Honest comparison with WoW?

inkelis

I'm looking for a good comparison to WoW. And please, no fanboy comments.

So, post your reviews of the game!

It compared nicely. Both are great games with great developers. WAR brings some much needed fresh ideas to the genre as well as takes the good parts of WoW and makes them better.

Grouping is super easy, I love a LFG tool that actually works and makes sense. I was never a huge PvP fan but I absolutely love PvP with a purpose.

The game is very very deep. With the achievement system you really have tons of depth in questing and exploring. There is lots of things to do. Exploring is its own thing, questing another, Public Quests are a separate entity of their own, then there are the Scenarios on demand, and best of all Open RvR battlefield objectives. Oh and crafting that can be done anywhere at any time.

Graphics are superb if you have a nice system, I can not comment on an old machine as mine is a brand new gaming rig. I am often blown away with the zones and how fantastic they look.

For being an RvR game I was astonished how much PvE stuff there is. Its all there, instances, raids, questing, and its all very deep and involved.

I love the game and see me easily playing it for years to come. I cannot wait to see what the Mythic teams does in regards to content patches and expansions. (not that it needs it, I have months and months of current content to deal with)

It's hard to give a fair evaluation when you've not even been able to get a toon up to or above 20. Ewok's is correct in what he's protrayed, but I feel if you like story line, WoW appeals to the 'roll play' wanting to read the quests for the fun. WoW to me is also something I would play with my family (younger generation) but I don't think I'd play War with younger ones. I don't like the over tone of grief/antagonism/witches etc. (there is quite a demonic overtone to a lot of content) Still, there are things War offers in pvp that WoW doesn't and I am getting much enjoyment out of that. I'm very much looking forward to getting into the keep seiges etc.

Like I said, I've not leveled a toon up to above 18 so far, so my view is scued. (sp?) I feel a bit cheated that order doesn't have a good duel wielder. Still, I've been having a lot of fun with my rune priest and low level shadow warrior. Like any game, there are pluses and minus'.

I don't feel that the professions are smooth and easy to understand. (this may be me and my hard to penetrate old mind) It's something I need to work on still.

I'm still keeping an open mind and might return to WoW. Hard to say at this point. I'd like to get a few toons to 40 and see how I feel then. I might be easily tempted to stay for a while.

*Rant On*

Game is still very buggy and crashes for lots of folks most notably when flying to a major city. This makes the loading of the game very annoying. First is the login launcher, then the patcher, 4 seperate intro movies with only one that can be canceled, then the actual game loading screen, then the EULA agreement screen that never goes away and finally you get to select your character and wait for the ingame loading screen. Of course it crashed zoning into a major city so you are warmly greetted with lag and a delay as all the city objects, players and NPCs populate.

*Rant Off*

As was already stated, there is a lot to do in this game which makes it a lot of fun. PvP is easy to get into even at level 1 and the rewards are great. The quest areas shown on the map makes questing a lot easier but the quests seem to be really disjointed. I can't tell you how many times you will have to run back and forth between towns and areas to complete some of the Tier 2 stuff. The graphics are pretty good but can very taxing on a system and I have 2 graphics cards running in SLI and framerates can get choppy at times. My impression so far is it is just below WoW. I found it a lot better game then Lord of the Rings Online and didn't even bother with Age of Conan because of all the bad press about it. WAR's rvr aspect will be a big draw to the game as it is a lot of fun and allows all classes to contribute even tanks as there is a lot of pve mixed into it too.

*Rant On*

Game is still very buggy and crashes for lots of folks most notably when flying to a major city. This makes the loading of the game very annoying. First is the login launcher, then the patcher, 4 seperate intro movies with only one that can be canceled, then the actual game loading screen, then the EULA agreement screen that never goes away and finally you get to select your character and wait for the ingame loading screen. Of course it crashed zoning into a major city so you are warmly greetted with lag and a delay as all the city objects, players and NPCs populate.

