Herod's Temple

I love how u guys are building biblical structures. Very cool. Really makes me want get involved. Also what is a good place to get some good plans? Thanks guys sorry didn't mean to hijack the thread.

Zippy, I TOTALLY respect the decision of you and your fellows! ;)

Thanks for the feed-back. I shall look into the new server. Perhaps, I can even make the platform before putting it on that server too! :D

Either way, I wish you guys all the best on this project. I KNOW for a fact that you'll get so much out of this. I know I did, especially as I did studies on its history, and what it might have looked like then.

Blessings to you all!

Dave

PS- I couldn't find any information on any other servers. Can you point me in the right direction?

Last edited:
Day 21 - Plenty has been done since my last post. Sorry about not updating regularly. Many helpers have lent a hand. Those I know of are TOJBen and Koah. Check out the doors Koah built for the gate to the inner temple. I think they are really cool! And we are very thankful for the new flooring by Ben. :D

Phase I - Foundation

o COMPLETE Gravel flooring: TOJBen, busy little bee that he was today, filled in almost all that was remaining with gravel. Just need to buzz through and fill in what is left. He didn't pull up torches, so all them need to be pulled and gravel placed in there, but I don't think we need to do that just yet unless mobs become a problem. We'll probably pull more of them up in the end anyway. Just be careful when your walking because you can easily fall and might sprain your angle or something.

Phase I is completed. WOOT!!!

Phase II: Outer Walls and Court

o Walls need stacked to appropriate height with SANDSTONE
o Walls need widen to match example with SANDSTONE, just do that outside, it will end up being a hollow wall.
o Street needs laid to example on West and South Walls with STONES
(Supplies are located near the S/W corner for the walls and streets, feel free to move them down as you complete things.)
o (3/4 Finished)Portico needs finished, just a few more pillars of SNOW BLOCKS and WOODEN PLANKS placed as roof. I mapped out where the pillars should be with wool. So just pull up the wool and replace with snow.

Phase III - Inner Courts (Womens/Israel/Priests)

o Walls need put up, just follow the examples. There will be an outer wall and an inner wall. Leave the West end open.
o Stone wall needs laid around the outside, just follow example.
o The four rooms inside the Women's court are laid out and need to have walls put up, follow examples.

Here are some dimensions for reference but you can just follow the examples I've set up.:

o WEST WALL: 162 blocks long, 8 blocks high, and I think 3 or 5 wide (follow the example).
o EAST WALL: 153 blocks long, and similar to the West wall. No street.
o NORTH WALL: 105 blocks long, and similar to the East wall. No street.
o SOUTH WALL: 93 blocks long. A paved street 3 blocks wide.

Supplies needed:

o Snow/Ice Blocks
o Sandstone
o Wood planks
o We have plenty of cobble, just need a bunch of stone made from it.

Here's some updated pictures. Imagine it is 3 times bigger - because this is a 1/3 scale model!!

View attachment 1351

View attachment 1352

Just thought I'd post some info about the Temple Mount:

There was a temple between Solomon's and Herod's (19 BC to AD 70) built by Zerubabbles (520 to 19 BC) [Hag. 4; Ezra 6]. [Solomon's Temple: 1Kgs. 6-7; 2Chron. 2-4]

After Solomon's Temple was destroyed, Nehemiah oversaw the rebuilding of the gates and walls. The walls and gates of Jerusalem were quickly rebuilt in fifty-two days. [Neh. 2:3]

Later, Zerubbabel and Jeshua oversaw the rebuilding of the temple, which finished in 515 B.C, and the commencement of its services. This temple was roughly the same size as Solomon's, but there were differences. [Haggai 2] In 168 B.C., Epiphanes raided Jerusalem and the temple and desecrated the it. In 165 B.C. these Jews took back Jerusalem and the temple. The temple was cleansed and rededicated to the Lord. The Jewish holiday, Hanukkah, celebrates this rededication and cleansing of the temple in Jerusalem.

