Level 70 Raiding Guide (where are we going with who??)

I was in a group last night with quite the creative strategy:

Bring the boss to (near) the hallway you came from and DPS him until he ports himself and everyone back to the platform.

Run (not tank) him down one side back to the hallway and DPS until the next port.

Now, run him down the OTHER side to your hallway and rinse/repeat.

The creative part is that the voidwalkers will generally be moving along the side you're not running him down. He'll run right past most of them, without getting in range. Sure a few will be able to heal him, but not too many as it becomes unmanageable.

I think that's the same basic principle that we used on the North/North/South/North pulling...get the voids going in opposite directions from where you plan on dragging him. I like the long pull down the sides tho. It'll take a tank that's quick on their feet. We tried the NNSN pulling with 2 different SGA tanks, and I could definitely see the difference in their kiting skills.

I have now done this a few times, and the quickest way I have seen involves pretty much all out dps on the boss. The pressure is on the tank. Tank takes him around while keeping LOS for the rest of the party and avoiding voids. Every once in a while a void gets close, then it needs to be crushed, but I think time is critical here. It is possible to take him out right before or just after the second summoning, and doing so you never really enter into the swarm of voids syndrome. The tank pulls him all over near the altar, just making sure to avoid the void packs. Similar in concept to above really, just the focus is on dpsing the boss.

The last three times I've been in SL, we've just DPSd the voids down as fast as possible. All DPSrs must stop attacking the boss to get it done, but it is quite possible with a strong group.

I was in a group last night with quite the creative strategy:

Bring the boss to (near) the hallway you came from and DPS him until he ports himself and everyone back to the platform.

Run (not tank) him down one side back to the hallway and DPS until the next port.

Now, run him down the OTHER side to your hallway and rinse/repeat.

The creative part is that the voidwalkers will generally be moving along the side you're not running him down. He'll run right past most of them, without getting in range. Sure a few will be able to heal him, but not too many as it becomes unmanageable.

Too much time is spent running in this strategy so not enough dps is happening. It works but you will probably find it is the more wipeable method.

Well, Saturday was ownage in SL for TF. Durruck, Ambryana and I (can't remember all the various others) laid a serious beating in there. We did it a few times and had no issues with the 3rd boss at all. From a dps perspective, we found a great way to do it. hunter up top, and two mages at the bottom of each staircase. The tank stays by the "book" and each dpser is responsible for their own voidwalkers. We had no problems getting them down and focusing back on the dude.

Angie, Connor, Lisa, Tarrus, and I completed SL last night, and if I can make a suggestion to rogues on this battle:
1. Use wound poison on a fast off-hand weapon. Shiv to apply 5 doses on the boss (decreases healing by 50%). Through the rest of the battle, the wound poison stayed at 5 for me, but I was always ready to shiv to keep it at max level.
2. Use deadly poison on your main hand. First of all, you are causing poison damage as well as physical damage as it stacks toward 5 on the boss. At 5, Envenom can do some awesome damage.

-Steve

http://www.wowwiki.com/Grandmaster_Vorpil

Third Alternate Strategy

After playing around with multiple strategies and failing we came up with one that does a bit of mix and matching with some "to heck with it" thrown in.

Our group consisted of Priest(holy), Warlock(affliction), Warrior(fury/prot - used two 1h for this fight), Mage(frost) and Hunter(marksman).

We started off by sneaking around him to the north hallway. We were all 70 at the time and no one pulled aggro while sneaking around back. Once there and ready the tank charged Vorpil and tanked him on his spawn point. The rest of the group focused dps on Vorpil without worrying about pulling aggro from the tank (which we never did). During this phase we ignored the void walkers all together. By the time the first port occurred we had him to 31%. We ran out of the fire and killed any void walkers that were in the north hall or too close for comfort. Once his rain of fire was done the tank grabbed him and started pulling him north towards the party. At this point all DPS was again focused on Vorpil. If the north void walker spawned the mage used frost nova and burned it down. We had him dead before the second port and no void walkers were nearby at the end.

