How did we like Destruction?

Lloren

Christian Gamers Alliance Forums Administrator
For those who played Destruction over the weekend, how'd it go?

Though originally was interested in Destruction I'm leaning towards Order now after checking out the starting zones and the classes.

I played 2 Destruction classes and got one to level 5 (chosen) which was pretty good seeing as I was moving this weekend, and am still not done... however, on Friday, I played a little bit of Order because it was my first time in the game, so after equally trying both sides, I am leaning much more towards Order, however, I know what I would play if we went Destruction... My current standings (NOT FINAL): Order: 70%, Destruction: 30%, however, there is still open beta in 2 weeks... :)

I only played one career this weekend due to time limitations (the last few I have played multiple careers and done different starting areas, remember I have been in beta for a while).

PROS-
- Cool look to careers and races with armor
-Greenskin and Dark Elf really good look and feel to them on leveling track
-Never a lack for people on public quests that i saw
-Easy to find a keep we held to purchase RvR armor
-each race had a great unique feel to it
-Stronger RvR players in general, some of my pick up RvR groups where incredible

CONS-
-spell animations not as interesting
-Chaos starting area just yuckie for me
-Scenario queues too long
-Hard to find Open RvR capture points
-Over crowded at times
-Personally, careers only mildly compelling, but that is only personal
-RP's much harder to come by in lower levels (less scenarios and less cp's)

Those are off the top of my head.

I will readily admit, I was not as focused for this weekend. My attention was else where.

This is merely a quick glimpse.

I was able to play one char from each race past level 6, although I rolled up and tried a couple others for just a few levels. I like the black orc the most. The squiq herder was fun but very similar to other classes of the same type in other games (at low level at least). The only starting area that I liked was the green skin area.

There were always plenty of peeps for PQ's; sometimes too many. I think I won 1st or 2nd twice, even doing the PQ's 4-5 times in a row. It was hard to get named mobs at times due to the number of peeps working on the same quest, which will likely not be a factor a couple months after release.

RVR did seem to have more skilled folks in pug's but there's definitely more folks playing distruction so that stands to reason. That being said, I believe when we RVR'd as a group on the order side, except when we came up against a heavily geared "mythic" group, we dominated. And that was on a server with some very experienced and organized guilds-old timers guild and mongbat to name a couple.

I got a pretty good look at order so I am going to continue on the destruction side to see how it goes in tier 2. As it stands now though, I am definitely for order.

I got to try 2 different characters. Disciple of Khaine, and Magus. The game play itself was fun, thanks so much to all the great peeps that showed us "around town". The Disciple was a little challenging as a first character, having to melee to get essense which most likely would go to healing yourself because you jumped into the middle of a battle to get the essence lol. Heals seemed weak in a group setting but questing was good on your own (similar to a pally). The magus I liked....seemed simple.....but the screen where you picked your toons features (eye colour etc) had his head cut off because of the disk he was on so I was just guessing at what I looked like hehe. Can't say I found any of the female characters appealing that I looked at...so I only made male ones.

I leveled a Dwarf Engineer and a Greenskin Shaman both to level 11, and it's a toss up! The dwarf starting zone sucked a little bit, but how long are we really going to be there? 2 hours? Scenario wise I had better luck with the Order pugs. I didn't win a single scenario with destruction this weekend.

Class wise, I really enjoyed both the shaman and engineer! I love the turrets, but i missed the heals. The shaman was a blast. i like being able to dps and heal when needed. (Hmmm, kind of like my other shaman!) The engineer was straight out of TF2! Could be a ton of fun in sieges. The Shaman was a cross between a Lock and a Resto Druid in wow. Kind of a fun combo!

So bottom line, i'm not sure i care either way at this point! I'll be happy whatever we choose.

But assuming more people on any given server go Destruction than Order, would that sway our decision? IE, if we went order, we'd have a tougher time in open RVR, but the scenario queue times might be shorter, allowing for more renown rank leveling, resulting in better gear, which in the end would make us much more powerful as a guild.

Scenario wise I had better luck with the Order pugs. I didn't win a single scenario with destruction this weekend.

Same here, I never won any of my destruction scenarios, I think I did 4 or 5, but I won all my order ones (also 4 or 5)...

For me if I went in with a Redeemed group I won 80 to 90%.

If I went in without one it was 40 to 50% both ways.

I think at launch it will change a bit. Our Redeemed groups will win 90 to 100% due to the influx of people who don't know how to play.

It should be noted I play a healer and good healing makes all the difference. when playing my bright wizard I only won 20 to 25% of the time.

Goblit, keep in mind that the melee healers (Disciple/Warrior Priest) don't get their 'big' heal until level 8. Until then they just have a HoT and a small heal+HoT, so I can believe that your healing felt subpar until then. Their level 8 attack+heal makes a BIG difference in healing output.

And I've already gone on record that a melee healer is what I'm going to start out with as my main. I love them.

I had some success in scenarios as Destruction, but just as often we got rolled by Order. Regardless, when we've gone in as a guild group we've done very well. I've seen skilled players on both sides. Plus, I think an intro weekend may be deceiving as so many are just learning the basic game mechanics.