In the days of Herod the Great, Zerubbabel's temple was replaced with a larger, more impressive temple complex. Although the actual temple building was about the size of its predecessors, the whole Temple Mount was twice as large as that of the previous temple. Construction began around 20 B.C, the temple with all of its surrounding courts, was not completely finished until 64 A.D. Herod constructed the temple in sections, gradually replacing the older temple, so that the temple services would not be disrupted. Contrary to many replicas made showing what could appear to be sandstone, the temple was built of white marble, with its eastern front plated with gold. This was the temple mentioned during Christ's time on earth [i.e. John 2; Mark 12; Matthew 28; Luke 2, etc.)

In doing research in order to build the temple, it became clearer to me why the discord over land between Jews and Muslims. "The Golden Gate faces the Mount of Olives and is the oldest continuous Jewish cemetery in the world. The popularity of this cemetery derives from its proximity to the Golden Gate, through which Jews believe that the Messiah will pass when he enters Jerusalem. And, of course when the dead are resurrected and return to the city, they want to be first in line to follow him in. Muslim rulers knew about this Jewish tradition, and they sealed the gate permanently shut. But they were afraid this might not be enough. So, aware that the Messiah would be of priestly lineage and unable to come anywhere near a cemetery, Muslims began burying their dead in front of the gate." (http://www.templemount.org/visittemp.html)

o Solomon's Temple: http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=129&letter=T&search=zerubabbels temple
o Nehemiah's Walls: http://www.bibleview.org/en/Bible/Prophets/Wall/
o Zerubbabel's Temple: http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=64&letter=H&search=Zerubbabel temple / http://www.bibleview.org/en/Bible/Prophets/TempleBuilt/
o Herod's Temple: http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=123&letter=T&search=zerubabbels temple

Great site about the Temple: http://templemountlocation.com/index.html

Great Read Zippy! :) I have been having a hard time with picturing the exterior of the Temple in that time period. Where did you find the information about the east side of the Temple laid with gold? And, was that on the outside of the temple in the back of it (The exterior wall of the Holy of Holies??

What was also interesting about that east gate was that when Christ came sitting on the colt, and all of the people watched Him enter, notice that He went straight into the temple, and had a look around until it became dark (Mark 11:11). At that same time, the people were also in waiting of the perfect lamb which the priest was going to carry into the east gate to the temple. And, it was at that precise time that Jesus entered the city, and went into the temple to inspect it. He was making sure everything was in order before His sacrifice was carried out once and for all! Fascinating isn't it?!

Also notice that the very next day, He made sure that the temple was cleaned out when He drove out the merchants from the temple. He was cleansing His Father's House before the sacrifice was made (His sacrifice). THAT's why He drove out the merchants. It was not a sin of anger, but an act that NEEDED to be done before a Holy God before the place could be called 'purified' for the sacrifice of God's Son Jesus.

That's very interesting. Let me also add something else that's interesting.

1. I don't remember where it was listed, but in jew ish scripture, it is prophesized that Jesus will enter Jerusalem and enter the temple from the east gate.

2. That east gate is currently walled up with a graveyard in front of it. This was done for 2 reasons:

a. One potential reason is that the jews of today don't want just anybody walking through there claiming to be the messiah because they're still waiting for him. The wall is to prevent normal entry, and the graveyard makes the ground unholy, and thus, a holy being wouldn't be able to walk through and enter the temple while remaining clean.

b. Many people chose to be buried their hoping that when Christ comes through that gate, they'll be blessed or even raised up.

3. Jesus was able to fulfill the prophecy and pass through the east gate without being troubled by a wall or a graveyard. And He did so by entering before they were put in.

Just some thoughts I remember from back in my Lutheran Catechism.

Um Malohut ....

The graves right outside the east gate are those of Muslims. The Muslims actually closed up, walled over, shut off the east gate.

