Is "Only you!" offensive/correct from your "GB"?

Corpfox

Whenever someone tells me, "GB", I would always say, "Only you!"

Its suppose to make it feel better towards you since you are a christian.
Though, would "Only you!" count in your religious...stuff?

I mean what I said above, would it be inverted so, when you say "GB", its better for you OR is that what non-christians usually say?

To reject it and make it so thats it for you, only.

PS: I don't like saying/hearing the word, "God Bless".

I'm not really sure what you're asking.

Personally, I don't say "Bless You" or "God bless you".

I understand why people say it after you sneeze and such, but to me, as nice as the sentiment is, it's horribly outdated and most people have no idea why people began saying it.

From answerbag.com: "Many cultures believe that the person's soul or vital essences were leaving them through their mouth at the time of the sneeze, so a companion would pray in order to restore their health. The same holds true in European tradition, and most likely roots from the time of the Plague.

This tradition has carried on to the modern era from etiquette, as well, as when a person sneezes, it is usually a rather loud action, so by another person saying "Bless you", the focus is taken off of them by saying that they realize their sneeze was involuntary and that they were not offended by it, and also that they wish them to be well."

Dark Virtue said:
"Many cultures believe that the person's soul or vital essences were leaving them through their mouth at the time of the sneeze, so a companion would pray in order to restore their health. The same holds true in European tradition, and most likely roots from the time of the Plague.

This tradition has carried on to the modern era from etiquette, as well, as when a person sneezes, it is usually a rather loud action, so by another person saying "Bless you", the focus is taken off of them by saying that they realize their sneeze was involuntary and that they were not offended by it, and also that they wish them to be well."

LOL, I knew that. I say "Bless you" because I was taught that it was polite, and I've always done it. When someone says it to me, I usually say "thank you"...

Corpfox said:
Whenever someone tells me, "GB", I would always say, "Only you!"

Its suppose to make it feel better towards you since you are a christian.
Though, would "Only you!" count in your religious...stuff?

I mean what I said above, would it be inverted so, when you say "GB", its better for you OR is that what non-christians usually say?

To reject it and make it so thats it for you, only.

PS: I don't like saying/hearing the word, "God Bless".

Why do you not like people telling you God Bless?

Also, Most people say God bless after a sneeze becasue, as Punisher said, they are traied to when they are younger, just as most parents try and teach their children to say please and thank you.

The only question I have to you Corp Fox is this.... Are you one of those people who do not like to hear merry Christmas? Are you the person that happy holidays makes mad?

AS far as your question? I say God bless to most everyone. Why? Not out of politeness, because I mean it.

[toj.cc]phantom said:
LOL, I knew that. I say "Bless you" because I was taught that it was polite, and I've always done it. When someone says it to me, I usually say "thank you"...

Why even bother doing it though?

It's reminiscient of an old, superstitious time.

Unless you claim it now means something totally different than its origins. Good luck proving that :)

the_great_eskimo_pie said:

Also, Most people say God bless after a sneeze becasue, as Punisher said, they are traied to when they are younger, just as most parents try and teach their children to say please and thank you.

The only question I have to you Corp Fox is this.... Are you one of those people who do not like to hear merry Christmas? Are you the person that happy holidays makes mad?

AS far as your question? I say God bless to most everyone. Why? Not out of politeness, because I mean it.

Hey, even I smile and say thank you to a merry Christmas :)

No need to prove anything...I just do it to be polite...thats how I was taught, and I don't really care what it used to mean.

[toj.cc]phantom said:
No need to prove anything...I just do it to be polite...thats how I was taught, and I don't really care what it used to mean.

No offence, but it's quite frightening how many times I've heard that on here. If you don't know where you're coming from, how can you know where you're going?

Eon said:
No offence, but it's quite frightening how many times I've heard that on here. If you don't know where you're coming from, how can you know where you're going?

I already said I know what it means. I just meant that I don't care what it used to mean, I just say it because now-a-days it is considered.

