List of PS3/PSN games with locked save files

Just as an FYI, you do realize that the backup utility will back up protected saves just fine, correct?

Of course, protected saves are still a big no-no for consumers for a few reasons:
1) They are locked to a SPECIFIC PS3. There are was to "cut/paste" from one PS3 to another, but if, say, your PS3 died, your protected files would not restore to a new PS3.
2) No ability to simply copy to a USB.
3) Sure the backup utility "works", but who wants to back up all their game data? If I have 200GB of stuff on my PS3, I don't want to waste an hour or two and a ton of space to back up game files I can re-download.

Ultimately, there are two problems at work here. Copy-protected files (which I wouldn't personally boycott, but definitely something to be wary of) and the lack of a "back-up only save files" option on the backup utility.

...Wait, what's the issue? Not sure what that thread is trying to say...

...Wait, what's the issue? Not sure what that thread is trying to say...
From the thread I posted to the Eidos forums:
"Why make such a big deal about locked save files?" Anyone asking this question has very likely never lost a save file and, with it, hours upon hours of progress. Those who have lost save files understand why locked save files are bad for customers and they are more likely to back up their save files regularly.

As stated above, my wife and I have very few opportunities to play games together. If we were to play the game for several hours then lost the save file to hardware failure or file corruption, we would very likely move on to a different game.

Put another way: Time is precious and save files represent the time we spend playing games. Yes, we play for fun, but losing a save file and having to decide whether to re-play levels previously cleared or abandon the game altogether is an unpleasant situation and can be easily avoided.

Ultimately, there are two problems at work here. Copy-protected files (which I wouldn't personally boycott, but definitely something to be wary of) and the lack of a "back-up only save files" option on the backup utility.
I would accept Sony adding a "back-up only save files" option as an acceptable (though not ideal) fix.

I still think it's absurd that developers are still locking save files in 2011. At least on the Wii I was able to use homebrew to backup locked save files to a SD card and still play games online. I don't want to install homebrew on my PS3 because it's likely I'll lose access to PSN in the process and I don't want to take that risk.

I still think it's absurd that developers are still locking save files in 2011.

Agreed. I do think that it might make sense in some cases. For example, Demon's Souls is locked. That one I don't mind (as much) because it keeps things real. Not saying the good totally outweighs the bad, just that some cases aren't "as bad" as others. But for Lara Croft? Really?

I will say that this is annoying, but ultimately I am going to file this under "not a big deal". Why? Because locked files don't do what you're claiming they do. They do not cause you to lose files if stuff happens.

Not backing up causes you to lose your game files.

If your PS3 dies and you haven't backed up any files? Yup, you will lose them all, unless you manage to get a repair. There is no way whatsoever to get those files back without a backup. The only advantage non-protected files have over protected ones is the ability to copy them down to USB. I don't see this as a big bonus because while it may be quick and easy to do, it requires manual work on every game save you have all the time. Not very many people will keep up with that. Sure, maybe some people do and this would be nice for them, but it's usually not practical.

It's much easier to do a full backup in my opinion, and will get everything. I haven't lost all my files yet ::crosses fingers:: but what I will say is that when I did a harddrive upgrade without a large USB drive to do the backup/restore...it was a huge pain. Sure, the saves are definitely the most important since everything else can be re-downloaded, but I promise that if you need to restore files, you won't be wanting to re-download everything again.

All that said, the backup capabilities are far from optional (as mentioned above). I'd like to see:
1) Save File Only option for quick backups
2) Automated backups (or at least reminders); ok, so I could set a reminder on my phone, but would be nice
3) Ability to read NTFS disks. FAT32? Really, Sony?

Last edited:
If your PS3 dies and you haven't backed up any files? Yup, you will lose them all, unless you manage to get a repair. There is no way whatsoever to get those files back without a backup. The only advantage non-protected files have over protected ones is the ability to copy them down to USB. I don't see this as a big bonus because while it may be quick and easy to do, it requires manual work on every game save you have all the time. Not very many people will keep up with that. Sure, maybe some people do and this would be nice for them, but it's usually not practical.
I have a 4GB thumb drive I bought specifically for the PS3. The only time I remove it from the system is to copy save file backups to my computer. I back up save files after almost every game session, especially when I clear a particularly difficult level or objective.

So being able to backup to a USB drive is a very important feature for me.

It's much easier to do a full backup in my opinion, and will get everything. I haven't lost all my files yet ::crosses fingers:: but what I will say is that when I did a harddrive upgrade without a large USB drive to do the backup/restore...it was a huge pain. Sure, the saves are definitely the most important since everything else can be re-downloaded, but I promise that if you need to restore files, you won't be wanting to re-download everything again.
I have a 1.3MB connection so re-downloading all of my PSN games wouldn't be nearly as much of a hassle as having to re-play an entire game.

Also, I don't want to have to back up 100+ GB just to preserve a 100KB save file. The notion of a full backup being an acceptable workaround for copy protected saves is, well, unacceptable.

All that said, the backup capabilities are far from optional (as mentioned above). I'd like to see:
1) Save File Only option for quick backups
2) Automated backups (or at least reminders); ok, so I could set a reminder on my phone, but would be nice
3) Ability to read NTFS disks. FAT32? Really, Sony?
Yes, yes, and yes. Especially on point 3. I don't want to have to re-partition a drive just to backup my PS3.

I have a 4GB thumb drive I bought specifically for the PS3. The only time I remove it from the system is to copy save file backups to my computer. I back up save files after almost every game session, especially when I clear a particularly difficult level or objective.

Based on knowing you, I kinda figured this would be the response here. :)

Yes, yes, and yes. Especially on point 3. I don't want to have to re-partition a drive just to backup my PS3.

I don't even care about the reformat. I'm mainly concerned with being limited to 500GB and losing all meaningful file security. I'm sure it has to do with NTFS being MS, but what about NFS?

I've read something about doing backups via uPnP...I'll check into this to see if it is viable.

Speaking of which, got my 60GB back today. Now when I say "my", I refer of course to my new PS3 fat, not the one I sent in with all my game data.

Goodbye level 30 in each class Resistance 2 save. Goodbye WKC game save (OUCH! was really hoping to play that game again soon; hate to start over). Goodbye "only need to complete brutal" Uncharted save. Goodbye level-137-with-no-deaths-pyro-high-elf-in-sacred-2-because-that's-how-i-roll-but-thank-goodness-i-only-need-to-level-two-classes-to-level-15-to-plat-and-feel-better save.

It's heart-wrenching, but even worse is knowing that when I head home, I'll probably remember some games I missed here. Ouch. I'm typically good at backing up, and did clone my drive often not realizing that did me no good.

Back up your stuff with the backup utility, folks. Learn from my ignorance and pain.

Back