I Can Haz Wii U?

Kendrik

Staff member
My brother and I went in the the cost of a Wii U and games yesterday. Haven't gotten to play with it a ton yet, but I'm really liking what I'm seeing so far... other than system load screens and updates; those are obnoxiously slow.

Currently have Nintendo Land, New Super Mario Bros. U, Avengers: Battle for Earth, and Call of Duty: Black Ops 2.

Played the most Mario so far. It's awesome. it's Mario, so that seems almost a given. Makes me think a lot of both Mario 3 and Mario World. That's a good thing. Gamepad support is interesting with the ability for another play to add temporary platforms, intervene with enemies, activate powerups, and so on. Not necessarily a game-changer, but it does open up new opportunities and create another way for drop-in multiplayer support.

Played a few rounds of Avengers. It reminds me of of the Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi series. The game isn't as fast as I might like, but it is a fun take on gesture-based combat. The Gamepad is used well here, too, allowing two people to play on full screens rather than dealing with a vertical split. Use on the Gamepad switches from gesture-based to trackpad-based inputs, allowing play in more spatially-restrictive environments or for those not willing or able to go with the more involved motion-controls of a Remote and Nunchuck. Either control method works pretty well, and it's a decent game. Not a killer app, but a nice example of how the Gamepad can be used to offer more options, especially with respect to multiplayer.

Only played a little Nintendo Land, but, like Wii Sports/Resort before it, it looks like it's gonna show off the new hardware functionality in a great way. I played the shuriken-throwing game, and it reminds me a lot of the light-gun arcade games of old. Using the gamepad as a pointing device and sliding across the screen to throw the shurikens at the enemies is actually really fun. I'll report back once i play more of the games, but it looks solid so far for sure.

And I just booted up Blops, so I'll see how that goes. I'm super-excited about it, though. I actually prefer Remote+Nunchuck for FPS controls. I find it the most intuitive method, even preferring it over keyboard+mouse. Being able to play on the Gamepad (including local multiplayer without screen splitting) is exciting, too.

So far, I'm quite happy with the system and its games. I just hope the strong third-party support continues since that was what kept the Wii from getting more affection from me. With Mass Effect, Batman, Darksiders, Call of Duty, Tekken, and a bunch of other huge games already on the system, though, I think it's got a shot.

And with Monster Hunter and Dragon Quest X on the way, I know it'll have me content.

...now if only there would be a Pokemon Z game on Wii U. >.>

Okay. Played just a little Blops, but the use of the Gamepad was done well. Playing dual-analog still ain't my cup of tea, but having mission mission objectives on the Gamepad screen, along with instant access to control settings (on the fly adjustment to sensitivity? Sweet). The placement of the sticks is nice, too; I've wondered for years why this layout wasn't more readily available. I haven't played multiplayer yet, but it sounds like it uses the Gamepad quite well for added functionality. Sweet.

Last edited:
Glad to hear it's fun. I'm more than set for gaming hardware, but I hope Nintendo finds success with the Wii U.

I still <3 the Wii and hope that Nintendo shows more love to JRPG fans this time around (instead of having to be beaten about the head with a fan campaign to release what is arguably the best JRPG in years--Xenoblade Chronicles--and then only selling the game at GameStop and the Nintendo online store).

EDIT: Also, you're now our official Wii U subject matter expert, Kendrik. :)

Great post Kenny! I got mine from work release day and so for Christmas we had a ton of buy two get one free so....
I have:
Assassins creed 3
Mass effect 3
Batman: Arkham City
Super Mario wii u
Scribblenauts unlimited
Sonic all-star racing transformed
Trine 2:directors cut (e-shop)
Uuummm and tons more on the way in march including monoliths elusion to a new xenoblade :). And I have monster hunter 3 ultimate and Lego city undercover reserved at work. :)

Last edited:
Honestly, I'd say that the Wii U has had one of the strongest launch lineups in console history. Only problem is that most of the excellent games from that lineup were already available elsewhere. D'oh! Still, glad to see such strong opening support from third-party publishers.

Cannot wait for Monster Hunter or Monolith's new game. Should probably still buy a copy of Xenoblade between now and then, though. I hear nothing but the highest praise for it.

New Super Mario Bros. U continues to make me happy. It's funny that, despite all the evolution seen in the game development, this throwback to game designs two decades old still ends up being one of the most genuinely fun and enjoyable experiences around in my book. :)

I think the ports of some of the already released games was to show just part of its capability. Honestly Trine 2 truly shines as showing the beauty of what the wii u is and they say they haven't even scratched the surface of its potential as a system.

Also the best port so far in my opinion is Batman:AC. It just shows off the gamepad and wii u's capabilities the best. Plus the Zombi U demo was amazing but scared me to death.

Oh. From what I've seen and played of the ports, I'm very glad the games were ported. I can imagine Arkham being even better with the way it implements the GamePad. :)

And Zombi U demo... good gravy. That game was scary. I wanna pick it up once the price drops. It felt more like old school Silent Hill than Miscellaneous Zombie Game 5: Find More Ammo! Edition. I haven't even made it a half an hour into Silent Hill because of how scary it is... such great use of atmosphere. Zombi U felt like it had that excellent use of atmosphere. :D

My brother managed to score a clearanced copy of Tekken Tag Tournament 2 for $18 last night. So legit.

Game's a lot of fun. I think I enjoy Tag more than its main series counterparts. The part where you get Nintendo costumes and Mushroom Battle mode (which is really fun, though not really tournament worthy) in the Wii U version makes it even better.

The on-screen data for the Gamepad seems really cool, but I haven't delved into it yet.

TTT2 Wii U Edition gets my thumbs up of approval.

Just wrapped up AC3. Only about 80% complete. But I began to realize I would never finish the story mode if I didn't stop doing all the side quests. Lol The story to me was pretty good. The gameplay was well developed, now to per-order AC4: the black flag. :) Of course Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate is my next big game along with Lego city undercover.

Back