Is Man an animal?

Goose62

I was reading in the "Freemasons" thread and came across this quote from DV:
Are you arguing that Man is a simple animal? I would argue against that and base my argument on cognitive thought.

What do you guys think?

I'd have to say that I don't totally agree with the above quoted statement. I do believe we are on a level above animals, only because I believe we have souls. If it weren't for that belief, then I would state that man is an animal. Cognitive thought is relative ... who knows, chimps might be thinking the same thing about us ;)

Cognitive thought is relative ... who knows, chimps might be thinking the same thing about us

Agreed! I believe that chimps actually run society-sort of like a secret society of super-intelligent animals that secretly control society. I may now be dead for revealing them, so if I can't finish my post it's becau

Lol, anyway I believe that humans are more than animals-why else would God hand craft us instead of speak us into existence at creation?

Goose62 said:
I was reading in the "Freemasons" thread and came across this quote from DV:

What do you guys think?

I'd have to say that I don't totally agree with the above quoted statement. I do believe we are on a level above animals, only because I believe we have souls. If it weren't for that belief, then I would state that man is an animal. Cognitive thought is relative ... who knows, chimps might be thinking the same thing about us ;)

Uh...if you read that quote you will see that I was arguing AGAINST man being an animal and justifying that by saying we have cognitive capacity.

So, essentially, you agree with me, just for different reasons.

I never once stated that you were arguing that man was an animal, so you don't need to point out the obvious in my original post just to make a point.

My point of this whole thread was to compare the different reasons behind why people think Man is on another level above animals. My reason is because I believe we have souls, and for our souls, there is life after our earthly death. I was stating that your belief, that the reason we are on another level, is because of cognitive thinking - which I believe to be relative to who's doing the thinking - also which I don't think is a valid reason as to why we are on another level higher than animals. You don't even know if other people are real, you're basing that off of the human interpretation of sensory preception from seeing, feeling, hearing, etc. All you know is what YOU experience - the rest is assumed.

Adam was given control over animals birds fish and was created in Gods image. I would say we differ from critters hehehehe well some of us hehehehe should see pnut eating supper hehehehe

Goose62 said:
I never once stated that you were arguing that man was an animal, so you don't need to point out the obvious in my original post just to make a point.

My point of this whole thread was to compare the different reasons behind why people think Man is on another level above animals. My reason is because I believe we have souls, and for our souls, there is life after our earthly death. I was stating that your belief, that the reason we are on another level, is because of cognitive thinking - which I believe to be relative to who's doing the thinking - also which I don't think is a valid reason as to why we are on another level higher than animals. You don't even know if other people are real, you're basing that off of the human interpretation of sensory preception from seeing, feeling, hearing, etc. All you know is what YOU experience - the rest is assumed.

Like your assumption that we have a soul?

Dark Virtue said:
I would like proof of the existence of souls, yes.

How do you prove the existence of something imaterial? That is, not of substence.
I can prove, Scientifically, That all humans who are alive have hearts. Are they all the same? No. Can I prove that you have air in your lungs? Yes. however, I can not prove that you have a cognitive thought in your head. I can prove you have brain activity, but I can not prove that it is of any substanance.

How do you prove that man is not an animal?
It is actually harder than you would think. During the time of Daniel, King Nebuchadnezzer lost all cognitive sense and lived like a wild best.
Did this make him any less a man? No. He was still a being created in God's image. Just as we all are.

The thing that seperates us from being an "Animal" is this in my opinion.
God created us in His image. (Don't beleive me? Check out Genesis 1:27)
He placed us over the Animals. Can we behave like animals at times? yes. Are we animals? No.

Well thats my opinion...

the_great_eskimo_pie said:
How do you prove the existence of something imaterial? That is, not of substence.

You can't, that's the problem.

You can make up all sorts of things willy nilly and call them immaterial, that doesn't mean they actually exist.

The truth is you have no logical reason to believe in the existence of a soul. You may want to believe they exist, but that doesn't mean they do.

And to clarify, man can have soul without having a soul.

I can prove, Scientifically, That all humans who are alive have hearts. Are they all the same? No. Can I prove that you have air in your lungs? Yes. however, I can not prove that you have a cognitive thought in your head. I can prove you have brain activity, but I can not prove that it is of any substanance.

Sorry, but cognitive thought can be perceived, therefore it can be measured and evaluated. Would you mind explaining why you believe it's not proveable?

How do you prove that man is not an animal?
It is actually harder than you would think. During the time of Daniel, King Nebuchadnezzer lost all cognitive sense and lived like a wild best.
Did this make him any less a man? No. He was still a being created in God's image. Just as we all are.

I think you are mistaken here. First of all, Nebuchadnezzer didn't lose his cognitive sense. Why do I say this? Look at Dan 5:21

And he was driven from the sons of men; and his heart was made like the beasts, and his dwelling was with the wild asses: they fed him with grass like oxen, and his body was wet with the dew of heaven; till he knew that the most high God ruled in the kingdom of men, and that he appointeth over it whomsoever he will.

Bold is mine. How could he have been given the mind of an animal and yet understand the lesson being given to him? Besides, this just brings up the literal/metaphorical problem again.

The thing that seperates us from being an "Animal" is this in my opinion.
God created us in His image. (Don't beleive me? Check out Genesis 1:27)
He placed us over the Animals. Can we behave like animals at times? yes. Are we animals? No.

Well thats my opinion...

I'm sorry, but you haven't really done anything to support your idea of a soul making us better than animals. What does a soul have to do with the mind anyway? Are they intertwined? Separate?

Scientifically, we are animals. We are warm blooded and we don't lay eggs, which makes us mammals, and we are self-aware and have a society, which makes us an upper primate.

Spiritually speaking though, we are different from animals. The Bible often makes clear distinctions between us and the rest of the living things on earth.

Man is animal.

Where does our difference come? We can kill any other animal on earth. That's why we have a civilisation that's stood the test of time.

Eon said:
Man is animal.

Where does our difference come? We can kill any other animal on earth. That's why we have a civilisation that's stood the test of time.

Man, I bet you're fun at parties :)

Back