I...uhhh...WUT!?!

My first thought was, will it have a keyboard?
It better!

...or, better yet, universal support for USB keyboard/mouse. :D

Bonus points if it supports other third-party USB devices, too... like my arcade sticks. :D

Last edited:
You guys do realize that they won't release it until 2060 or so? XD
seriously though, why? I thought that the people who played consoles were already happy with what Xbox and Sony have been supplying. Also, I feel kinda jealous... as a PC gamer I felt like I was Valve's favorite child and now they've gone and adopted an Indonesian console baby. :'(

You guys do realize that they won't release it until 2060 or so? XD
seriously though, why? I thought that the people who played consoles were already happy with what Xbox and Sony have been supplying. Also, I feel kinda jealous... as a PC gamer I felt like I was Valve's favorite child and now they've gone and adopted an Indonesian console baby. :'(

I heard it comes pre-loaded with Half Life 3.

Hmm, before everyone jumps on the bandwagon for this, please take note of one thing: "...Steam-driven platform..."

To me this basically means no physical game media (i.e. no Discs) and all downloadable content. That is a no-no for me.

Most of the games I obtain come from trades with other gamers or re-selling, which can not be done with Steam titles. Steam is basically just a DRM-Platform, which also means I can't take my games to a friend's house for a party.

It also means that downloading large games will become extremely costly if your ISP has a bandwidth limit per month.

I will not be buying one of these.

Last edited:
Hmm, before everyone jumps on the bandwagon for this, please take note of one thing: "...Steam-driven platform..."

To me this basically means no physical game media (i.e. no Discs) and all downloadable content. That is a no-no for me.

And that's a total yes for me. I have hated physical copies of software from the early days of floppies and blowing out nintendo cartridges. My one wish growing up was 'I wish there was a way to not have to use these stupid things...' and lo and behold Steam came along. I haven't bought a physical copy of a PC game in years now...

[edit: I take that back. I have bought physical copies of PC games... I have a few of those ubersize collectors editions because I'm a huge sucker for goodies like skyrim dragons and maps and sith lords and suchlike. Not something I'll buy and intend to trade out later on either... ]

Last edited:
See, I'm totes with Jim when it comes to disdain for tethered digital games meaning no second hand market. If it were possible to sell or otherwise trade digital games, I'd still be like "but I like having the game and box and manual and stuuuuuuuuff," but I'd play ball with far fewer complaints.

That said, given my luck with Steam and other download-only sales, I can live with not being able to resale games when I'm paying so little for 'em. Still, the thought of paying $50 for a game I can't trade out is definitely an understandable issue to have with a "Steam-driven platform."

All that to say, I'm still intrigued and looking forward to more info.

Simple, like XBL, make the DLC/Digital games have transferable licenses. Steam no does this? M$ ahead of steam...creepy.

Okay... it's storytime: :)

Once upon a time: There was a man named "Jimmy"... Jimmy was very much into media. Music, TV series, and Movies, he bought them all. He would buy new records, and cassette tapes, VHS, CD's and DVD's every chance he got.

One day Jimmy started to feel as Elader Arkon does... Jimmy didn't like that his collection was starting to take up so much room, so Jimmy went looking for a solution.

Jimmy crossed mountains and hills, and even navigated a treacherous swamp. After wrestling with a monstorous crocodile, and slaying a dragon, Jimmy found his solution.

Jimmy found that he could purchase and download music with no physical media from a wonderous land called the "MSN Music Store".

Jimmy also found that he could purchase and download TV and movies from an amazing place called Amazon Unbox (before it came Video On Demand).

Jimmy was happy, very happy.

But alas all did not remain pleasant in Jimmy's world for very long, for Jimmy soon learned that without any physical media, Jimmy not only could not bring his media with him to other devices, but also Jimmy soon learned the horrors of nightmarish DRM.

For the MSN music store soon went belly-up... and Jimmy soon found that his purchased music no longer had a valid license.

Jimmy also discovered that his Amazon Unbox videos were chained quite securely to his original PC, and Jimmy could not play them back on his shiny new laptop and was forced to keep his old sluggish one to play his purchase videos.

Jimmy discovered that when his old laptop no longer functioned, that his purchased media went goodbye with it.

Jimmy now enjoys his old records, cassettes, VHS and DVDs which still work fine without licenses, and Jimmy can take them wherever he wants without restrictions. Jimmy can also sell and trade them when he chooses withut being labelled as a "hacker" or "pirate".

Jimmy has learned his lesson good and will not fall into the same trap again with his console games.

The end.

Last edited:
*/Story/*

OUCH!

Yeah, DRM is evil, which is why it almost doesn't exist anymore. Like I said, Xbox arcade games, on-demand games, and DLC are transferable. Just like handing someone the game. I am really surprised Steam has not picked this up. However, I don't complain about steam much, since I rarely pay of $5 per game thanks to their awesome sales.

See, I'm big on buying used and cheap, I am rather poor so buying new games is a 1-2 times a year event. And I have found comfort in Steam and my Xbox 360. I rarely pay over $5-$10 for games.

Last edited:
Why do people tolerate Steam DRM and the lack of physical media? Simple. Because crazy good sales, that's why. There have been several PSN titles I've skipped entirely, even though I'd prefer to play the game on my PS3, because the Steam version will go on sale for 66% or 75% off while PSN users without PS Plus get 30% off sales once in a blue moon.

And why buy a Valve-branded console when I can build a media center PC capable of running most modern games and have a custom-built box attached to my TV that serves two purposes?

But for the 95% of people who aren't interested in building a custom box, yes, this could be huge--especially if they focus on making something awesome instead of packing some deal-breaking proprietary nonsense in to otherwise amazing hardware (yes, I am talking about the Vita).

Back