...and other stuff they still haven't told us... Don't be discourage by the lack of activities, they are keeping a lot from us...

In each city there are vendors for each thing... There is one that sells weapons for War classes, one for magic, and then the rest have the own vendors... I am not sure where the vendors for the war and magic classes are in Gridania, but in Ul'dah they are on the map... I still have yet to find all the hand and land vendors...but I have yet to look that stuff up yet...I have been very busy with work, and getting this chapter together :)

First off...yes...this feature is rather limited in beta at the moment... NPCs can repair your gear up to 50%...players can repair your gear/you can repair your own up to 100%...not sure where the NPCs are you repair... Most gear is obtained by either leves or making it yourself... The retainer system is locked at the moment, so a "AH" like system is not there yet...

Nope...you need to click the drop down menu right above where it says "unequip" and select the weapon you are using...by now you probably have 3 or 4 new abilities to put on your action bar :p

I think that's about it for gameplay questions. I'm having a blast otherwise. As for tech issues:

Chugging/Stuttering/Choppiness- Not sure what the technical term is for this, but as I'm running the game seems to be skipping forward a few frames, almost like a constant Mage mini-Blink if you're familiar with WoW. It's extremely hard on my eyes. :( Beta client issue, or hardware (see specs below)?

This is an ATI card issue...they are working on it...

Lag/Latency- It's hard to tell exactly what my ping is, because I'm not familiar with how packets are supposed to be handled via S and R. But I'm R(receiving?) anywhere between 200-300+ and S(sending) less than or around 50. When I'm in combat or typically interacting with something via menu such as NPC menus or Aetheryte Crystals, it takes 10-30+ seconds to show up. Selected actions like Initiate Levequest, and even combat abilities and target/self HP are severely out of sync. Beta client issue, server side issue, or possibly firewall or physical location?

You are here with the rest of us... SE claims that this will be fixed by launch, but it is a graphical lag...not latency...it seems to be worse for ATI users...

Graphical lag- Pretty annoying to say the least. It takes upwards of a minute to two minutes to load NPCs and players when entering a new area. I can run out of the Adventurer's Guild and not load people running by for a few seconds as well. And for instance, I ran to Camp Bentbranch in Gridania from the forest path, and it took around six minutes to load players and the NPCs. Sometimes I can turn my camera and lose sight of players, then stop and wait a second and they load back. Beta client issue, or tech issue (see specs below).

Gridania is the worse...everyone started getting out of there just from the sheer lag from all the people...but it never took more than 20-30 secs for it a load everything for me there...again...this may be an ATI issue...

My setup:
I've tried fullscreen and windowed mode, and no AA/2xAA/4xAA. I always have low shadow, no AO, no DoF, low texture quality, lowest texture filtering, no shadows, no dust, no physics, and no extended drawing.

Intel Core 2 Processor Q6600 (2.40Ghz 1066FSB) w/ Quad Core Technology & 8MB Cache
3GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz
ATI RADEON HD3650 256MB

Currently what is hurting your gameplay experience in FFXIV is the ATI and Vista...however, Vista hurts all gameplay experiences...fact, not opinion...

Anyhow, I know beta is beta and not a demo of the final product. Right now it's just hard to play with my lag and the chugging/stuttering. I think the main two things that will keep me from purchasing at launch will be my hardware (feedback please? :) ) and money. $13 a month isn't too bad, and $50 for standard edition isn't either; however, I've already made my pre-order for WoW's Cataclysm CE, and look forward to that immensely. I wanted to be able to play FFXIV during WoW breaks and boring days. So far, it's awesome though.

I think your specs are hurting you a little...mainly your graphics card (they recommend at least a 512MB card) and your RAM...Vista will sometimes take 2GBs of RAM...I think they recommend 4GBs of RAM if you have Vista...but only 3GBs if you have 7 or XP...but I will have to check on that...I could be wrong...

Any help or advice would be appreciated. Also, does anyone have word on gametime cards? Or is subbing via debit/credit the only option? Thanks!

Not sure about payment options...there has kinda been a confirmed gamecard info, but it was not 100%...and we are going to try to give away 2 gamecards at our town hall meeting in 2 weeks...not sure how we will do that if they do not do gamecards...but we will make a way...

I hope I answered your questions as fully as I could... :)

Awesome! Thank you, guys, for the advice. I will check out the abilities and new gear when I get the chance to log in today. I'm glad the latency doesn't seem to be on my end as a bottleneck of some sort. I hate Vista, but I actually haven't had many problems with it running other games. I can usually get about 60fps in WoW; however, WoW's graphics are obviously five or six years old anyhow. Hopefully, whatever SE does to fix ATI problems will help me.

I will test out a toon in Uldah later today. I tried Limsa earlier and was still having a few issues, but now that I think about it, they weren't as bad as Gridania.

Thanks again, and I'll see you in-game. :cool:

My setup:

3GB DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz
ATI RADEON HD3650 256MB

Well, I have some bad news -- at least it is for me. :mad:

I ran the FFXIV Benchmark application last night, and according to the score system at http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/media/benchmark/na/ , my computer doesn't meet the game requirements. I got a score of 882 with a load time of 70485 ms.

I will continue playing around with the beta, but I will have to pass on FFXIV for the time being. I don't see me having enough money for an OS and graphics card upgrade anytime soon. Have fun.

Well, I have some bad news -- at least it is for me. :mad:

I ran the FFXIV Benchmark application last night, and according to the score system at http://www.finalfantasyxiv.com/media/benchmark/na/ , my computer doesn't meet the game requirements. I got a score of 882 with a load time of 70485 ms.

I will continue playing around with the beta, but I will have to pass on FFXIV for the time being. I don't see me having enough money for an OS and graphics card upgrade anytime soon. Have fun.

That is about what my bro scored...and his computer runs it great...he is also on Vista with ATI graphics...

Sorry to hear you don't play on joining us...

Last edited:
That is about what my bro scored...and his computer runs it great...he is also on Vista with ATI graphics...

Sorry to hear you don't play on joining us...

Just curious if he's got more VRAM than my card? I'd guess so. :( I honestly think that's what's holding me back like you said. I was looking at this on TigerDirect: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4824267&sku=E145-9405&srkey=e145-9405

I probably wouldn't be able to get that anytime soon either, but who knows? Any opinions on that card?

I'd love to join you guys, but if I'm able to by year's end I'll let you know. I really like what I've seen so far, and it's definitely something I'd play. Limsa is my favorite by far, and you know I'm a sucker for an archer/hunter/ranged class. :p

Just curious if he's got more VRAM than my card? I'd guess so. :( I honestly think that's what's holding me back like you said. I was looking at this on TigerDirect: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=4824267&sku=E145-9405&srkey=e145-9405

I probably wouldn't be able to get that anytime soon either, but who knows? Any opinions on that card?

I'd love to join you guys, but if I'm able to by year's end I'll let you know. I really like what I've seen so far, and it's definitely something I'd play. Limsa is my favorite by far, and you know I'm a sucker for an archer/hunter/ranged class. :p

Scratch that question on the graphics card. I only have a 350 watt power supply, and the card I linked needs at least a 500 watt or so. :(

Back