Because of the Messianic association with the Golden Gate - which clearly symbolizes both judgment and mercy because of the Arabic names attached to the gate - adherents to all three faiths have wanted to be buried as close as possible to the Golden Gate. The assumption was that the dead in the immediate vicinity would be the first to be raised. In the Middle Ages the Jews were forbidden to bury on Mount Moriah. Instead they buried their dead opposite the gate and to the South on the Mount of Olives. This Jewish cemetery is the oldest in continuous use anywhere in the world. A burial plot, it is said, if it were available there, could cost $50,000 or more. The Christian cemetery lies in the bottom of the Kidron Valley (in sad condition) while the Muslim burial area covers the eastern Temple Mount hillside up to and surrounding the Golden Gate.

Tradition
According to Jewish tradition the Messiah (Mashiach) will enter Jerusalem from the east. The gate has a special holiness; legend has it that the Shechinah (Divine Presence) used to appear through this gate and will appear again, and that in the meantime it must be left untouched.
The Arabs (Moslems) call this gate The Mercy Gate (Bab el Rahmeh) and according to the Koran, the just will pass through this gate on the Day of Judgment.

The Sealed Gate

It is interesting that this gate is the only one of the eight gates in Jerusalem that is sealed. The Arabs believe that since the Jews expect that Messiah would come through this gate (Sha'ar harachamim) they would try to prevent any possibility of His return.

The East gate was walled up by it's Muslim conquerors (the Ottoman Turks) with great stones in 1530 A.D. and a cemetery was planted in front of it thinking that the Jewish Messiah could not set foot in a cemetery and therefore would not be able to come. Many believe this was done to prevent the entrance of the Jewish Messiah through that gate as was foretold by known Old Testament prophecies. However, Ezekiel prophesied the shutting of this gate itself around 600 B.C. -- that it would be shut "because the LORD (Jehovah or Yahweh), the God of Israel, hath entered in by it, therefore it shall be shut."

Sources:
o http://www.bible-history.com/jewishtemple/JEWISH_TEMPLEThe_Golden_Gate.htm
o http://www.templemount.org/visittemp.html

Another FYI that I didn't know - or realize - or even think about. All this time when I heard about the Wailing Wall, I thought it was an outside wall of the Temple Mount area. I knew it wasn't the wall to the inner courts. BUT I just found out, it is actually the western retaining wall that was under the mount.

I've learned so much while doing the project. Can't wait to help you out with your Noah's Ark one and see what we learn from that! Have you started that?

ah alright. Well the part about being buried there for Christ's arrival I actually heard off of Catholic radio. So I apologize about that.

Ah. Thank you Abea. I did research and misunderstood the facts just a bit.

Yes, the walling up of the eastern gate was not done by jews, but by muslims.

"Muslims expect the Golden Gate to be a part of the last judgment of men at the end of history. In 692CE the Dome of Rock was built by Caliph Abdel-Malik on the top of the Temple Mount. It's believed that it was right around that time when Muslims sealed off the Golden Gate with 15 foot thick stone structure in order to prevent the fulfillment of Zachariah's prophecy and keep the Jewish Messiah from entering the Temple Mount."*

And the raising up of the dead was from a prophecy:

"During the time of the First Temple period this was the closest entrance to the Temple of Solomon. The Jews believe that the Mashiach (Messiah) will enter Jerusalem from the east through the Golden Gate and as he enters the Temple Mount he'll bring redemption to the Hebrew nation. According to the prophecy of Zachariah, when the Mashiach passes through the gate he'll blow the ram's horn and all the dead, laying at the Jewish cemetery on the Mount of Olives, will rise up from their graves."*

So I got my facts a little mixed up, but it's still interesting information regarding the eastern / golden gate.

* - http://www.jerusalemonmymind.com/Jerusalem gates 2.html

Day 25 - Moving right alone. Had two visitors today, Imbrucy and Ty (can't remember his whole name lol). Koah and I worked on the inner temple. Boy this is where it is getting confusing. But we shall figure it out. Just need to read and digest it all. I value Koah's input and enthusiasm for the project. We are both learning so much. Its awesome! We worked on the Women's Court - which is pretty much completed, and started working on the Priests court. Got the Altar up and fired.

