IllHoof

This one looks pretty tight..

Placement

MT - The only special placement is the tank, he needs to tank Illhoof right next to the middle of the room near the sacrifice spot so that when someone gets sacrificed DPS can just turn around and own the shackles.

Warlock - The warlock should stand about to the left of where Illhoof is tanked, this is so his AoE is hitting both imp spawn points to pull aggro, hits Illhoof and his elite imp, AND hits the shackles when they appear.

Healers/Casters - Just stand on top of the warlock so any loose imps can be hit by his AoE and hopefully aggro on him.Hunters - Should stay at close to max range on Illhoof so that when the shackles spawn you can DPS them with your good bow DPS and not crappy melee DPS.

The Encounter
The pull should be done by the MT running into the roof and grabbing aggro on Illhoof AND his elite imp. He will be taking a good amount of damage so all healers except the one assigned to healing the warlock should focus on healing him. Illhoof summons imps throughout the fight and has an elite imp pet which can be killed throughout the fight as well. If you kill the imp Illhoof takes a 25% increase damage taken debuff which can help on DPS for Illhoof. The pet can just be killed through moves such as blade flurry, cleave, and the warlocks AoE since he is tanked by the MT. He does not need to be focused. Every so often he shackles a random player and that player's shackles need to be killed IMMEDIATELY as it not only is a lot of damage a second to the player, but it heals Illhoof too. Also you need an offtank gaining aggro on Illhoof because your MT can be shackled and you don't want him loose on the raid.

In order to AoE down the imps just have a Paladin in with a warlock with concentration Aura on. Then have one person focus on healing the warlock while he does nothing but hellfire close to illhoof and will get aggro on all the imps. This keeps minimal imps up at a time, DPSes Illhoof's pet, the demon chains, and Illhoof himself. Also fel armor increases their healing received by 25%, throw in a tree form druid and that is another ~100 healing. The treeform druid can then just HoT up the warlock and assist the other healers on healing the MT and healing the shackled target.

DPS needs to be FAST on this fight, so as soon as the tank has aggro go all out DPS on Illhoof and like I said his pet can be killed throughout the encounter by using AoE type moves. I would not recommend trying to focus down the pet as it takes away DPS from Illhoof. His elite imp doesn't have that much health and his lesser imp adds have almost none either, just got to make sure you can keep most of them on the warlock. He also has a debuff which increases fire damage taken by 500...which can HURT due to his imp adds doing nothing but fire damage, but with the increased heals to the warlock and consant death of imps, it shouldn't be an issue. This should be a bit of a gear check for DPS and Healers but a rinse and repeat fight. (and tanks..)

KEYNOTES

Don't really focus on his pet imp, just DPS it with AoE style moves throughout the encounter.
Make a macro that says /target Demon the shackles are called demon shackles and as soon as someone gets sacrificed you can use that macro you immediately start DPSing those down.
The shackles need to be killed IMMEDIATELY as they heal Illhoof by a substantial amount and can kill people VERY quickly, the person who gets shackled should call it out so he gets immediate attention.
Healers keep tons of HoTs on the warlock as he will take most of the healing, I would assign everyone to healing the MT and 1 person to focus on healing the warlock, if the warlock gets the flame debuff and the 1 healer is having trouble ask for temporary help from 1 other healer.
You need your main tank to build aggro on both Illhoof and his Elite imp so give him a few seconds before unloading and AoEing.
Without a Paladin and a Warlock this fight will be really tough because you won't be able to have the pally put on Concentration Aura which allows your warlock to cast hellfire the entire fight and your healers won't be interrupted either, Have the warlock stand in the middle of the room so his hellfire is doing DPS to Illhoof, his imp, the shackles, and his adds. You should have very little trouble with adds if you do this.

Our OT can also help hold aggro on Illhoof's add, while building threat on Illhoof to, incase MT gets sacrificed.

Last edited:
SOunds like a fun fight... I did however think that the MT can't be Sacrificed I thought he didn't do it to his first agro target. This might not be true, but hey I know the few people I've talked to about it said they've never seen the tank get Saced.