The reason this strategy works, in my opinion, is that the dps never has to move (unless you have melee dps). Therefore, they can constantly be DPSing without interruption. It seems that lately the name of Blizzard's game is DPS or die.

This strat > all.

We have one shot him twice with this strat. You have to take out 3-5 void walkers at max.

I keep the highest dps person on Vorpil for the whole fight. The other 2 members take out the few void walkers that get too close.

Take out the void walkers that are too close during the rain of fire if possible, so no time is lost on dps'ing the boss. When you get ported, run immediately out of the fire into the north hallway again, take out voidies if needed, start back to dps immediately after aoe is over. We had him dead by the second summon both times.

The first run it was prot warrior, prot pally, rogue, mage, and priest. Second was prot warrior, kitty druid, mage, warlock, holy pally. Second group was a bit faster, but both were finished shortly after the second summon.

I was there for both fights that Tinie mentioned. I have done this fight many times, the first 5-8 times I actually entered SL, I was with an experienced group who tanked him at the book and we were always successful.

The running around like crazy strat (way south - way north, on the sides) always seemed comical to me and I never have done it this way with success.

However, I have to say, the strat Tinie dug up is by far the best. It is very easy, DPS is almost always on Vorpil, and can very easily target near voids without LoS issues. This strat also seems the most stress free too, just very easy to manage the whole encounter. But it should also be mentioned that you need a group (IMHO) who has geared up fairly well with most of the non-instance 5 man group quest rewards.

But it should also be mentioned that you need a group (IMHO) who has geared up fairly well with most of the non-instance 5 man group quest rewards.

True that. Shadowmoon Valley and Netherstorm ftw.

Great find, Angie!

I had no idea that you could sneak behind him like that. Based on the new starting position alone, I'd say that that would add about a minute of focused DPS on Vorpil. And Vorpil is basically a burn-him-down fight.

That and typically VWs do not spawn in the north hall until the first teleport is done and over with.

I'd say that that would add about a minute of focused DPS on Vorpil. And Vorpil is basically a burn-him-down fight.

Yep. I charge in and get 2 sunders and then everyone goes all out with everything they have. You must dps him as quickly as possible to win this fight.

Yeah last time I fought him we had the King of All Ret Noobs with us and Kevin is very effective in that fight.

We also found that dropping traps and concecration on his throne makes him a sad boy when he teleports.

I also want to say that Connor and I really are not just mentioning gearing up with the regular and group quests out of SMV and Netherstorm just in passing. Gearing up is really important if you want to be able to run these 5 man instances successfully. All the classes get some very nice upgrades from fairly simple quests from these zones. Yes they are long chains, but the rewards are very good. Look up the quests in the area, see if the rewards are an upgrade, and go do them.

Here are links for the quests and rewards in SMV and Netherstorm:

Netherstorm http://wow.allakhazam.com/db/qlookup.html?zone=117

Shadowmoon http://wow.allakhazam.com/db/qlookup.html?zone=118

Note that the Cipher of Damnation chain link doesn't list the final rewards from the end quest. They can be seen in this thread: http://wow.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?wquest=10588

If you need more folks for the group quests, I am always willing to help when I am on and available.

Also, the group I usually run these 5 mans with has the SL pulls and boss fights down well now, and we would be happy to rotate you in and get your first fragment for the Karazhan keying chain done. You need to do the prereq's first and they are Arcane Disturbances and Restless Activity that you get from Archmage Alurus outside Karazhan in Deadwind Pass. He then sends you to Dalaran and to Shattrath, then you should have the quest that sends you to SL to get the first key fragment.

So, gear up, get the quest, and we will be happy to help if you need it:)

There's two quests in Netherstorm (chains) that give me rewards I could use, and I'm sure I'd swap a few bits of gear if I did SMV.

The quest lines in Netherstorm give me some +teddyskill, which is a stat that I could really love to have.

Back