Is it worth goin wireless

inkelis

ok, I was thinking about goin wireless the other day. So i went down to the store to pick up all the goodies required, When i got there on the wireless router it says runs at 54 mbp/s But doesn't the ethernet run at 100? Please explain to me how all this internet stuff works.

I have had experience with wireless (I use it) and all I have to say is do NOT buy anything by linksys if you want to play games decently. Buy netgear. Yes, you only get 54 mb/s if you don't have a card and router by the same brand that both support 108 mb/s. I have this card http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833122134 and if you use it with this router http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833122022 you should get speeds of 108 mb/s. And that card is fantastic, it's just like being wired. But, yeah, like I said, never ever go with linksys if you play games. I play UT, and on a regular basis (around twice per round) I would get this lag where I would be stuck in one position, but I could look around and shoot. Even if that position was in mid-air! People saw me floating in mid air shooting all around and were very confused. It's much more frustrating than it is amusing.

A few questions first. Are you going to have multiple machines on a home network? Are you going to have your gaming rig hooked up to the router or wireless? Are you going to be transferring large amounts of data between the computers on your network? I need more info to be able to tell you what the best solution would be. Are you on cable or dsl? Which PC is located near your CATV(Cable) or Phone(DSL) outlet?

Wireless is notorius for creating extra lag for gaming. Also you will never get the total 54mbit/s. Yes LAN is 100mbits/s and you can almost use it all. As for wireless, you wont even use 1/3 of the network, due to interfearence and just walls and stuff, especially electronics, in a perfect static interfeance free enviroment, you can get 54mbits/s.

Most people average 2-3mbytes/s with 54g.

I have the linksys wrt54g wireless router, and i dont have a problem with gaming, its actually quite nice, good for port forwarding and a good QOS (after some firmware upgrades).

I have 3 desktops on 10/100 CAT6 LAN cables to the linksys, then 3 laptops on 54g wireless (1 has the extra range boost). Network transfering on wireless is pain stakenly slow. Takes hours to just transfer a few gigs, when it takes about 30 min to tranfer a couple gigs through LAN hardwire.

Make sure if you do go wireless, is encrypt with highest level of encryption possible by hardware (most likey 128bit WEP), if your hard ware can handle it and you want to go a bit fansy, go with 128bit WPA encryption.

Give me wireless or give me death!!!

I am not a techie. I am not a geek. I will always be wireless from now until they come up with something different. The freedom i have far outweights the downside. But, i use a laptop too.

will always be wireless from now until they come up with something different. The freedom i have far outweights the downside. But, i use a laptop too.

Hmmm... maybe i should invent jetpack powered ethernet cables... they float in the air and people in your house get a free round of limbo... lol

It just depends if you really need wireless or want your house to look nice...and stuff...w/o the wires.

Using wireless on my PS2 console since using wired has over 65 foot long of cables(1 1/2 floors tall).

My wireless internet games on my PS2 runs smoothly, but when it lags, its obviously issues; the interference with walls, other electronics; other players lag, someone died/left/disconnect and lagged the game, etc.

Obvious tip: If you want the best connection, the 54mbit/s connection, get wired. If you want to have no messy wires, wire free; get wireless.

I can give you a comparision between my wired and wireless internet speed on my PC(They are my ISP speeds, so yours may be faster or slower depending on your ISP):

Wired Internet

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Connection is:: 2507 Kbps about 2.5 Mbps (tested with 1013 kB)
Download Speed is:: 306 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (server2)
Test Time:: Fri Aug 19 2005 16:22:09 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
Bottom Line:: 45X faster than 56K 1MB download in 3.35 sec
Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 86.54 % of your hosts average (shawcable.net)

Wireless Internet

:::.. Download Stats ..:::
Connection is:: 775 Kbps about 0.8 Mbps (tested with 748 kB)
Download Speed is:: 95 kB/s
Tested From:: http://testmy.net/ (server2)
Test Time:: Fri Aug 19 2005 16:25:37 GMT-0700 (Pacific Daylight Time)
Bottom Line:: 14X faster than 56K 1MB download in 10.78 sec
Diagnosis: May need help : running at only 26.75 % of your hosts average (shawcable.net)

Linksys aren't great wireless gaming routers...but for those of us hard-wired gamers (myself included), I think it rocks.

i would be hooking 3 computers up the the wireless network, 2 would be for gaming werer not sure which isp we are gonna go through currently were leaning torward the cheaper quest 1.5 mb connection.

Me neither, 45 min on phone with tech support at a friends house, just to determine they are 41,000 feet from nearest DSL node.

The new ISP might provide a modem with built in wireless, depending on the ISP.

To tell you the truth, playing online on a wireless connection is not going to make any difference provided that you have a strong connection. You are talking about getting a 1.5Mbps connection. The 54Mbps wireless routers/nics will be more than fast enough to get you maximum bandwidth. The main problem with wireless is that it is not near as fast as wired when you are transferring files over the network. If you aren't planning to do much of that or won't mind waiting a while for big transfers then it should be a no brainer. I have a wireless network at home and I've noticed that some products work better than others. I recommend using D-Link's line of products. They seem to work much better than the Microsoft and Belkin products I've tried. The further your computer is from the router, the weaker the signal. The more stuff in between your computer and the router, the weaker the signal. These are two things to consider also. You probably won't experience too much of a problem unless you have a huge house where the computer may be pretty far from the router. I have one of my PCs one floor above and on the opposite end of the house as my router and I get a strong signal that connects at about 33Mbps. This was after I switched my network over to D-Link products. Before, with Belkin and Microsoft, the signal was always weak and sometimes intermittent.

Yea my house has wireless but sometimes it is strong is says then kaboom nothing could there be a reason behind that ?

Make sure to boost the output signal, most routers by default pump out 50% power, increasing that will give you better reception. My router is down stairs in a basement completely surrounded by 18 inches of steal reinforced cement. I can still get a medium signal at 11mbits outside in back yard. I increased my router power to 100% and signal went to max power at 48mbits. Transfering some huge files on wireless is a pain. Depending on your signal, you will be able to watch ripped dvds from another computer streaming it to a wireless computer.

Is there a switch on the wireless box ? or how would i go about powering up the box ? we have the linksys wireless broad band router... if that helps any

Ok, get into the router, for linksys, type 192.168.1.1 into your IE or internet browser address bar. Default password is admin, leave user name blank. Go to wireless, advanced and jack up the signal.

My router is down stairs in a basement completely surrounded by 18 inches of steal reinforced cement.

Least your home is sturdy. My home is built from wood and the signal is twice as weak as wired internet.

Ok, get into the router, for linksys, type 192.168.1.1 into your IE or internet browser address bar. Default password is admin, leave user name blank. Go to wireless, advanced and jack up the signal.

A suggestion, make you own username/password since, as you can see, everyone knows your password is ''admin''.

Back