o Walls need stacked to appropriate height with SANDSTONE
o Walls need widen to match example with SANDSTONE, just do that outside, it will end up being a hollow wall.
o Street needs laid to example on West and South Walls with STONES
(Supplies are located near the S/W corner for the walls and streets, feel free to move them down as you complete things.)
o (3/4 Finished)Portico needs finished, just a few more pillars of SNOW BLOCKS and WOODEN PLANKS placed as roof. I mapped out where the pillars should be with wool. So just pull up the wool and replace with snow.

o Walls need put up, just follow the examples. There will be an outer wall and an inner wall. Leave the West end open.
o COMPLETE The four rooms inside the Women's court are laid out and need to have walls put up, follow examples.
o COMPLETE Altar installed

Phase IV - Holy Place and Holy of Holies

o Needs laid out yet

Supplies needed:

o Snow/Ice Blocks
o Sandstone
o Wood planks
o We have plenty of cobble, just need a bunch of stone made from it.

Here's some updated pictures. Imagine it is 3 times bigger - because this is a 1/3 scale model!!

View attachment 1354

View attachment 1355

Day 28 - Mined/Crafted over 40 stacks of standstone and finished 2 outside walls and 2.5 inside walls. Still need much more! The streets (which you can't see in the picture) were also laid today.

o Walls need stacked to appropriate height with SANDSTONE on 2 outside walls on the east and north, and 1/2 of the east wall and all of the north wall.
o Walls need "roof" put on between the outside and inside walls that way it will look like a solid wall, but will really end up being a hollow wall. (Supplies are located near the S/W corner for the walls and streets, feel free to move them down as you complete things.)
o COMPLETE Street needs laid to example on West and South Walls with STONES

o COMPLETE The four rooms inside the Women's court are laid out and need to have walls put up, follow examples.
o COMPLETE Altar installed

o Needs laid out yet

Supplies needed, if you would like to donate, you can just send them to my mail box. Put the item in your hand and then type: /mailbox send abea

Try to mail supplies in the form that takes up the least number of spaces (see below). Your donations are much appreciated!

o Snow balls/Snow Blocks (Please mail in Snow Blocks)
o Sand/Sandstone (Please mail in Sandstone)
o Wood/Wood planks (Please mail in Wood)

If you would like to visit the temple, there is a gate at spawn that will take you there. In the front portion of the back section of the spawn building on your left as you walk in, go down the ladder going under the building. Walk through the sandstone gate with water. When you come out at the temple, you will be under the steps. Walk out the door, and go up the steps and you are there!

View attachment 1356

View attachment 1357

Last edited:
Moving right along. JDC pitched in today with some labor and supplies. I just love the way everyone is contributing in one way or another. I heard Zirota went hunting down some grey wool the other day too! We are getting closer to the finished project!

o Walls need stacked to appropriate height with SANDSTONE on 2 outside walls on the east and north (On pictures this is labeled E. Just need to run one full wall down at 7 blocks high right along the inside wall that is already there), and COMPLETE 1/2 of the east wall and all of the north wall.
o COMPLETED Walls need "roof" put on between the outside and inside walls that way it will look like a solid wall, but will really end up being a hollow wall (Labeled A in pictures). (Supplies are located near the S/W corner for the walls and streets, feel free to move them down as you complete things.)
o Portico needs finished, just a few more pillars of SNOW BLOCKS and WOODEN PLANKS placed as roof. The S/W section needs to be corrected. The South Portico needs to be extended and the West portico should join with the South one (Labeled B on picture) (See S/E Corner). There is some extra sandstone blocks there that can be taken up and gravel needs laid to the corner. (Labeled C in picture).

o Walls need put up, just follow the examples. There will be an outer wall and an inner wall. Stack the outer wall to match the height of the highest wall already done. (The wall is labeled D on the pictures). Leave the West end open (labeled X in the pictures).
o COMPLETED Stone wall needs laid around the outside, just follow example.

o Needs laid out yet - I have it laid out on paper, just need to lay it out on minecraft. :D

Supplies needed, if you would like to donate, you can just send them to my mail box. Put the item in your hand and then type: /mailbox send abea

Try to mail supplies in the form that takes up the least number of spaces (see below). Your donations are much appreciated!

o Wood/Wood planks (Please mail in Wood)

If you would like to visit the temple, there is a gate at spawn that will take you there. In the front portion of the back section of the spawn building on your left as you walk in, go down the ladder going under the building. Walk through the sandstone gate with water. When you come out at the temple, you will be under the steps. Walk out the door, and go up the steps and you are there!

