Heavy Update: Comes Aug 19th

re: the slow down mini-gun...yea, that was an idea that I hadn't considered. Very very cool, will be useful for stopping rushes to payload/flag/whatever. Man, put two heavies together, one with the Natasha, and the other with Sasha and you've got a meat grinder: one slows 'em down to make easy targets while the other dishes out full damage.

re: the slow down mini-gun...yea, that was an idea that I hadn't considered. Very very cool, will be useful for stopping rushes to payload/flag/whatever. Man, put two heavies together, one with the Natasha, and the other with Sasha and you've got a meat grinder: one slows 'em down to make easy targets while the other dishes out full damage.
/me starts training as Spy and Sniper

Update: Arena Mode

Wow, looks... interesting.
Here's hoping the Arena Mode gametype doesn't do to TF2 what the Combat gametype did to Natural Selection: greatly diminished the player base for complex and rewarding team-based gameplay.

It seems when more complex games introduce simpler "team deathmatch" gametypes, it splits the community in two and decreases the number of players for the original and more complex gametype.

I can see the Arena Mode being used more for clan matches, because when it comes to most public gamers, they would probably be sitting in spectator from losing so much. :X But TF2 will always have a big group of players because of the free weekends and media updates.

It looks like the update is available now. I started up TF2 and it told me there was an update. I couldn't get it because I'm guessing the server's overloaded.

...Is that for real?

I guess I'll have to update to find out.

"He just punched out all my blood!"

I heard people talking on a pub a while back before the announcement and thought it was just "talk" guess it's true. The thing is I am wary about anything being an endless supply. I can easily see 2 heavies with one heavy wound up covering the other while the first renews his health. Also since it replaces the shotgun they say it will make the heavy more vulnerable to snipers. Huh? Using a shotgun against snipers is practically useless anyway! In fact while I use the shotgun frequently as a engineer or pyro I almost never use it as a heavy (it's rare that you run out of ammo when your habit is getting behind people and melee'ing them :D).

At least the sandvich is different and interesting I'll give them points for that :).

Last edited:
Also since it replaces the shotgun they say it will make the heavy more vulnerable to snipers. Huh? Using a shotgun against snipers is practically useless anyway!

Well, the shotgun is useful 'cuz you can at least move and shoot at the same time, you're more mobile. Not so much with either of the machine guns.

And it does take a full 4 seconds or something to eat one. You really have to make sure you're safely away before chowing down.

I think it should be like the scout video and if you kill a heavy eating a sandvich then you get to finish it...

Well, the shotgun is useful 'cuz you can at least move and shoot at the same time, you're more mobile. Not so much with either of the machine guns.

And it does take a full 4 seconds or something to eat one. You really have to make sure you're safely away before chowing down.

There is no argument about the shotgun being useful only that Valve themselves sited it as an weapon for use against snipers, ergo long range, which it's not. I use the shotgun a lot playing as other classes but prefer to mostly use the mini as a heavy.

I think the sandvich is probably the best weapon upgrade valve has added to the game yet. It directly addresses the issue of heavies being of less use without a medic. I just would not have given the heavy an infinite supply of them but I don't think it will make the heavy to powerful (It's hard enough getting just 2 soldiers to coordinate fire it's even more unlikely you will find a large group of coordinated heavies which is what it would take).

I think it should be like the scout video and if you kill a heavy eating a sandvich then you get to finish it...

I've been told (yet to see myself) that if you kill a heavy with a sandvich he drops it for a health pick-up which I think is the proper, and great, way it should work.

Haven't gotten any of the weapons yet but my impressions from the other side are...

Sandvich A+ Given my personally limited use of the heavies shotgun I will easily trade out for this.

Natasha B Seems to be a nice alternative to Sasha but I am not sure which I'll be using. It seems like they would each be better in different situations.

K.G.B. C- Do you know how hard it is to melee as a heavy? It's hard and I tend to melee quite a bit as other classes. The thing is if you try to melee from behind as a heavy you are going to have a time catching up to people moving and if you melee from the front most classes can still run backwards faster than you can run forward. Also it's just not that powerful. Example, I was in 2fort coming up the sewer stairs as a heavy (with no medic) when a buffed enemy heavy and medic were coming down. He managed to hit me 2 or 3 times with the K.G.B and I opened up on him with Sasha point blank. He died first then his medic, I had ~70 health left. It may be ok for sneaking up on stationary enemy groups from behind but the heavy does not excel in ambushing.

Last edited:
Back