*Rant Off*

Interesting I have not experienced these problems. It might be because I had them in the beta and set my graphics settings to take care of them then. I don't even remember the movies but I am sure they are there.

I am actually running WAR better than WoW. My laptop does not have the issues others are having. I had more issues running MC and my video card over heating and shutting down the computer than I have in WAR.

However, I do know the heavy lag is coming later down the road for WAR. Keep seiges with 200 people are going to be very interesting.

I agree there are some issues with WAR that most if not all games have at launch. I also agree WAR is a little below WoW. However, WoW is almost three years old and on their second expansion. I personally believe WAR is about a year ahead of WoW if not more at ONE WEEK past launch.

It is really quite amazing compared to the launch of other MMO's what Mythic has done.

We all do need to remember, the game has been released for a week, do we remember the first week of WoW, let alone the first month? WoW did not have anywhere near the content WAR has upon release, plus I remember having to wait hours, and glitching left and right when WoW was released...

I have not had crashes anywhere but Altdorf, which is sad, cause the city is massive and amazing and I love exploring all the homes to see what tome unlock might be hidden in the basements.

We did an Altdorf sewer run last night. It was neat, quick and easy, no respawns, portals out at the end. Very streamlined instance with set-gear dropping on the end boss. BUT BUT I think at least 3 ppl crashed in Altdorf while forming the party and FJ dropped like 3 times himself. FIX ALTDORF crashes already!!

Either way WoW's quest are pretty shallow and thin compared to WAR in my mind.

Every quest has something to do with forwarding the war effort. In WoW I had to kill 30 spiders to get 5 widgets.

Wow, these reviews have been really helpful. I've been playing Wow for 3 years solid (Maybe more, eek.). I've seen it change drastically. I'm willing to give WAR time to change and progress.

I've played way less than many of the others, but here be my preliminary thoughts:

