How Bad are the queues?

Gilga

Reading much about 1 hr queues to login. Server status says WotS is Very Heavy ... But not full. How is it really? I have not logged on since Thu midnight pst.

Friday night I logged on at 8pm and had to wait 35 mins. I was 495 in queue

About the same as that. Unless the server says it is full, you don't get a queue at all. Thus far I haven't had an hour queue or anything like that, but the 35 minutes I got yesterday night was annoying.

Last night the estimated wait for me was 35 minutes with about 559 ahead of me. It took me an hour to get in.

So midnight Saturday and it's a 10 minute queue.

I remember WoW having queues ... but it's been at least 5 years. Forgot how annoying they were.

So SWTOR seems to have 75 servers going right now (North America only). Not a shabby number with WoW at just 250. And an awful lot of them look awfully full on server status.

How does this usually work? Do they save spots for post-launch? Or are folks who get the game in a week going to be hard pressed to roll a toon? Or do they generally not lock servers as far as toon rolling slots go ... but then guilds transfer servers to avoid queues? I missed all that part of the early months of WoW.

Last night I rolled on a new server. I had about 60mins to play and there was a 40 min queue. I assume over the next month more and more people will do things like that and hopefully that will balance out the servers.

Of course all this queuing has nothing to do with faction population (since there is no faction specific caps) and I wonder how having over 2 to 1 empire vs republic will pan out in the end game.

It's a down side of being a guild that get's placed on a server...

It seems West coast server are more packed than east coast...

West Coast PvP servers do seem to be the worst ... but all of the servers seemed pretty jammed last night. I wonder if they put in low pop caps pre-launch that they'll then raise? Or if they're planning on adding a bunch of new servers soon after launch.

Since by definition the early access folks are population that a) preordered and b) EA/Bio invited to the prelaunch ... seems like they should have a handle on the demand levels and have capacity built around it. So I gotta think they have some solution in the works that we'll see tomorrow.

Wow, 2:1 Sith? That surprises me. Wonder if it's because the prelaunch pop is older and older *tend* to roll "bad" class ... but then once we get past Christmas that they'll be a lot more younger population who roll Republic.

I'm not sure they do... WoW had queues for some time... I remember having to log in when I got home so I would be in by raid time for MC... also there were guys having their wives log them in in CA so they could make raid times, due to queues.

True, but Blizzard (and the world) had NO CLUE what the demand was going to be for WoW, and it just exploded. And WoW hasnt' really had queues for 5 years, and WoW *was* growing for the first 3 of those years, so it's something that can be beaten (if you throw enough capacity at it).

EA/Bio has Blizz's experience (from 7 years ago!) to learn from, plus all the pre-order data, plus the ability to manage capacity via their phased launch. It really has been silky smooth so far ... and it's hard to really complain about the early access queues when at this point in theory users needn't put down a red cent to play. However ... if they still have queues after launch, that's a bit of a shame. 10 min queues are slightly irritating but manageable, but 40 min queues are play-wrecking (as ewoks's experience hammers home).

What I really hope they've thought through is guilds/friends who are a mix of pre-launch and non pre-launch ... and that they saved server capacity for the latter. If the plan is to fill 75 servers pre-launch and then add another 75 in the next few weeks ... that'd beat the queues but fragment the population.

I remember playing WoW at launch and having queues for the first couple weeks or so.

I'm OK with this, it'll ease up as people quit after their first month or people move off.

The downfall is i get off work at roughly 10 EST.. So if i go to get on a server then, its 7pm on west coast.... so its late evening rather than night time, so everyone is logging on.

Good point, Will ... all the sturm and drang today does tend to go away pretty quickly. WoW was in a pretty disastrous state the first Christmas it launched and obviously it didn't hold them back in the long run...

Dai -- totally get your perspective on the East Coast servers as well. I like West Coast servers because then RL time = Server time and I don't have to convert in my head :D But that's a pretty trivial reason. However, I will say that when I've logged on the last few nights (between 10 p.m. and midnight) that pretty much every PvP server has seemed hammered, East Coast or West Coast. So I'm not sure if overall the queues would be that different for the average guildie .. I think the game in general is just getting hammered between 5 p.m. Eastern and 3 a.m. Eastern.

Right now on the European servers (where it's 11 p.m. mostly ... 1 hour before official launch I think) ... 39 of 75 servers are full. All I have to say is wow, that there's some demand.

Useful info here:
http://www.torstatus.net/

Also have read that EA/Blizz has been pretty aggressively tweaking per-server capacity to try to force a population balance (not necessarily a faction balance). And per-server capacity IS expected to rise after launch. SO let's hope that comes together.

It does indicate that PvP West servers are (generally) more crowded that PvP East servers ... but there looks like an even stronger trend where PvP servers are more crowded than PvE servers. Unfortunately our WoS servers is the 10th more crowded out of 75 or so ... but maybe that's our fault and people just want to hang with us?

Anyhow, it shows that our server is basically "Heavy or worse" from noon until midnight every day. So it's just badness all around.

Useful info here:
http://www.torstatus.net/

Anyhow, it shows that our server is basically "Heavy or worse" from noon until midnight every day. So it's just badness all around.

Sweet website.

I'd rather our server have some queues for the first month and be heavy after wards instead of no queues now and light. With a packed server, we'll have shorter Warzone wait times and a crazy Ilum zone come end-game.

If it doesn't let up, I expect BW will arrange guild transfers to less populated servers.

My guild is on an east coast server (which has the acronym SOAP, lulz).

When I hop on there's rarely a queue, but other guildies of mine who log in later experience a short queue of 15-30 minutes. It's going to be worse after midnight tonight though... :p

Edit: It appears that there are about 2x more eastern servers than western servers (from http://www.torstatus.net/ - nice site Gilga). That might be why you all are suffering so.

Last edited:
Back