Interesting Reading on the Future of UT..

Here is a Very Good Article about the future of the Unreal Series, we were all a Little disapointed with the outcome of UT 3, Read this and judge for yourself :)

http://www.gamespot.com/ps3/action/unrealtournament2007/news.html?sid=6199622

It doesn't look like there will be another UT (sheds tear). Read this, it kinda indirectly confirms it :(. http://www.beyondunreal.com/view_story.php?id=12194

It appears that UT3 is dieing a slow painful death. Just for kicks i looked on xfire to do a comparison. CoD4 and UT3 came out roughly at the same time in Nov of 2007. I looked at the # of populated servers for CoD4 and for UT3 on saturday night 10-18 and this is what I found:

UT3 listed 483 servers which had about 50 servers populated.

CoD4 on the other hand had 13,111 servers of which about 2500 were populated.

The UT series had a nice long run, I hate to see it go :(. It pains me to say it but It looks like the UT Chapter's last days may be near at hand.

Last edited:
midway may have ended the license but epic could pull a semi-valve and jsut rlease directly on steam..:) I wouldn't say it's day are over..yet.

If you Read between the lines then one or more things could appear, The articles "Games" were made by Deduction, The engine will survive but I think that UT is better in the hands of another Developing company, like Atari, while Atari may not be the biggest name in PC Games, the company did a Fantastic job on 2K4, Midway the makers of UT 3 also released Blacksite: Area 51[another Unreal 3 engine game], this game was also half done and I think Epic is trying to do some Damage control. If this the end of the Series[Saddens my Heart] then the game has had a Long Life, at this point only time will tell for Unreal. The Forum post[Captain Tea's reply] confirms once again that the Gaming Industry is in the Consoles, Gears of War being specified here was one of the Flagship games for the Cross Platform gaming scheme cooked up by Microsoft, it does work but only on games no one really likes to play, as the article mentioned, anyone who has a High End System knows about Bit Torrent, well seems no matter what anti Theft system they come up with someone always Cracks it and this hurts Everyone who Purchases the games Legally, we can only Hope for the Best :)

Last edited:
There are a few indicators that Epic is abandoning the Unreal series:
  • Epic recently announced Gears will now be their primary franchise.
  • Sales of UT3 were--compared to other UT titles--poor. Epic was more concerned with selling an engine to other businesses than selling the best game possible to consumers. Consumers replied to Epic's approach with their wallets.
  • Epic lost the will to innovate. As much as I enjoy UT3, I recognize that it brings little, if anything, new to the first-person shooter. You can polish a pet rock until it shines, but it'll still be a rock.

In the link that Captain Tea posted, it stated that the Gears series may not come back to PC, I hope this is not the case as GOW is fun to play on PC and was looking forward to GOW 2, but we all said before that console gaming is where the Money is at right now and these companys are all about the Dollar[Except Epic, there in the Red], Ironic when you think of how much the Computer Industry has Grown over the last 3 years and How much Hardware has been developed for the sole Purpose of PC Gaming, but a console needs no updated Hardware to play a new game, I tell ya its a Conspiracy, if they can do it for consoles, then why not a PC[Just Rambling] ....

I don't think the cries of "PC is dead, long live the console" have enough legitimacy to start lamenting the passing of PC gaming yet--or any legitimacy at all.

While the Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii have been very successful, there are still metric tonnes of new titles coming out for the PC all the time. While we tend to focus on major releases like Unreal Tournament 3 and Call of Duty: World At War, remember there are still scores of smaller releases like Peggle Nights, Penny Arcade: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, and Sam and Max: Season 1. True, some PC titles will also see releases on other platforms, but that doesn't damage the legitimacy of the PC as a relevant platform for games.

I have a great time playing games on my consoles (Wii, Playstation 2, Dreamcast, Playstation), but certain genres of games (first-person shooters, real-time strategy, and massively multiplayer online) work better--for me at least--on PC than on consoles.

I don't think the cries of "PC is dead, long live the console" have enough legitimacy to start lamenting the passing of PC gaming yet--or any legitimacy at all..

I agree. There are plenty of very successful PC games CoD4 and TF2 are huge as well as many others. PC games also have much more versatility when it comes to online play.

I think that both Quake and UT have fizzled out because there haven't been any innovations in gameplay as Tek7 mentioned. Its just the same games with a better paint job. PC people on a budget aren't going to drop $700-$1000+ to play a prettier version of a game they already have. Especially when they can go buy a PS3 for $500 or less and play many of the same games.

I have said it before but there is no danger of PC gaming dying as long as you need a computer for other things (e-mail, work, web surfing, etc.) I do think you may see a drop off of the bleeding edge of technology group of games but if you already have a computer for other reasons it's cheaper to play games on it as opposed to buying increasingly costly console systems every few years (remember when consoles were $100?). I mean prices on "normal" computers are going down while prices on consoles are going up. You can get a almost complete computer (minus the monitor, mouse and speakers) for 500 dollars (a quick google http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_buyprebuilt_us2.html) it won't be bleeding edge but it should play some things. As long as the PC has as big a user base as it does someone is going to make games for it. Also consider companies like Microsoft will make sure we have to keep upgrading at least once in a while whether we want to or not.

I agree that the Pc will Never go away, considering its integration into the Daily Household, Use in Business and Not to mention Military applications, I was referring more to Epic than the Pc in general, In reality I think ALL Major Gaming Companies go through a Phase where one of their Flagship Games gets dropped, This may not be the case, UT could make a huge comeback with the next game[I for one will buy it] but as I said before, these Companies[all of them] are out for the Buck, so if a game they make does not sell then they drop it and every Company that makes games is releasing on Console and Pc these days, its just a shame we can't cross platform game :)

Epic VP Mark Rein has told Eurogamer that relations with publisher Midway are fine, and that the pair are working together on a "major expansion" for Unreal Tournament 3.
Source: Rein outs "major expansion" for UT3 News

I just hope it's either free or cheap. Unemployment does no favor for one's game library.

Back