Actually, now that I think about it, probably half my wins on Destruction PUGs were in Khaine's Embrace (DE/HE tier 1 scenario), and the Destruction side was making some very fundamental strategic mistakes. In two of the scenarios nobody was guarding our flag, so I took it upon myself to guard it alone. That fact alone allowed me to either ensure we double capped or prevented Order from double capping at least 4-5 times. And that's not to say that I'm uber - it's to say that I was apparently the one guy there who'd played it enough to know how it worked. Once everyone has more experience with it, the tactical picture is going to totally change so one person can't make such a difference.

Last edited:
Destruction is a little boring in starting areas and i found that over these 3 days I found that it is hard to do anything because all the servers were lag central in the Destruction zones
Tried Squig Herder
Chosen
and Black orc
the Squig herder was my favorite for Destruction
Order hmm less lag in areas
find story funer...
I kno funer is not a word...
tried Shadow Warrior really like them

After playing both Order and Destruction, I have to go with Order. Unlike a couple of others, I had an absolute blast in the Dwarf starting area and enjoyed the storyline. Hence I am going either Ironbreaker or Runepriest if we go Order.

I just never really got the feel for Destruction gameplay wise. So many people were playing Chaos that PQ's in the beginning were pretty much useless. How long for those of us involved did it take ot kill our 8 spearmen do to population overflow? 10-15 minutes maybe?

Onto Scenarios, I lost every Destruction scenario, until I got into a Redeemed group. Then I won them. I notcied that our healers did an exceptional job healing in Open and Scenario based RvR. Only times I died was when I was outta LoS for the heals or getting 2-shotted by a bugged Hero.

I think we should go which ever side we feel is right and have the most fun playing. Destruction may have more people and do better in an open zerg, but having people on Vent, and being organized will help a ton. We can take a Keep with enough organized people. Plus I think that Destruction will draw a certain crowd that likes to look at their DE Witch Elves/Sorceresses lack of clothes.

I will go whereever the guild goes, but as of now my heart lies with Order.

I only got to play a little while on Friday. I first tried a Dark Elf sorc and really didn't care for the starting area or the feel of the race. I then leveled up a shaman and I really like the humor and art for the Green Skins but I didn't care for the class that much.

I also tried a Bright Wizard and the starting zone seemed pretty nice and I think I would lean toward order over destruction.

There are a few things I did not like...

Uneven populations of the two sides - It can skew other game aspects (RVR, PQ's Scenarios etc). I am sure this problem will even it self out over time as the game goes live and beyond.

Actually, that's all of the cons I had for Destruction so far.

The Chaos starting area is really the only one I liked =\, so I played a Zealot, Marauder and got a Magus to level 11.

I thoroughly enjoyed playing my Magus to level 11, and I believe I would enjoy leveling a Zealot and a Marauder as well.

Order classes I would consider playing:

• Bright Wizard - Meh, only a DPSer, can hit hard but is a glass cannon.
  • Warrior Priest - Does mediocre damage and does mediocre healing, you have to attack to get "healing power", another thing I am not sure of.
  • Rune Priest - I like the idea of DPSing and healing without having to attack... but I hate Dwarfs and their starting zone is a giant headache!
Destruction classes I would consider playing:

• Magus - Does Meh DPS but uses pets to get an edge on the opponents.
  • Disciple of Khaine - Again, you have to attack to get healing power, but DoK can out DPS the Warrior Priest, can dual wield.
  • Zealot - Can DPS and heal with out having to attack, but this is not a Dwarf! And their starting zone does not need to be redone.
  • Marauder - There is no opposing Order class to this class. It is not the Witch Hunter because its opposite is the Witch Elf. He can do good to very good DPS and he can hold his own against a Champion mob (I found out the hard way).

Last edited:
For those who played Destruction over the weekend, how'd it go?

Though originally was interested in Destruction I'm leaning towards Order now after checking out the starting zones and the classes.

I played fairly equally on both sides during the past two weeks. I really enjoyed all the classes I played on Order (except the SW). When I switched to Destro I was able to pick up fairly quickly their mirrors on Order side. By mirrors I mean, for example, the shaman plays like the archmage.

Not all characters had mirrors, which I liked. However the only class I could really get into on Destro side was the Witch Elf. I can't play her because the lack of clothing could easily cause me to stumble into something worse.

So far I am still tied to Order as my side of choice. I felt the classes played more smoothly mechanically. I enjoyed the Order storyline better. I liked the fact that you always had a hotspot to take because Destro typically outnumbered Order about 60% to 40%. I like to be the underdog. I like to role-play as a character seeking justice and righteousness...etc.

I am still excited about our schedule to play Order this week then Destro again the following, but I can say right now my vote is at about 85% for Order 15% for Destro.

• Marauder - There is no opposing Order class to this class. It is not the Witch Hunter because its opposite is the Witch Elf.

Kinda, sorta. Technically the mirror to the Marauder is the Shadow Warrior. The Marauder has 3 mutations he can switch between which opens up different skills to use with each. The Shadow Warrior has 3 stances he can switch between which open up different skills with each. However, the Marauder is melee and the SW is ranged (mostly). You've also got the Squig Herder and the White Lion which are the primary pet classes for each side. The SH is ranged and the WL is melee. I kind of see these classes as almost a 4-way mirror. You trade mechanics and melee/ranged between the factions.

Personally I think the Marauder and White Lion are tons of fun to play, and the SW and SH were both 'sorta fun, but ehhh...' for me. That's kind of surprising to me, as I usually prefer ranged over melee.

Back