It's that time of year again...

lol Silly! Well, you barely listen to me when I do quote Scripture! I have seen the effect of not having Scripture reference!

Honestly, I have never considered it pagan. Isn't it iniquity that is sin that we do not realize? Funny, my daughter was planning a get together for the family and has decided against it! Amazing! The youngest daughter loves halloween in a "christian" manner! It made this time easier! Thanksgiving, too? Is that based on America and Christian roots?

Thanksgiving is a genuinely American holiday.

One that is aptly named...THANKS GIVING, for giving thanks.

No paganism here
smile.gif

lol ohhh, man! I am lovin' it! Thank you D.V.! What a landscaper! You partook in some mountain removal for me! Miracles! I just need to open my eyes, for there are miracles and blessing everywhere!

I think I need to clarify something DV. I am not where you put me yet. While my research has brought me to the conclusion that practicing the holidays the way we do is paganism, it is not a battle I have yet won. Every year we go though the same arguements and all I can hope and pray for is that it is sinking in.

I just don't want you thinking that I am what I am not. We still celebrate them like normal people do, I just try to keep the focus off the tree, santa clause and all the pagan stuff.

Cory

Don't apologize, if anyone mispoke, it was me.

You are where I believed you to be, fighting the good fight.

No one can ask for more than that.

I feel your pain
smile.gif

I "celebrate" Halloween, Easter and Christmas too. Through clenched teeth.

Ain't marriage grand.

It IS, don't get me wrong!

I have to be careful, my wife reads these forums
smile.gif

I am in a similar boat as Thad. I dont see that Christmas and what not as being valid things Christians should celebrate. Yet, every year me an the family have a row over it.

What's worse is that I'm am a member of the Salvation Army, and most of my wife's family are ministers within the SA. The SA is intimately tied in the public conciousness as a part of the holidays.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dark Virtue @ Oct. 26 2004,8:13)]Now this I can speak from experience.

When I was Christian my immediate family and I didn't celebrate Christmas, but EVERYONE in my extended family did.

Trust me, you'll get a cock-eyed look.  Then I'm sure they'll think you're trying to be better than them by not participating in this "Pagan" ritual.  But you have to ask yourself, what is more important, the respect of your family or the respect of your God?  This, I believe, is what Christ had in mind when he said to hate your parents and love him.  

Pardon my speech, but don't be a half-assed Christian.  If you're going to do it, then stick to your morals and abstain from these pagan rituals.  I truly admire Thaddius for doing this.  He KNOWS what is right and he is doing something about it.  It isn't easy, not at all, but if you truly believe in it, follow your heart.

It's not EASY being a Freethinker/Atheist, but I believe it to be right with every fiber of my being.  I will not sell myself short, and neither should you.

Someone just pointed out recently the verse that said, "live IN the world, but do not be a part of it".  Don't be a hypocrite.  You can't be a man/woman of God and dabble in pagan rituals.  1 Thess 5:21, "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good"!  (great, now I'm quoting verses like marcy
smile.gif
)
Interesting that you would say that DV...Does this hold true for following any religion?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aradia2 @ Oct. 28 2004,8:18)]If you're going to do it, then stick to your morals ...  It isn't easy, not at all, but if you truly believe in it, follow your heart.

It's not EASY being a Freethinker/Atheist, but I believe it to be right with every fiber of my being.  I will not sell myself short, and neither should you.

Interesting that you would say that DV...Does this hold true for following any religion?
Would this same idea hold true for anyone regardless of the religion they chose to follow?

Yes it does.

However, whatever belief system you choose, there will be those that don't agree with you. So be sure your choice is based on logic and reason. If your belief system isn't based on that, or if your belief system is flawed, then be prepared to deal with that.

There will always be people who don't agree. But from my stand point, no one should have to justify or defend the logic or reason behind their belief system.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]There will always be people who don't agree. But from my stand point, no one should have to justify or defend the logic or reason behind their belief system.

If you don't or can't justify your beliefs logically and rationally, then expect to always have David Koreshes and Jim Jonses running around.

To quote Dan Barker...

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Faith is a cop-out. It is intellectual bankruptcy. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by faith, then you are conceding that it can't be taken on its own merits.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Aradia2 @ Oct. 29 2004,8:02)]Everyone believes in something....even atheists whether theistic or scientific.
Yes, everyone believes in something, but not everyone has a logical reason for their beliefs.

There are those who think they must always persuade, lie or brainwash to get people to believe the way do and then there are those who know what they believe and why and that is enough. They do not try to make anyone else believe the same way.

That doesn't mean making a decision without logic and reason is ok.

If there is a RATIONAL, LOGICAL reason to believe, then go for it. Personally, I don't believe ANY religion falls under that catagory.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kidan @ Oct. 26 2004,10:29)]What's worse is that I'm am a member of the Salvation Army, and most of my wife's family are ministers within the SA.  The SA is intimately tied in the public conciousness as a part of the holidays.
Removing the pagan rituals, Christmas is a time of year that draws family closer. And some people, find themselves without family to draw close too. They see what everybody else has and long for it themselves. There are people who can't feed themselves all year round but during Christmas, it seems more pronounced, their dire need. The Salvation Army has taken up the task of looking out for these people. The Salvation Army does a very Christian act during this season.

I think there are "teaching moment" within each holiday to emphasize Christian teachings or points of view. Like your work with the Salvation Army, Gods_Peon, it is what you make out of them.

Back