[toj.cc]phantom said:

Ditto what Eon said.

That attitude is exactly what is wrong with religion.

hescominsoon said:
As a Christian i know here i came from:
unrepentant sin that leads to noly one place..Hell.

Wehre i am going with the Lord's salvation? Heaven. Quite simple..:)

EVERY follower of EVERY religion says something comparable.

Does that make every one of them right?

"I am the way, the truth, and the light. No one may come to the Father except by me."

So how, exactly, do you know you are going to Heaven when "God" himself is the only one that can invite you?

Is it similar to like: "God, give me a sign."?

I'm not a Christian, had a bad sneeze, or did something that I made you good of yourself, so technically, I don't deserve it.

I would smerk, so does that count? similar to this Smilies ;) , but its a straight smile, not a happy smile. ;-| or ;-E

DarkVirtue said:
Ditto what Eon said.

That attitude is exactly what is wrong with religion.
So, if you ever have a child, you won't try to teach him/her your beliefs (or disbeliefs for that matter)? And if this child grows up in an unbias teaching from its parents and happens to choose Christianity, this won't bother you in the slightest?

It's only natural to teach our children our beliefs. It's up to the children to actually keep that in motion. I've seen PLENTY of children raised in Christian homes and then backslide to do their own thing - I was one of them.

Goose62 said:
So, if you ever have a child, you won't try to teach him/her your beliefs (or disbeliefs for that matter)? And if this child grows up in an unbias teaching from its parents and happens to choose Christianity, this won't bother you in the slightest?

I have two children while I teach them what my beliefs are, I don't indoctrinate them. They're just kids, they're not old enough to make that decision now. By the time they are, they will have all they need to make an unbiased, objective decision. The difference is that I also freely explain ALL beliefs. Their decision is their own, not mine.

If they choose to be a Christian, I know they will do so because they have valid, logical reasons for doing so.

It's only natural to teach our children our beliefs. It's up to the children to actually keep that in motion. I've seen PLENTY of children raised in Christian homes and then backslide to do their own thing - I was one of them.

But you slid right back into what you believed was comfortable, didn't you?

The problem with religion is that it is force fed to children. So, naturally, they will reject it at the first opportunity. It's part of growing up and thinking on their own. How else do you explain the rejection?

I would rather teach my children to fish than give them a fish I caught. As DV said, basically.

If they decided to become born again Christians then I'm sure there would be some interesting discussions around the dinner table at Yule - sorry - Christmas. I would hope that at least they'd dig up some decent counter points though.

hescominsoon said:
Nopers.
"I am the way, the truth, and the light. No one may come to the Father except by me."

Sure, there's only one way to YOUR God, but again, how is that different than any other religion?

Christianity is just another book on the shelf of religion.

No more right, or wrong, than any other.

But you slid right back into what you believed was comfortable, didn't you?
Perhaps, but to remind you, I was doing my own thing and living a life as wordly as the next non-christian guy. I always believed there probably was a God, but I didn't care and wanted to live life at its fullest. So to say that was "comfortable" would be a stretch. When I came to church with my brother one night, God touched my heart and prompted me to go up to the altar and re-dedicate my life to him, which I have ever since.

Goose62 said:
Perhaps, but to remind you, I was doing my own thing and living a life as wordly as the next non-christian guy. I always believed there probably was a God, but I didn't care and wanted to live life at its fullest. So to say that was "comfortable" would be a stretch. When I came to church with my brother one night, God touched my heart and prompted me to go up to the altar and re-dedicate my life to him, which I have ever since.

You misunderstood what I meant by "comfortable". By comfortable, I meant that which you were used to, since you grew up in a Christian household. You back up this point by saying that you always believed there was a God. That puts you in a very different catagory. It sounds like you believed God existed, but you just didn't want to play by the rules. You wanted to "live life to the fullest" as you say.

Just a point of clarification...are you NOT living life to the fullest as a Christian?

Back