How AV works...

awnold

This guys post was a bit crass but I think there is a lot of truth about it. The AVs I have lost, there has been a call for defense, people responded, the game took about 30 min and we lost. In fact I cant remember one win of the 10 games I have seen people focus on defense. When no one says anything and mob rules, well we win almost every time. Here is what he said:

"You can talk tactics and strategy all you want, but in the end it boils down to one fact: 3/4 of all players, whether they're Horde or Alliance, don't think tactically at all. They just run straight forward until they see some enemy, and then they try to kill them.

Horde takes Stonehearth quickly while the Alliance is messing about with Galv and Iceblood Tower. Alliance who die on the front lines res at Stormpike, run foward, and run into the Horde front line. They attack, die, and res at Stormpike again... and all of a sudden, you've got a heavy Alliance defense of Stormpike. This isn't a deliberate strategy, notice no brains were used, it just *happens*.

Horde, on the other hand, charges forward, and when they die, they res at Iceblood. It's just a little hop off the ledge, and they're back at the front lines again. Eventually Stonehearth caps (usually before Iceblood is taken), and they start ressing there, with a free run up to the front lines. Presto, Horde has a 40-man offense. This isn't a deliberate strategy, no brains were used, it just *happens*.

Once Iceblood is taken, the Alliance force is usually at Frostwolf, out of the way of Horde moving north from their tunnel. So Horde can usually keep running forward to offense if they like. Alliance, on the other hand, has no way past the Horde attack on Stormpike. Except for going under the bridge and past the pond, which 3/4 of them are too stupid to do.

So, the layout of the midfield means that, if no brains are used on either side, Horde will end up with a 40-man offense, and Alliance with a strong defense. Unless Alliance ends up with 30 or more on D (which does happen), this is a guaranteed win for Alliance, since a 20-man defense can hold a 40-man offense forever."

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=54921018&sid=1

Two points:

1. This is the same reason alliance tends to lose AB. I don't know if y'all remember my post on the subject, but fighting a zerg is dumb. Remembering that a zerg leaves all the other spots wide open, you should avoid fighting zergs and instead give up your post while going off and capping theirs. With the minor exception of the Blacksmith, which you should at least TRY to keep, unless the horde really zergs it, in which case you should go capture everything else.

2. Before the last patch, fear-ward mechanics were what kept Alliance in the lead in AV. They're still a great plus. Every AV game I've been on that we won, the entire Alliance team went on offense. The rule was simple: If the hordies ever get to our base, hearth all the (non-dorf) priests, warriors, and warlocks, who can sit around and act as suicide fear-bombers. That usually stops the horde from winning for long enough for the druid/pally-healed team of teddy tanks, mages, hunters, and rogues to beat the big dude.

"Every AV game I've been on that we won, the entire Alliance team went on offense"

I have found the exact same thing. And every game I have ever lost, we had massive defense. Just like the original poster stated, we had defense around 30.

Back