Keep Engineering? Or go to Jewelcrafting?

Xandar

Well I am about to slowly level Tierc (60 druid) who currently has 300 engineering. For any of you who have 300+ engineering, is there really anything in it? the higher range looks a little bland to me. What do you think?

If I do drop engineering, I plan to go jewelcrafting for a switch. Any tips there? for those who have done it, is it worth it?

Not sure what to make of the eng. profession in tbc. Most of the other profs. seem to have alot of recipes and such avalable from rep, but I've only noticed 1 so far for eng. Are they all trainable and dropped? Eng. seems lacking thus far, but there are probably schematics that I'm not aware of yet.

Eng. aside, love my new avatar :)

Sean

Somewhere recently, I think that I read that Blizz was going to revisit Engineering. I don't have any further info besides that.

Yup. Engineering has always been a problem (or so the forums tell me). There is a HUGE epic thread in the professions forum on the WoW boards that blues are actively encouraging. It's a list of everything wrong with engineering and suggestions. Blues actively encouraging the thread seems to be a sign that changes are coming for engineering.

Thanks for the info. I guess that means I will keep it around, at least for now, and see if anything good pops up. At least I will be able to make some nice bullets for my Hunter soon *grin*

After reading the profession forum on the wow site, I came away with the impression that LW and Eng are both undesirable professions now. I have also heard that skinning is a pain because of all the scraps you get. But to be honest I read that issue another way. If you are a skinner, your skins should actually be more valuable because LWers and others will have fewer skins/hides available and will want to just buy some to make their gear. Am I wrong here?

Taking the Engineering profession in WoW is like owning a comic book store (for example) in real life; you don't do it to make money, you do it because you enjoy it.

Does having all the boom boom, bang bang round out your character? Especially if s/he is not a "pure" DPS class? Is it fun?

That might help you decide. :)

faust - I think you're dead on in your evaluation of skinning. From what I've heard, everyone is complaining (in general channels, forums, etc) about the lack of leather because nearly everything you get from skinning is scraps.

While it may take a long time to get a stack, you may find that you can sell that stack at a higher price due to the demand for leather while everyone is trying to level their LWing. Expect the market to stay high for a while - maybe another month or three... but at some point, it will come crashing down when a lot of people finally max out their level and profession and have time to farm leather to sell.

As a skinner and leatherworker, I do find the scraps irritating. But I think it is more psychological than anything else, as the concept takes you back to beginning skinning where you took scraps and turned them into light leather.

I think if they took out scraps, and replaced them with 1 knothide skin, with an occasianly 2-5 knothide drops as you skinned higher level mobs (and adjusted patterns accordingly), I think people wouldn't be as upset about skinning, even though the amount of skinning per crafted item would remain the same.

Anyhow, on engineering, it has always been I think about play style. If I leatherwork, enchant, jewelcraft or smith, I create items and either equip them or sell them, not really thinking about them much further.

Engineering however is an active profession, which essentially increases your "castable" options and thus adding complexity to playstyle. I don't know how many times on my warrior Grimgear I have kicked myself after dying or a group wipe when I realized I could have used so-and-so engy item to turn things around, probably because I was focused on using warrior abilities.

I think engineering has a lot to add to non-healing classes, esp warrior and warlock. But it is a profession you do because you want to increase your play options, not to make a profit from. If you find it fun, don't drop it. If you hardly use it to your own benefit, pick up a profession that will benefit you.

Nethaera

Engineering is on the list to be looked at. We are planning to do some work on all of the professions over a period of time. Whether you choose to drop engineering now and pick it up later or hold on to it and wait to see what happens with the changes we are working on is completely up to you.

There was another blue post (on the EU forums maybe?) where a blue said "we will be reevaluating all professions and engineering is certainly first on the list".

As for skinning, I'm not a skinner (well, I am but I haven't leveled that character past 60 yet) but I like the scraps idea. It's not as if they are worthless. Scraps can be turned into leather which can be turned into heavy leather. Even scraps helps. I think of it sort of like Motes/Primals vs Essences. I much prefer farming for primals to farming for essences. I'd rather have a 50% drop rate of motes and use 10 of them to make a primal than I would have a 1/20 chance at a primal (the way farming for essences is).

I personally dropped eng. on my pally as I have been lvling him. It has been a wise decision in the short term at least b/c skinning is highly profitable right now. I almost have enough cash rdy for epic mount questage on my pally while just lvling without direct effort to farm leather(skinning) or ore(mining). After the market for leather crashes I will switch my skinning out for enchanting probably. Keeping mining b/c it is such a pain to lvl it in the first place and having at least one money making prof. is never a bad plan.

Sean

Back