Well, keep in mind that online strats are probably not 100 % accurate (since blizz changes things from time to time) So you may be right Ben. I didn't know a pally could bubble out of it, until last night when I did.

so Miker..are you planning to bring in Angus?

A priest can bubble a lock so hellfire causes no dmg to the lock,
A druid has far superior HoT to keep the lock up which one would we choose?

Sounds do-able...we had him down to 9% twice and with a bit of a faster reaction to shackles he won't get healed and things should be fine.

Two things I noticed:

Adam was killed by shackles every time he got shackled yet the others were fine on shackles until Adam was dead..does that mean that he had a faster reaction? more dps? is there something we could do to fine tune taking down the shackles? (bubbling got Danny out of it..the guide says Ice Block works for mages..does stoneform work?)

From a healer perspective I think that mana will be a challenge (although we've seemed to do just fine on the curator now that we know the fight). In ZG we used to literally rotate so that one healer could get their full mana regen because they weren't casting (and wanding with SoJ to get more mana). How does this work with a pally healer or druid healer?

Last edited:
Something else to consider - if you can spend 10-12 seconds out of combat, the major dreamless sleep potion gives 3600 health and 3600 mana, which is more than your super mana potion. I've been hearing that there are several places that the sleep potions are more useful; but you have to be careful, taking damage breaks the effect (and it's dispellable).. so only use it when you don't have agro

So now the age old question of keeping the healers with high amounts of mana. I know on this fight, (after talking to my bro who is playing Valk) that Valk does not run into a mana problem main healing the lock here. He said they put a priest on the lock because of mana regen and a pally on the MT. He said it's an all or nothing fight you either end with close to full mana or you run out and it's a wipe.

But I have only done this fight once and I didn't run out of mana I know that I used 3 super mana pots and a SF and got an inter in the middle of the fight. I know that with the group you guys have you have 3 healers so my suggestion would be to have the druid save the inter for the pally and have the priest and pally start healing, then go pally and druid then pally and priest when the priest regens. but it's your call just my suggestion from what I've been told be my brother.

Mana is always a bit more of an issue with new fights. I know it is for me, because I have a slow cast 2.5 (for the most part) and I can't afford to get behind much. And I don't know how hard the boss is going to hit our tank. So I tend to over-heal more until I get comfortable with the dmg out-put. What works for Holly, doesn't work for Lorin. Also, in general, we were new to that fight, of course...and sort of learning a few things on the fly..(and still we almost took him and many of us did not use pot buffs)

I think there are different types of healing rotations. We have been doing this a bit..by delegating greater and lesser healing jobs between the healers (Trying to cut down on over-healing) and usually one healer is given a mana conservation, lesser healing duty to start. A good example is Attuman, I started judging wisdom on that fight, healing very very little. (And really..2 healers could prob do this fight now..with the improvment in everyone's gear)

He said they put a priest on the lock because of mana regen and a pally on the MT

Yes.

We have: Priest/pally/druid and if Ron is there next time 2 inervates. Also a possible pally tank who might be able to judge wisdom..on something..

If we tried a more dedicated healing rotation it would probably work like this: I'd need someone with group heals healing with me. I probably will have no time to cast heals on anyone other than the MT. That leaves the OT, the Lock and the sacrificed ppl (Who might need a few heals) So I'd think Wend would have to deal with that while PWS the lock. The bulk of our mana would be burned on 2-3 ppl (hopefully) That would leave renee to focus on mana conservation and throw only a few heals..if needed on the sacrificed ppl...and from time to time throw a few HOT's on the tank If I call for it. We would also have, possibly, 2 inervates if either of us goes oom.

Yeah, sounds like you and I are on the same page on how that fight should be done with a group like yours, but then again paper is a lot different then Action. I look forward to hearing how it goes!

