Introduction to me!

Edumacations:

I know a bit of Java, C++, and Basic. And Flash Actionscript. which blows.

I'm not a programmer, I just know how to use stuff properly.

I'm a 1st year Liberal/General Arts student at SFU (simon fraser U.) hopefully transferring to Comms. I also hope to get a few certificates in computer training so that if I don't get a job when I graduate within my field of study, I can fall back on plan B and plan C...

And I'm tryign to learn how to ride a bike for the first time, since my parents were not keen on teaching me (they had their reasons, which I find quite reasonable.. more on that later). If anyone wants to offer tips, or offer recommendations on good MOUNTAIN bikes, that'd be great.

hehe me lubs my programming job.

as for coding for 40 hours a week. well, out of my 40 hour week, I spend about 10 hours in meetings (either formal or informal ) 3 hours walking around the office, 5 hours surfing the web to find an answer to any question I might have. 5 hours handling correspondence. 7 hours of brainstorming. Then finally I get about 10 good hours of actualy coding.

and to think, my office is actual a productive one.

Yeah, i have a hard time remembering Java or more specifically the javax GUI interface, but oh well

Pieman, that's cool, though I would get a minor instead of certificates, businesses understand minors more than they understand certificatess.
as for mountain bikes, I would start out with one from Wal-MArt that costs around 100 bucks, then as you get better and and decide that you want to bike quite often, upgrade through a local bike shop for one of the expensive ones if you're really interested in biking.

My bike I bought at WalMArt for about 98 dollars, and it lasted about 3 years of rough treatment before it died, and since I wasn't to fond of biking as a form of exercise, I didn't bother upgrading to a better bike

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kidan @ April 01 2003,7:03)]/me dumps a CMMI Level 1 certificate on Tromos

Take THAT!
You do realize that CMM / CMMI Level 1 is the default level that identifies a hack and slash computer engineering organization, right?

And I happen to be a CMM-trained assesor. Granted my organization is only Software-CMM Level 2, but its something.

But, if nothing else, it's nice to know that someone else somewhere has at least heard of CMM / CMMI.

I've never heard of CMM/CMMI. What is it? Is it programming related or something with development process?

Pieman, decide first if you really want to go mountain biking. Do you really want to ride through dirt and down bumpy mountains? Then you will probably want a mountain bike. Or do you want speed and aerodynamics on the road? Then you will want a road bike. I have a Specialized Rock Hopper which is their entry level into mountain biking. It's nice for both road and off-road. I've had a road bike, and they are too specialized for me. I also knew I wasn't going to really be a major mountain biker. I wanted something fun I could go in the dirt AND on the road. I've had my bike for 7 years and I really like it. Unfortunately, I don't ride it much anymore.
sad.gif
But the weather is starting to clear up around here, the days are getting longer (YEAH!), and my wife is pushing me to get out on my bike.

Check out this information from REI.

Kidan's advice is good. Buy something inexpensive first. See if you like it. You may find out you don't really want to ride all too often.

yes, mountain biking. and for transportation as well. Since a mountain bike can get you from point A to B, as well as ride in dirt and stuff, that would be better.

I'm not actually sure what level CMMI my org is at. and I know that CMMI 1 is the lowest level, that's the point of the joke Mr. QA :p

Oh.  *blush*

And SSquared - CMM is the Capability Maturity Model.  This was a software-specific process maturity measurement model.  It was developed and released by the Software Engineering Institute, a division of Carnegie-Mellon University in Pittsburgh.  The SEI was originally founded and funded in the late 1980s by the U.S. Department Of Defense as a way to help their critical software programs become more reliable.  By the late 1990s, the CMM had been adopted within the U.S. and European commercial sector as well.  In 2001, the concept was revised based on 10+ years of feedback and extrapolated to including other engineering disciplines (electrical, mechanical, etc).  The expanded version was called the Capability Maturity Model - Integrated (CMMI).

What does all this mean other than me having a terribly boring job?  The CMM serves as a worldwide method of comparing software engineering houses to each other using the same criteria for all of them, thus mapping each organization onto a common scale.

Hey!  Wake up!  
tounge.gif

Back