How to play Xenoblade Chronicles if you live in America

Tek7

CGA President, Tribe of Judah Founder & President
Staff member
Oh snap! Joystiq just posted a tutorial on how to softmod your Wii to play import games.

I softmodded my Wii years ago and ripped all my games to a USB drive. I now play all games from the USB drive and have bootmii and Priiloader installed for system protection. Considering my Wii is ready, I'm seriously considering importing Xenoblade.

My own experience aside, I find it quite interesting that a major video game blog is posting instructions on how to softmod a console. I shouldn't be surprised given how fed up former Nintendo fans (myself included) are with NoA, but I'm still surprised that Joystiq's lawyer team let this article ever see the light of day.

I don't see any legal or moral qualms with softmodding a Wii. Homebrew =/= piracy and running the games I purchased from a USB drive extends the life of my console. (My DVD drive was getting a tad louder than I was comfortable with shortly before I started using a USB backup loader.)

Okay I am thinking of modding our Wii...BUT can it still be used as normal. Because my 3 and 4 year old love playing there games still on it, and I just wanted to make sure. I am not to worried about bricking it because it is pretty self explanatory.

My softmodded Wii allows me to boot into the official Wii front end just fine. So yes. It can still be used normally.

Thanks I didn't want my kiddos to be confused on starting it up :)
You might have to teach them to hit a button to get there... but it's literally just tapping reset after turning the power on for me.

...to get into the standard system menu you're already familiar with, I mean.

Nope. Never installed it. Didn't have a USB drive to make it worthwhile. I just play the retail import copy of Tatsunoko vs. Capcom I bought. Joystiq article's guidelines not workin'?

Okay one problem I seem to have to unplug my usb hard drive every time before my Homebrew apps will show up.

I load my apps from a SD card and I have my Wii set to autoboot to Configurable USB Loader (thanks to Priiloader), so I wouldn't know how to help. :(

I used Priiloader hacks to skip the health warning screen, too. Cool stuff.

Actually I realized I can run everything from the usb drive instead of the sd card...so no SD just the Usb...that is why when both were in it wouldn't pull anything up. I just copied everything over to my USB drive and it works great. Now I just need to figure out how to get those channels to show up on my main screen ( the Wii main screen). :)

I gotta say I am loving this...although I never thought I would ever be able to soft mod anything LOL

Are there any other imports I should look into? I have to stick with the EU ones since I can't read much else but English.

Last edited:
I soft modded my original xbox back in the day. Now my nintendo is soft modded :D. Thanks for the post and i got my xenoblade on the way. Pretty excited.

I soft modded my original xbox back in the day. Now my nintendo is soft modded :D. Thanks for the post and i got my xenoblade on the way. Pretty excited.
Based on what I've read, you have good reason to be. Xenoblade looks like it's everything JRPG fans have been asking for for a long time. Having played Soma Bringer, I can assure you that Monolith Soft excels in designing games with features that make you ask, "Now why doesn't every RPG have that?"

After waiting half a month, my xenoblade finally arrived. Time to get down :D.
Excellent! If the reviews (and my and my wife's playthrough of Soma Bringer, also developed by Monolith Soft) are any indication, you're in for a great time. :)

Quoting rev. Jim's post from the new 3ds owner :) thread:
Perhaps we can start a new thread, because I will have some questions, like if I install the needed Homebrew, would I be in danger of being banned from online play or brick my Wii?
I recommend checking the article link in the OP on how to softmod the Wii, then download a USB loader (I used to use WiiFlow, I now use Configurable USB Loader).

And no, you're not in any danger of getting banned from online play. There's always the risk of bricking your Wii, but the risk is significantly low. In fact, there are homebrew applications to help prevent bricking your Wii, such as bootmii and Priiloader. If a stock Wii goes belly up, you don't have much recourse. If a softmodded Wii crashes and burns AND you have a bootmii NAND (flash memory) backup, you could restore a working backup and carry on.

So here's an update:

I did the mod... took me longer than expected because the original guide I was following seemed to assume that the reader knew what they were doing, and not a complete newbie such as I am to all of this.

After about four hours (not joking!) I had my Wii modded, with Priiloader and Bootmii and wiiflow and cfg-loader installed. I felt good and started copying games only to find out that they would not start-up from the drive because I did not have any IOS's installed.

So I went searching for a guide to follow that tells me how to install IOS's and found one... and at this point I was pretty tired, and didn't even think twice when a step in the guide told me to format my sdcard.

So long story short... my games are on my hard-drive and now they load properly, but Bootmii and my original NAND backup are now gone, along with Priiloader. I'm not quite sure how to make another backup without BootMii, and I'm not sure how to get BootMii or Priiloader back without doing all of this over again.

Although I still am happy with the results overall, Wiiflow is nice
Cfg-loader's background music is annoying after 20 minutes :p

Neither of the loaders work with my Wii Remote Plus's so I had to go fishing for an old remote to work the menu.

(P.S.) Mario Kart gives a bunch of Read Error's when I tried to copy it over, so I know for a fact the disc is ruined. I am thinking of renting a disc just to copy it over at this point.

Last edited:
It's been a long time since I installed Priiloader and bootmii, but I think you may just be able to copy a set of files to your SD card for each to re-enable those utilities. I'd recommend giving it a shot and creating a new NAND backup if only for peace of mind.

Bummer to hear about your MKWii disc. :(

And yes, figuring out which IOS files to load can be a royal pain. I'll try to remember to check which versions of which IOS files I have installed and copy/paste them to a reply.

Okay, here's my SysCheck report:

IOS9 (rev 778): No Patches
IOS11 (rev 10): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, Flash Access, NAND Access
IOS12 (rev 269): No Patches
IOS13 (rev 273): No Patches
IOS14 (rev 520): No Patches
IOS15 (rev 523): No Patches
IOS16 (rev 257): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, Flash Access, NAND Access
IOS17 (rev 775): No Patches
IOS20 (rev 12): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, Flash Access, NAND Access
IOS21 (rev 782): No Patches
IOS22 (rev 1037): No Patches
IOS28 (rev 1550): No Patches
IOS30 (rev 1040): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, Flash Access, NAND Access
IOS31 (rev 3349): No Patches
IOS33 (rev 3091): No Patches
IOS34 (rev 3348): No Patches
IOS35 (rev 3349): No Patches
IOS36 (rev 3351): No Patches
IOS37 (rev 3869): No Patches
IOS38 (rev 3867): No Patches
IOS53 (rev 5406): No Patches
IOS55 (rev 5406): No Patches
IOS56 (rev 5662): No Patches
IOS57 (rev 5661): No Patches
IOS58 (rev 6175): USB 2.0
IOS60 (rev 6174): Trucha Bug
IOS61 (rev 5405): No Patches
IOS70 (rev 6687): Trucha Bug
IOS202[60] (rev 65535, Info: hermes-v5.1): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS222[38] (rev 4, Info: hermes-v4.0): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS223[38] (rev 4, Info: hermes-v4.0): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS224[57] (rev 65535, Info: hermes-v5.1): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS236[36] (rev 65535, Info: rev 3351): Trucha Bug, ES Identify, NAND Access
IOS247[37] (rev 20, Info: rev 20): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS248[56] (rev 20, Info: rev 20): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS249[57] (rev 21006, Info: d2x-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS250[57] (rev 21006, Info: d2x-v6): Trucha Bug, NAND Access, USB 2.0
IOS254 (rev 65281): BootMii
BC v2
MIOS v5

Report generated on 2012/13/06.

Hope this helps!

Back