Heavy Update: Comes Aug 19th

Keero

Tribe of Judah Membership Administrator
We've been a little quiet for the last week as we've put the finishing touches on the Heavy update. We thought the Pyro pack was the biggest we'd be doing for a while, due to the large changes to the Pyro, but the Heavy update has turned out to be even bigger. In addition to the three unlockable weapons and thirty-five achievements for the Heavy, we've got a new game mode with five new arenas for it, a new Payload map focusing on more open spaces than Goldrush, and another popular community-made map. Throughout the rest of the week we'll be giving you the details on all this, and if all goes well, you'll have your hands on it shortly afterwards.

The community-made map included in the Heavy update is cp_steel, by Jamie 'Fishbus' Manson. After the Pyro update we received a lot of email telling us how wrong we were in our choices, and cp_steel was an easy next choice due to the way it dominated the suggestions. If you're firing up your email right now to tell us that we never get anything right, please include suggestions of what map(s) we should be looking at next.

New game mode with five "arenas"? D:
New PL map ^_^
CP_Steel - I liked it
Weapons... for the Heavy. XD

I'm a bit excited. Valve says is bigger than the Pyro and Medic update, and that was huge. :p Blog will be updated for the next few days, link below. Can I get a woot? ^_^

www.Teamfortress.com
http://steamgames.com/tf2/heavy/ -- Check it everyday. ;)

Last edited:
The boxing gloves sound fine as long as the heavy doesn't get a speed boost in the update. I do wish valve would do more non-crit related weapons though.

Where is the obvious achievement named "Russian Forward" or some such thing? :p

I also had an idea for a heavy mini-gun that overheats (because mini-guns get very hot) but it's too late to post it now (like after x seconds of continuous firing it overheats needing a cool down period, the bonus would either be something like increased frontal defense or a faster firing rate just before it goes offline).

Both this and the pyro update had one achievement pun that is inappropriate unless it has an alternative meaning I don't know about (the block one) :/ .

I figured that much but I really think they are going for a dual meaning for ahem "laughs" otherwise why would it be considered funny at all. Maybe the alternative meaning is "soviet block" but that sounds completely different which wouldn't make sense given the play on words context of the of the other names.

It all looks to be a great update though. I almost wish the updates were farther apart becuase at this rate they are going to be though everyone all to soon :).

Last edited:
But that will help the balance in the end though. They can still tweak them, even if the new stuff is rushed (weapons, I hate rushed maps :p) I would like to see the Heavy's, Demo's, and the Engineers. That would be good. :)

The engineers update will be cool. I've got one upgrade valve just has to implement "REMOTE CONTROLLED ROBOT!" :D. It would rock much and solve the problem about engineers being bored out of their mind in some corner of the map babysitting their sentry.

1.You would have to trade out the teleporter for it.
2. It would cost the most metal to make so the engineer could not continually spit them out (thinking 300-400 at least).
3. You yourself could not move while controlling it since you'd be playing through it's eyes. This would be the major downside because it would do nothing unless you control it and would also leave you vulnerable to attack while controlling it.
4. Only an engy could repair damage on it giving them a medic type of game play option.
5. You could not cap or take intel with it.
6. Equipped with heavy like mini-gun, simular life (maybe buffed heavy) and speed.
7. It could be sapped.
8. Could not be controlled or built from within the spawn.
9. It's bullets would damage you like your sentry does.

Last edited:
Bout time, I am excited for this update new maps, new weapons, and new achievements what more could you ask for.
My brother who likes sniper thinks it will be the next update, Im hoping that it wont...(me hates sniper).
Are the gloves the only weapon that they have reviled?

...Are the gloves the only weapon that they have reviled?

I loath them too! Those accursed reviled gloves! Back! Back to the depths with you gloves! :p

I like it when the automatic spell checkers betray people other than me... Me thinks, with probably the worst typing/spelling skills online, I am soon to get my come-uppance for this >.< :p

Oh yeah to answer your question only seen the gloves so far myself.

Last edited:
I figured that much but I really think they are going for a dual meaning for ahem "laughs" otherwise why would it be considered funny at all. Maybe the alternative meaning is "soviet block" but that sounds completely different which wouldn't make sense given the play on words context of the of the other names.
No, they're definitely making a vulgar pun with the "Crock Block" achievement. I won't explain the pun on public forums.

There's no chance of them referring to the Soviet (or Eastern) Bloc because that term is spelled without the ending "k."

I almost wish the updates were farther apart becuase at this rate they are going to be though everyone all to soon :).
I wish they would hurry up with the achievements but take their time on other update components like community maps and gametypes. Otherwise, we have two weeks of public servers packed with most people playing the latest class to get an achievement pack.

The first two packs have been for my two favorite classes, so it's been very annoying. I'm actually looking forward to the Heavy achievement pack in hopes of fewer people playing Pyro.

I loath them too! Those accursed reviled gloves! Back! Back to the depths with you gloves! :p

I like it when the automatic spell checkers betray people other than me.

ha ha I had a feeling I choose the wrong choice in the list for the word but was to lazy to fix it...i'm not the best when it comes to spelling and grammar.

...Otherwise, we have two weeks of public servers packed with most people playing the latest class to get an achievement pack.

... I'm actually looking forward to the Heavy achievement pack in hopes of fewer people playing Pyro.

...and I'm looking forward to the scores of newbies trying to play heavy running around wif der wittle boxing gloves. You know which class I'lll be playing opposite them Mwhahahaha! :p

Last edited:
Boy, I'm already spit shining my sniper scope, so many big, fat, Russian heads to blow up...

Back