March 22, 2007 - Enjoy the Happy Cake

Genesis1315

Ladies
Enjoy the ‘happy cake’
By Jon Walker

And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” (Matt hew 18:3 - NIV)

Ministry/Service — Today is my 11th annual 39th birthday. It never occurred to me, when I was singing, “We Love You, Beatles” with my sister and her friends, there’d be a day that “When I’m 64” was just a few rest stops down the road.

Henri Nouwen says, “To celebrate a birthday means to say to someone: ‘Thank you for being you.’ … On a birthday we do not say, ‘Thanks for what you did, or said, or accomplished.’ No, we say: ‘Thank you for being born and being among us.’”

My son, Christopher, taught me to understand this. When he was very young, he was captivated by birthdays. His joy overflowed when he saw a “happy cake,” and he kept a party hat in his room so he’d always be ready for a celebration.

Sometimes Christopher would spontaneously designate someone as the birthday boy or girl, and he’d start singing the “Happy Birthday” song. I never failed to see a birthday-designee light up like a candle on a cake when Christopher sang the person’s name. His celebration of each person’s life was infectious; it ministered to those whose lives Christopher celebrated in song.

You, too, can serve others simply by celebrating their lives. And your service to them is not limited to annual birthday celebrations. You celebrate their lives when you let them know how much you appreciate them, when you let them know they are accepted by you and by God, when you let them know they are important and uniquely designed by God.

This Jesus-joy in you will bring Jesus-joy to others. A ministry of Jesus-joy, a service of celebration – it seems to me we need this as much as any brick-and-mortar ministry we offer in the church today.

So, let me start with you: You are a sweet fragrance to God. He loves you, and when he thinks if you, it brings him great joy. He loves you; he likes you; he accepts you. He celebrates your life, and he wants you to join the festivities … Shhh, listen carefully. Is that someone singing “Happy Birthday” to you, my friend?

So what does this mean to me?

· Believe God celebrates your life – “I believe; Lord, help my unbelief.” You are made in the image of God, spoken into your mother’s womb. You are one of his masterpieces, conceived by his creative genius. Believe that, and the Jesus-joy with spill generously from your every pore.

· See others as gifts from God – Every person you meet today is a creation of God’s loving hand. They may not realize it, and they may not act like it, but they, just like you, were created by the Father. You can celebrate their lives and celebrate the love and acceptance the Father offers them.

· How does a child celebrate life? – "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” (Matthew 18:3 NIV) You know how trust, obedience, and joyous spontaneity is present in most children? Ask God to develop a child-like nature in you. Ask him to show you the things that keep you from trust, obedience, and joyous spontaneity.

© 2007 Jon Walker. All rights reserved.

The above content is provided in its entirety from purposedrivenlife.com and used with the full permission of the website. Additional archives of the Purpose Driven Life devotionals can be found in their archive.

Back