In retrospect...

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife is the only member of my immediate family that is saved. :(

My brother is getting married in two weeks. He had his bachelor party on Saturday. I arranged the morning activity (golf), and we met up with the bachelorette's group at a restaurant in the evening.

However, the afternoon was unplanned. After golf, one of the guys comes up with the idea of going to Hooters (if you don't know, it's one of those wings, beer, and scantily clad waitresses places). My mind immediately started racing to figure out a way to get me out of the situation, but I was driving 4 of the guys. What to do?!?

What I did was call my wife. She gave me the excuse I needed-- she "needed help with the kid". So, I made my escape, and my bro went to switch stuff to the other car. At that point I told him personally about my moral objection to the place. My wife and I then met up with everyone for dinner.

So, my question-- should I have been more honest with the other guys? Should I have even said anything to my brother? I certainly didn't make up a reason to go, since my wife always needs help with our kid. :) On the other hand, was it my place to say anything at all? Thanks in advance for your answers.

you could of just said hey i dont like hooters, and that it is not my kind of place.

though hooters does have a stigma attacted to it, i would not personally avoid the place unless i have gone there and the rumors/ stigma i hear about it is really true. i know that the hooters down where i am from is not bad at all, the girls are not popping out or anything like what people say. (no i have not gone, my brother and friends have/ he knows people that work there). then again, what would of your presence there done? could you have helped them avoid some not so christ like ideas, or maybe turned the conversations around. Remember Jesus went to the sinners houses, and places, if you know that it is an area you will stumble avoid it, if you are strong enough in your faith i would encourage you to go, a person once asked, why does Jesus always eat with sinners, the reply is always, he never liked eating alone. are you better than your Lord? or are you going to follow his steps? points to ponder on.

Good points.

if you know that it is an area you will stumble avoid it

Bingo. I don't know whether I would or not, but I don't want to put myself in a situation where I might, and I don't think I need to "test" myself to find out.

are you better than your Lord? or are you going to follow his steps? points to ponder on.

It's because I'm not as good that I didn't want to stay. Good points though-- if you can go and not stumble, more power to ya. :)

You do not want to offend your brother or his friends, for that can place a wedge to hinder future ministry possibilities. So you found a way to avoid the situation and did so. You shared your heart with the person you needed to share with: your wife. And while your brother and his friends went forth to google and lust, you were home with the one whom God has blessed you with.

It was a difficult situation, but what you did was right. Although I do suggest that if any guy individually approaches you and asks you the reason why you didn't go, be honest with him. Tell him that you were married, and that in your heart you felt like you were betraying your wife if you were to go. And if he further inquires, you can tell him that its a command given to you by Jesus, for the betterment of your heart and your life. Or however you feel led to share through the Holy Spirit.

So worry not my friend. You did well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back