I'm Published!

Tekton

Hi all,

I had an article published in a magazine aimed at video game developers about being a Christian in the video game industry and the value & purpose of video games.

The magazine is called Gamesauce.
The article is called "Conflict and Call"

It's a print and online magazine - for now, the article is listed on the main page of Gamesauce or here's a direct link to my article Conflict and Call

It's my first published piece - and honestly it's something of a miracle to get a piece like this published in a secular magazine aimed at an extremely secular industry. If you read my article and like it, please let the magazine know :)

Thanks,
Bill

I loved your article; I thought it was well written, an interesting topic, and I like the spin you put on game design/creation. Well done.

Great article! I cannot say I am a regular reader of that magazine - few hold my attention - but if that is the quality of articles they publish, it is an outstanding magazine with publishers who intend to be around for a while! I wish more were interested in quality content rather than flash/bang to sell.

For some reason, I can't get this to be big enough to read on my laptop. The format is all wonky. I'll check it later on my desktop, but it sounds like a great read!

Once I downloaded the .pdf from the website, I was able to read it. For some reason, your direct link to your article provided me with a resized single-page shot in my browser which, even at full screen, I was unable to read.

So if anyone is having trouble with this, try going to the website he linked, THEN downloading the article.

Trust me, you don't want to miss it. It's a FANTASTIC article. Is there any way we can support you to the magazine or other publishers? Rate the article or something?

Thanks guys! You can write the editor directly at editor@gamesauce.org and they welcome/desire feedback. There's a chance I could go speak at their conference next year about this kind of thing - so please do write them if you liked the article and let them know people want to hear more :)

Bill

It's a print and online magazine - for now, the article is listed on the main page of Gamesauce or here's a direct link to my article Conflict and Call
Wow. That is a fantastic article.

I've daydreamed of making games myself. In my usual habit of thinking things through to their logical conclusion and in my position as President of a Christian gaming group, I've asked myself many of the same questions. While my answers as Tribe of Judah President lean toward the fellowship opportunities games provide, the aspiring game designer part of me wrestles with how I could glorify God by making a quality puzzle game and if I should even try.

The phrase, "It's just a game" irks me as well, for several reasons, some of which you address in your article. I'm glad to know there are professionals already established in the industry who believe the same. I read so much about Bobby Kotick and the general greed that seems to dominate games "journalism" headlines that I sometimes get discouraged about gaming. This article helped remind me that others understand that games can be something greater than a method of profit.

EDIT: Tekton: By any chance, have you played Dragon Quest IX? I couldn't help but think of the story of DQIX (how it comes so close to Christian truths, yet ultimately misses the mark) when reading your article.

Last edited:
Thanks Tek.

I've gotten quite a few emails from people in the industry who read the article and all but one of them had the same story: "I'm glad to find I'm not alone in thinking about these things." That means while there are developers thinking like this (good!), they are spread thin and largely not in contact with each other (bad :().

I don't have a solution - but it wasn't always like this in the world...a few hundred years ago, Christian art was the bar to try to reach. Theology used to be the king of sciences - the whole concept of a university is a Christian concept. Now everyone is so specialized we can barely communicate with each other across professional boundaries. It's like the enlightenment was a Tower of Babel event - we can speak each others' languages, but we're not speaking each other's language.

I have no idea what point I was trying to make there...just thinking out loud.

I haven't played the game you mentioned - you're not the first to mention it to me - maybe I should check it out :)

Tekton

Back