Looking For A Headset

[toj.cc]phantom

Tribe of Judah Membership Administrator
Just wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good gaming headset.

Here is what I'm looking for;

- >$30 (not including shipping, more is okay but nothing outrageous)
- Bluetooth (so I can use it between my PS3 and PC) (if there is a wired option that is fine too)
- Nothing that goes into my ear, I prefer the kind that look like earmuffs.
- Microphone

Thanks for the help!

I'm thinking about picking up a wireless gaming headset for my new-to-me PC that's currently connected to my TV. The way my living room is set up, I can't really use voice communication in-game (which is one reason why I've still been using my laptop for TF2 and L4D2 game nights, the other being the lack of a proper ergonomic setup for keyboard/mouse games in the living room).

Like Phantom, I'd like to use it for my PS3 as well, but that's not as much of a priority considering how few opportunities I've had to play PS3 games with CGA community members online.

I bought these from Rocketfish as an open box item on Amazon for $25 shipped. They are wired, so they may not be the ideal choice for youse guise. Still, I find them quite comfortable (I use 'em a lot at night for watching anime for prolonged periods of time). I've used them on TF2 nights with no feedback on them sounding bad for others. Being able to swap the mic side (from left to right) is nice.

I like 'em. They're not top of the line, but I find them more than adequate for my purposes.

They work with PC (no hassles when I used them in Windows 7; haven't tested other systems), PS3, and even Xbox. You can run them as dual-input (via USB and standard stereo audio making up the two channels), giving you a simple mixer-like control right on the little control unit. Kill mic and kill all buttons are another nice bonus.

I haven't done intensive quality testing with hi-fi audio, but I've found them to be quite satisfactory and haven't felt the need to figuratively level up my gear game.

Unfortunately, wired headsets are right out due to our living room configuration.

I already own a set of wireless headphones (already connected to my HDTV, but my computer's audio is routed to a stereo instead--a configuration I could change as soon as I get a 6' 3.5mm male-male cable) and a Bluetooth headset/headphones (currently paired to my work phone, mostly for Pandora during work days; I have a cheesy Bluetooth USB adapter from a few years ago, but I've thought about buying a new adapter to use with Motioninjoy drivers + a PS3 controller), which is why I haven't spent much time researching wireless headsets.

I may just cave and buy the "official" MotioninJoy Bluetooth adapter and use my LG HBS-700.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, wired headsets are right out due to our living room configuration.
Aye. Knew they would be for you. Brought 'em up since I thought the Phantom Menace might still care to see 'em, though.

If I could get that headset in a Bluetooth form... at a reasonable price... I'd be all over it.

And though peripherals aren't on my immediate buy list, I'll be keeping my eyes open for wireless options just because. :D

The closer to a wireless rig I can get the better. Spider's webs of cabling are anything but pretty. haha

Aye. Knew they would be for you. Brought 'em up since I thought the Phantom Menace might still care to see 'em, though.

If I could get that headset in a Bluetooth form... at a reasonable price... I'd be all over it.

And though peripherals aren't on my immediate buy list, I'll be keeping my eyes open for wireless options just because. :D

The closer to a wireless rig I can get the better. Spider's webs of cabling are anything but pretty. haha

I'm a menace?

This is the one I'm thinking about getting...

Link

[toj.cc]phantom;462287 said:
I'm a menace?
I'm in your forums, naming your Star Wars. :D

Anyway. Poorly executed Star Wars allusion joke aside...

...if that's the same unit I mentioned previously, I'm quite happy with mine. They're just not wireless.

...also, I totes left out a negation in my comment to Tek. Dang. That post was all kinds of fail.

I'm in your forums, naming your Star Wars. :D

Anyway. Poorly executed Star Wars allusion joke aside...

...if that's the same unit I mentioned previously, I'm quite happy with mine. They're just not wireless.

...also, I totes left out a negation in my comment to Tek. Dang. That post was all kinds of fail.

Oh I wasn't upset, I actually just forgot to put a ;) after the "I'm a menace?" part.

Back