Pros:
1) As mentioned, the Public Quest system is brilliant. It gives you the positives of MMO groups without the agony of pulling together 5 guildie folks or dealing with flakey pugs. It's also way faster rather than a 2-hour instance. I'm not sure if it's perfect yet: if you're a marginal player, you'll get way less loot out of PQs than instance runs (you could call this a plus because it eliminates the "free rider" effect you get in WoW) and the scoring may favor fast-killing DPS types over healers, tanks, and other support people. But it's awesome and I don't see WoW being able to replicate the structure anytime soon.
2) One of the coolest things about WoW, to me, is the serverwide events. Like the Gates of AQ, the scourge invasion, that kind of thing. However, they come pretty few and far between on WoW. It's an intrinsic part of the WAR system. The entire "war" between the sides isn't just some zone-specific stuff giving some marginal temporary stat bonuses ... it moves along the entire story of the game. And the notion of having city ranks and advancement makes this even more real. You advance your toon, your advance your guild, you advance your entire army/faction and each as specific progression.
3) I just mentioned guild ranks. Again, what an awesome idea. Guilds become more than just where they sit on WoWJutsu and what boss they took down, or how many recruits they have. And there are tangible benefits to progressing in terms of guild functionality. Again, awesome.
4) Character advancement is also way cooler.
In WoW, you have four individual things to advance: XP, faction rep, PvP honor, and Arena points. XP in WoW is great, no issues there. Faction rep is, well, either a gimme thing not requiring much thought that's a side effect of other activity (e.g. Hydraxian Waterlords or Violet Eye) or a horrendous grind (e.g. notably on the ridiculous Sabertooth Trainers). The PvP honor has gone through several reshuffles, but it's still just a grind. It's a little faster grind if you've got some skills, but lucking into a good team matters a lot more than having individual skills. Lastly, arena points ... I never touched this too much and it is clearly much more skill based and it's pretty cool for groups of 2-5 friends ... but still, it's both a grind and you're locked into weekly participation to "keep up." Obviously arena rank is a bit of a hybrid as it's really your team rank that you advance.
In WAR, you have three individual things to advance: XP, renown, and influence. XP is like WoW ... the one slightly nicer WAR thing is that you get XP doing either PvE or RvR stuff so if you really don't care about the PvE part of the game, you can advance and blow it off. Options are always good. But overall, not a big difference there. Renown is basically WAR's equivalent to honor points. It's way more thought out ... most obviously becuase there are ranks to it, not just a point total. It's also more balanced ... in scenarios (WAR's equivalent of WoW's BGs), if you're a great player on a lousy team, in most cases you can still build up renown more quickly if you've got skilz than if you don't. If you're a great player on a great team, you can advance it MUCH more quickly. There is also better functionality to support the scenarios in terms of being able to join as a group. Lastly (and perhaps biggest) ... non-scenario/BG RvR is well-defined. Open-world PvP in WoW never really has worked ... the best end-game part is probably Halaa and ultimately it attracts folks who like pwning others ... there really isn't an "advancement" incentive to do it. Finally, influence basically moves the "story" along in the game and you get influence by doing PQs. It's a little weird in that if you do any substantial amount of RvR you advance quickly enough that you end up ignoring the influence progression (too much content is a weird problem to have). There are consumable and gear rewards ... so by doing PQs you get may get gear rewards from the "drops" of each successful PQ that'd done (depending on your performance/contribution and /roll luck) but you definitely get gear rewards from accumulating enough influence if you grind them out. So overall, WoW is an XP-based game where reputation and PvP are kind of specialized addons ... in WAR, XP, renown, and influence are much more integrated and less grindey. The worst part about WAR is the naming convention ... renown and influence would be better called "Battle rank" and "Lore rank" imo but that's so trivial it's not worth talking about.
5) A lot of stuff that in WoW comes from addons (or on Web databases) is in the base interface with WAR. A lot more in-game info is available with WAR.
6) WAR has a very extensive titles system. On one hand, this is trivial (do I *really* need the option to call myself Squig Bait?). On the other hand, it's fun (apparently I do, because I do call myself Squig Bait). In WoW, there were very few titles but they carried much more meaning (e.g. Grand Marshall = I had no life in late 2005).

CONS
1) Even though the graphics are clearly a product of a "four years later" game with WAR than WoW, there's some roughness. The gamma levels especially can get you ... at night, often it really is dark so you can't even where you're going or what's lurking there. Either they want a little bit overboard on the RPG part there or it's just something that needs adjusting ... I suspect that it's the latter as it's way worse with a marginal graphics card than a decent one.
2) The action responsiveness also comes out in the gameplay/action. WoW is very responsive, I felt ... the cooldown timers and button mashing are all perfectly linked such that when you mash the button, it either does the thing or it gives you an error message. It's much mushy with WAR ... seems like I'm often pushing an action button early and it still does it. The actions are all slower ... I've heard that's intented to make fighting more "strategic" and less "twitchy" but to me it kind of is the difference between driving a loose-steering buick or a tight-steering bmw. It's not to the point that it's annoying, but it is different.
3) It's been pointed out that the texts are more integrated and meaningful, this is true. But ironically, I find myself reading the text quest much less often in WAR because it's, well, LONG. In WoW, it's much more compact, so it was easy to just scan it and get the idea of what Linkk wanted me to go fetch and so on. Maybe it's a function of it being the early days of a game where everyone is leveling is fast as possible right now, too, without "smelling the roses," but there's this bizarre situation where WAR does seem to have more deeply developed lore ... but I find myself ignoring it.
4) In the end game, the whole "faction balance" element is clearly a huge deal to WAR, and a few months from now that may be a big issue. It seems like the average server is at 60% Destro 40% Order. Will that mean that it's impossible (or very hard) for Order guilds to achieve end-game objectives? Will end-game objectives be boringly easy for Destro guilds? Who knows. It's not something that WoW had to deal with. Overall, Mythic has done some very ambitious things already -- just the 3-phase launch they did was incredibly risky and ultimately probably was about a "C+" in terms of overall execution at at times risked being an "F" [vs. their very ambitious launch plan ... it was an incredibly smooth launch vs. all typical MMO metrics in terms of server uptime, short login queues, etc]. So clearly they're not scared of the challenge. So far, I'm willing to trust that one way or another, sooner rather than later, they'll pull it off. But because the end game is dependent on player vs. player and group vs. group dynamics and not just PvE dynamics that the developer can tweak and control, it's a big and fascinating "if."

