Laying a Fleece

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I read about Gideon laying a fleece when faced with an important decision (Judges 6:33-40). He made two trials to attempt to discern exactly what God wanted, and God answered him on both occassions in the affirmative.

I'm rather confused about this passage, specifically about our application to our lives. In what way do we "lay fleeces" in a Godly manner? Are there principles in place here, or is it just a random instance of something God allowed this one individual to do? In other words, the question can be boiled down to this:

1. Should it be done at all, and
2. If it should, how should it be done?

Thanks in advance.

I have often thought of that issue myself many times and the answer lies within our lord Jesus Christ.Luke 4:12,11:9+10, John 14:06-14:14(kjv) and even more than that, so our prayers can also be our fleece.

Luke 4:12-- Thou shalt not tempt the Lord your God.

Isn't that exactly what Gideon did when he asked God the second time? Yet God still granted Gideon the victory in such a way that it would only bring God glory.

Luke 11:9-10-- (paraphrase) Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, ask, and it will be granted, knock and the door will be opened.

John 14:14-- If you ask anything in My name, I will do it.

I guess what I'm saying is that I've been struggling with a decision for about six months now. I have tried to lay fleeces for it, but each time the "fleece" is answered in an inconclusive way. I am not, to the best of my knowledge, tempting God, and I am definitely seeking God's Kingdom first.

The desire of my heart is to do God's will. I just don't know what it is. I have asked, in Jesus name, to show me what His will for me is. Thusfar, He has not done it, though I have asked in His name.

I'm content if it's just that God knows that I don't need to know right now, but that has never been made clear. I believe it is His desire for me to know His plan for me, at least in regards to this decision, but I have nothing but a strong feeling to back me up on that.

So, I am earnestly seeking God's will. What I'm doing right now is going through the options to determine if there is something I'm doing that is preventing me from hearing God's voice in this matter, or if He is truly remaining silent and having me wait.

Edit: Not that I don't appreciate the effort to answer-- you definitely answered something similar to my question, and it was an encouragement, Slim. :)

Last edited:
Check this out in a different light.. Follow the heart for this is where it all begins do so in such a way that glorifies god and his message.I have faced a few major decisions that affected not only me but my family and this was all done by following my heart. Remember whom you serve and whatever the decision is does it glorify or can it!!!! Even if after the decision things might take a while to unfold but it will in a way that glorifies our lord. Remember who let who in da house... P.s. Gideon was before Jesus. Diff rules diff story.(tho i often wondered how he got away with that) Faith my brother for you will be taken care of. wOOt ty and I thought only my wool came back dry!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back