Tuesday's run will be Moroes, Opera, Curator and Ilhoof. For Ilhoof Angus will be there and a suggestion would be is have a Druid do HoTs while the priest shields. But that will take a little bit more coordination. Also I see now why SoC is not that great for the fight, it is a little mana intensive and when you have 3 - 4 imps on you there is almost no way to get another SoC off.

Last edited by a moderator:
The push-back on SoC isn't too bad. If you want to throw a pali in your group with Conc aura up, it's that much easier. Generally when I'm doing Ilhoof I'll call out for one round of mage AoE if I notice my seed hitting more than 8 or 9 targets. It's important to remember that the big imp puts a debuff on you that increase your fire damage from the imps from around 100 a hit to around 600 a hit. Nasty. So make sure the OT has agro on the big imp before you start SoC. Dampen magic is your friend. Moderate fire resistence (90ish) didn't seem to do hardly anything. Didn't seem worth stacking FR.

The key to the fight is breaking the demonic chains SUPER FAST and healers targeting the person in chains SUPER FAST.

I MAY be able to get on a little late if you still need the tanking form Tierc, It won't be until about 8:15 or 8:30 server time though. Let me know.

HoTs wont be a problem.. I have to use them there anyways because of how much im getting hit by imps.. its almost impossible at points to use my 3 sec heal unless i use NS :)

I basically only HoT through maiden in tree and she is cake now..

also my new robe (I know youre all tired of hearing about it blah blah LOL) my mana regen is MUCH better.. plus the 145 spirit adds 36 healing (in tree form) on top of the extra heals the robe itself has (over my last robe) and the added int. Ive noticed not 1/3 the mana pots being used.. in some fights ive not used any (esp if i hit inny right after it procs) :) ~ for druids 145 spi = 36 mp5 in combat.. nice!! ~

long story short.. no problem to use tree form there.

we could have had him last time :) we will get him tonight!

Renee!!!! I was just looking at you in the Armory cause we haven't had our healing + battle in a while... I'd love to say you have great gear, but you're wearing all your DPS stuff. anyway, Hope this finds you well.

Tonights run will start off with Attuemen. Then we will wonder up to Maiden and Ilhoof.

For those wondering why we are doing optional bosses like Maiden and Ilhoof, the reason is healing gear. They both have some good gear.

Also for Ilhoof tonight I have a couple of strategies to try. I will go over them when we get there.

Ah, 9% is close..its because you were missing my 5% buff in bear form and my all around uberness :)

I WILL be home Tuesday probably near 7. I may try coming to karaz :) I have no GC from where I am now to sign up so I would appreciate the RL getting the notice. If I dont make it tuesday you will see me the other nights. Awesomeness though. My first few days in PA my laptop was working with dialup..then it decided it didnt want to connect to my phone internet or dialup anymore, only wireless (and making dialup wireless is rather silly YA!) For whatever reason, both my cellphone and my parents dialup dial into my computer passwords are verified..etc etc, just as the browser is about to open it disconnects entirely. :) who loves Vista..not me.

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=112673130&sid=1&pageNo=1
And interesting discussion on this fight by those who have it down. It's worth the time to read.

"
Spell description Seed of Corruption---- Imbeds a demon seed in the enemy target, causing 1044 Shadow damage over 18 sec. When the target takes 1044 total damage or dies, the seed will inflict 1110 to 1290 Shadow damage to all other enemies within 15 yards of the target. Only one Corruption spell per Warlock can be active on any one target This is why the locks spam SoC on Illhoof and not the imps.... Illhoof is a big target to click and you better be able to generate 1044 damage per second on him "
"Q u o t e:
the imps overwhelm
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should never happen. The warlock should be spamming SoC on the current main target (Illhoof or Kil'rek) so that the seeds go off instantly. A paladin with concentration aura, as well as PW:S when it is available, will help keep the casts from being interrupted.

Only when the imps get out of control should he run into the middle of the pack and hellfire. If your healers keep him up, this should take down the imps almost immediately. If it does not, then you're doing something wrong."

There are many ways that work to kill him. Just a few tips from my experience killing him for a couple months:

Dampen magic on the AoEr and healers. Literally halves the damage of the imp fireballs, and they should be really the only people getting hit by them.