View attachment 1361

View attachment 1362

View attachment 1363

View attachment 1364

I'll be working for the next two days, so won't be on much to contribute. Here's the status as of right now on things.

o Walls need stacked to appropriate height with SANDSTONE on 2 outside walls on the east and north. On the east wall, follow the layout starting at the S/E End. On the North wall, just run one block wide/7 blocks high along outside of the inside wall. (On pictures this is labeled E.)
o Walls need "roof" put on between the outside and inside walls that way it will look like a solid wall, but will really end up being a hollow wall (Labeled A in pictures). (Supplies are located near the S/W corner for the walls and streets, feel free to move them down as you complete things.)
o COMPLETED Portico needs finished, just a few more pillars of SNOW BLOCKS and WOODEN PLANKS placed as roof. The S/W section needs to be corrected. The South Portico needs to be extended and the West portico should join with the South one (Labeled B on picture) (See S/E Corner). There is some extra sandstone blocks there that can be taken up and gravel needs laid to the corner. (Labeled C in picture).

o Walls need put up, just follow the examples. There will be an outer wall and an inner wall. Stack the outer wall to match the height of the highest wall already done. (The wall is labeled D on the pictures). Leave the West end open (labeled X in the pictures).

o Needs laid out yet - I have it laid out on paper, just need to lay it out on minecraft.

Last edited:
Day umm 30+9, 39 yeah that's it. :D Koah made an excellent suggestion of using Glowstone instead of gold or yellow wool and it is perfect! JDC and I have made some glowstone contributions. We need about 20 more blocks but things are progressing nicely. We had a brief but fun visit from Tek7 tonight as well.

o Walls need stacked to appropriate height with SANDSTONE on 2 outside walls on the east and north. On the east wall, follow the layout starting at the S/E End. On the North wall, just run one block wide/7 blocks high along outside of the inside wall. (On pictures this is labeled E.)
o Walls need "roof" put on between the outside and inside walls that way it will look like a solid wall, but will really end up being a hollow wall (Labeled A in pictures). (Supplies are located near the S/W corner for the walls and streets, feel free to move them down as you complete things.)

o I have it pretty much laid out, just a few more details.

o Glowstone

If you would like to visit the temple, there is a gate at spawn in Gamma World (World 1) that will take you there. In the front portion of the back section of the spawn building on your left as you walk in, go down the ladder going under the building. Walk through the sandstone gate with water. When you come out at the temple, you will be under the steps. Walk out the door, and go up the steps and you are there!

Here are a couple of pictures of the progress.
View attachment 1372

View attachment 1373

Ok, so since I plan to move as much of Herod's temple to the new world in 1.8 as I am allowed, I think we'll just hold off on construction at this time.

I'll just be concentrating on collecting materials so that when the move happens, all the building supplies will already be available.

o Glowstone (need about 25-30 blocks)
o Iron ore - NOT IRON - raw mined iron blocks

*happy tears*

It's BACK!!! Thanks to BLSimpson and Rexul *hugs both*

Once it is ready to be worked on again, BL will place a warp sign to it. Then on with the project if anyone wants to contribute to it.

*happy tears*

It's BACK!!! Thanks to BLSimpson and Rexul *hugs both*

Once it is ready to be worked on again, BL will place a warp sign to it. Then on with the project if anyone wants to contribute to it.

Ah, those good-ol' days... Can I contribute mushrooms? That was the time Notch added their natural spread, and they nearly took over the world! Well, they filled our caves and under your temple, right?

Abea - I was able to spin the building around, so the East gate is actually pointing East now. :) It may of may not have changed some things though, so I will need you to take a look, and see.. :)

Working today, just have time this morn to do the email response stuff. Will look tomorrow sometime. ;) THANK YOU!!!!

Back