Gilga Wall of Text out (e.g., the boring conference call just ended).

Last edited:
A C+ to an F?!? Sure, there were some communication issues regarding delayed delivery of the games, but problems were quickly resolved and despite the emotional reaction of hard-core gamers, very few people were delayed in joining the game on the first day. I've never ever seen a smoother release of an MMO. Granted, I haven't played more than 3 or 4 (though I've followed news reports and forums), but the sheer fact that the game functions and servers stay up should rate in the Bs!

Of course, if you're judging it based on a theoretically perfect game at launch, sure, it's not perfect, but if we're going to be remotely realistic, it's just impossible to justify the millions required to continue development to perfection with no income... I mean, did ANYBODY have fun playing on the first day of WoW release? I know I didn't!

Last edited:
I wasn't grading the launch as a whole -- I haven't been around for an MMO launch before so don't really have a benchmark at all ... didn't join WoW until 2-3 months after launch after MANY kinks had clearly been worked out.

What I'm specifically grading is Mythic's performance on their own ambitious plan that included doing the 3-stage launch with the CE headstart + SE headstart + "launch." If they hadn't decided to do the headstart (and open beta and preview weekends), they wouldn't have head preorder codes and canceled preorders in the first place and the launch might well have been perfect. Fact is, Mythic changed their published (on their web site) grace period cutoff from 9/22 to 9/19 on 9/18 ... that was seriously uncool and in the territory of contract breach, not just unlucky fanboy frustration. But fortunately the morning of 9/19 they saved it and it wasn't an issue. If I'd watched a movie Thursday night rather than been glued to the forums and the (gotta be legendary) performance by Marc Jacobs responding (and re-flaming) flames at 3 in the morning the day he launched his 3-year product, I'd have been in blissful ignorance and thought the launch was perfect.

Howver, I do think if there hadn't been the Friday morning rescue of the Amazon, GoGamer, and EA store people being locked out on the first weekend, it would have completely gone down as a botched launch (maybe "F" is harsh but I would have definitely deferred playing for several months, I think). Luckily, it didn't ... there was just unnecessary angst. There were also open beta / headstore code issues with Amazon ... again, if you didn't have an open beta with the "open" triggered by preorder codes delivered by retailers, then there's no problem. The guild angst with respect to the staggered launch and not knowing how server populations would go ... also something where a cool idea (the head start) has the unintended consequence of making things messier than they would have otherwise been.

It's the whole idea of "underpromise and overdeliver" rather than "overpromise and underdeliver." Mythic's basically promised a lot with the end game RvR and I have every reason to believe they'll totally deliver on it. But it's awfully, excitingly bold of them to depend on their modeling out not just their game dynamics ... but the population dynamics of their players to carry out the vision.

WoW's initial launch was horrible! Lag so bad you couldn't move, disconnects like crazy (and that time, it wasn't my cable modem and router acting up).

While WAR hasn't been as stable as WoW is today, comparing launch to launch, I think that WAR beats out WoW, hands down.

warvswowzb7.jpg

Re: the launch, I fixt my Wall O' Text comment above to make it clearer what I was talking about ... you guys are right about the launch from any objective evaluation as far as I can tell.

Re: graphics ... wow, great comparisons Ewoks, that makes it pretty stark. However ... still dunno if these WAR dudes can kick out the smooth moves like my drood bear could boogie...

Back