We use a warlock doing SoC on illhoof to aoe, since we don't usually have one specced for intensity to hellfire. Nether protection makes it easier not because it lessens damage (the imps just switch to healers when the lock goes immune) but because it prevents interrupts, letting them spam SoC freely and quickly killing the imps. But even it isn't necessary. Just have the warlock keep trying to cast SoC and eventually it will go off. A mage should be on standby if the number of imps starts getting out of hand. Conc aura or earth shield on the lock helps.

One tank. Tank both krilek and illhoof, putting just enough threat on the imp to hold him from the healers and warlock aoe. This gives you 6 dps instead of 5.

Dps on illhoof, watching threat carefully at the start. Krilek will die every couple minutes from AOE anyway. It is not mathematically worthwhile to kill krilek directly. The damage bonus is too small.

Mortal strike or wound poison on illhoof the whole time. This is easy if you are focusing on illhoof and not krilek.

A /target demon macro for all dps makes a very large difference. With all the imps it is often very difficult to manually target the chains with your mouse.

Strong melee dps makes this fight much easier. The chains die in just a few seconds. We usually have enh sham, combat rogue, and fury war or feral druid (the OT for other fights).

Healers ABSOLUTELY NEED to be aware of a sacrifice and not let that person die. Get a mod that warns you. Chug major shadow protection pots if you are having a really hard time with it, but casters/healers will probably need their pot cooldown for super manas.

As usual, a shadow priest for the mages/healers will make mana concerns minor.

IMO, the fight is a dps check and a reaction check. Kill the chains fast and don't let anyone die to them and it's easy.

think our guilds biggest turn around on this fight (we took him down on our 3rd attempt ... first was almost an immediate wipe due to healers being torn to shreds by chains) was to have your MT healer dedicated to calling chains. Not everyone is reading the raid warningings that are being poped around on your screen so what I was doing (since I was dedicated to being the FoL spammer on the tank) was watch for Illhoof to switch up his target. The second his target left the MT, I knew he was targeting for chains. This was helpful for two reasons. First, it let the healers know who they need to know focus heals on to keep them alive and it also let the other raid DPS'ers know the chains were going up and they needed to target them. Once we got that fixed, he was downed with ease. I'll also second making sure to have good positioning on illhoof and the lock. The SoC should be going on illhoof and blowing up the imps around him. Our guild also read a strat that said to seed the imps and that was a miserable failior.
We may try a different heal strat next time and see if that makes a difference..I believe Wend may have slightly better regen than I do, plus a host of various types of heals..She will be healing the MT and shielding the lock.. I'm still thinking through the role myself and Renee will play.. One of us will be on the lock, the other on the group. Perhaps my pally will take the group and use small flash heals to buy a little time for the sacrificed person.., or Renee can HOT them..we willl see.. His pet doesn't dish out much dmg..at all.. I read even a pet can tank it. I also read using target of target on Illhoof will let the healer of the sacrificed person know a head of time who to throw a HOT or heal on.

I think the main weak link is our speed in dealing with the chains. This fight is somewhat like the curator fight..Replace the chains with the curator adds. We need the dps and targeting speed ftw. Interestingly some of the raid groups having problems with this fight have killed prince..already..Which makes it more likely it's a matter of good strat/recation time over our gear..

Last edited:
Interesting comment by one of the folks regarding who should be getting hit by the fireballs. I was targetted 2 of the 3 attempts almost the whole fight being shot by an imp.

Before I read the rest of the posts here, just a tanking line up for next week. I have just heard/read that Daire will be back for at least one day next week. With that being said there is going to be a slight tanking change then.

Tuesday tanks will be Rengeof and Rhys while Thursday we welcome back Daire into the line up and will welcome Guilo to come and try out Kara. The following week I am looking forward to normal tankage.

K, I think things are starting to fall in place and am happy to have seen the posts above. I have some new strategies for next week and am interested in seeing if they work.

Last edited:
Back